AEW Battle Of The Belts

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

I thought it was a decent opener. Dustin accounted for himself well, as expected. I liked the story, but will admit I wasn't a fan of the kickout after a Canadian destroyer through a table to the floor. Can't wait to see Dani Garcia and his socks challenging on Wednesday. They mentioned that they've got Beach Break coming up soon, assuming Cody only has to isolate for a week I wonder whether that'll be where they do the unification match? 

Starks and Sydal was alright. They did a nice job setting up Dante Vs Hobbs for Wednesday. 

I hope Hayter is alright from her ankle being underneath that table when it broke and landed on her. 

Not a bad show. Be good if they could get an extra hour and put all the belts on the line. Maybe that'll happen at a future event. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

How did the tapings work? I'm presuming there was a card for the live crowd too?

I'd like a six month moratorium on tables spots, interrupted promos, backstage beatdowns and the LIGHTS OUT!!! gimmick. Lay off the Charlie Tone.

They recorded some matches for Dark and they said some title matches as well. Not looked for results though, just going on from what Tony Khan said

4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

They recorded some matches for Dark and they said some title matches as well. Not looked for results though, just going on from what Tony Khan said

Just looked at the taping spoilers. Although it possible Jurassic Express defended the tag belts, Hangman was in tag action, and Jade Cargill wasn't in action. 

So yeah, it was a fairly setting set of Dark Tapings. Nothing to write home about.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Just looked at the taping spoilers. Although it possible Jurassic Express defended the tag belts, Hangman was in tag action, and Jade Cargill wasn't in action.

Definitely racist. Conclusive proof.

21 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I'd like a six month moratorium on tables spots, interrupted promos, backstage beatdowns and the LIGHTS OUT!!! gimmick. Lay off the Charlie Tone.

I’m fine with this if they use it for the right reason.

wBkF9f.gif

The opener was fun, but I find it hard to get excited about the concept of an interim champion. I’d love to see Dustin get more of a push in 2022; I still feel like there’s a great story to be told in having him challenge for his first World Title at some point. MJF or Miro would be the perfect opponent for that, when the time comes.

Starks/Sydal was what it was, and while Baker and Riho actually have great chemistry, I never found myself believing that Riho would actually win.

All in all, the entire show felt like the wrestling equivalent of a friendly match in football. Perfectly enjoyable, but utterly inconsequential. I hope they do a better job building up the next TNT special. 

It felt like a weak rampage, and a weird waste of a special. When they announced the tnt Saturday nights I expected it to be a longer clash of the champions style tv special inbeteeen ppvs. Then when they said an hour i expected something of consequence to happen on it. Instead it was really a nothing card with lower card talent. 

• Paid Members

Britt Baker matches are struggling due to interference. It maybe just me that feels it, but so much of it was going okay until someone outside needed to be involved in a spot and then it just got clunky and disorganised. 

It feels like they're setting up for Hayter to be the one to take the belt off Britt, but I can't see a crowd cheering her when she turns, despite them clearly thinking they've got the female version of MJF/Wardlow perfectly nailed on. 

Pretty obvious imo that these specials were pushed on Khan by TNT. 

Still though there was some fun there.

Interim bollocks aside I enjoyed Dustin Vs. Sammy, though Dustin would have been the more interesting choice to win by far imo. 

Garcia Vs. Sammy should be great and I'm always game for more 2.0.

Britt's reign is dogshit imo but I'm enjoying the tension with Hayter being built up and there were times where it could be spun that she was trying to cost Britt the match.

Problem is though I don't see Britt being a better face than she is a heel. 

• Paid Members

Yeah, if they do split Hayter away from Britt they'll still cheer Britt and chant along with the DMD, which is about all she's got going for her. 

1 hour ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

How did the tapings work? I'm presuming there was a card for the live crowd too?

It was live in the US at 8pm on the East Coast. They taped Dark before and after. Very much a Dark set of matches. Slight difference was that Jurassic Express and Jade Cargill had Eliminator matches (beat the champion get a proper title shot).

If I had bought a ticket for this I would have been rather disappointed. The bar was set very high with the name and the visual of all the championships on the line.

I'm still not sure if Battle of the Belts is the regular branding for these specials. The way they used the specific matches/titles as part of the intro made me wonder it's something they would repeat but make bespoke each time.

WIth their use of AAA, IWGP, and NWA titles it's not like they would be stuck only using their own.

• Paid Members

A humdrum show that was significantly less enjoyable than most episodes of Rampage, including the Rampage the night before. I can't say I really enjoyed, or cared about anything on that show at all.