AEW Battle Of The Belts

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I didn’t like the way Sammy sprung up at a 9 count and got back in the ring after the pile driver

Weirdly, after the piledriver on the floor he started selling his knee instead of his neck which was quite confusing. 

2 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Weirdly, after the piledriver on the floor he started selling his knee instead of his neck which was quite confusing. 

He’d just done the knee into the stairs before, hadn’t he?

It did make me laugh. Like he’d been knocked out, woke up, shook his head like it was a scooby doo cartoon and remembered his knee hurt.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, AshC said:

What was the context of this? I'm presuming finish and multi-month injury lay-off?...

You wish. 

16 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

As a curio, in AEW why can tables be used in normal or title matches are they No DQ as standard?

Nope the refs just seem to let things go far too often 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

As a curio, in AEW why can tables be used in normal or title matches are they No DQ as standard?

Presumably, because they're part of the environment around the ring. Putting someone through a table isn't the same as using a table as an offensive weapon. Bringing it into the ring would probably be an issue too. Logically, it doesn't bother me that much.

Overall, I really enjoyed this show - it wasn't one of their higher-tier offerings, but it was solid throughout. Not sure why it's been getting so much hate - mind you, I was looking at it as an extra event more than a special one.

As tiny as she is, Riho is genuinely astonishing in terms of her ability to get a crowd to care, even from a fairly cold start. Every time I've seen one of her matches, the crowd get incredibly into it as it goes on. I don't think I've seen one of her matches where that hasn't happened.

• Paid Members

A referee's excuse for why tables are sometimes permitted in standard matches is the same as why you wouldn't DQ someone for putting their opponent through the announce table, or throwing them into the ringsteps. You're not striking with them a weapon, you're performing a move on to them and there just happens to be an object in the way, so it can be deemed incidental rather than intentional.

That's bollocks in 90% of cases, and refs shouldn't be allowing wrestlers to bring tables into the ring in No DQ matches, but if the table's on the outside, and the ref is too busy with what's going on inside the ring to get out and prevent them using the table, that would be my justification if I were in their shoes. In general, AEW seem to have a bit more of the old school approach of treating outside of the ring as a bit more lawless than inside, so something that would get you disqualified inside the ring they're more lenient about on the outside.

As tiny as she is, Riho is genuinely astonishing in terms of her ability to get a crowd to care, even from a fairly cold start. Every time I've seen one of her matches, the crowd get incredibly into it as it goes on. I don't think I've seen one of her matches where that hasn't happened.

She's absolutely fantastic, and I think her being tiny plays a part in how she gets the crowd invested, because she's just a perennial underdog. It doesn't always come across on TV, but anyone I've seen that was trained by Emi Sakura has that ability to just pull people in to their match no matter how dead the crowd were beforehand. Emi herself is someone I've seen take an absolutely silent crowd and get them popping for every near fall. I saw her go on and wrestle after a pretty serious in-ring injury happened in the previous match, and I didn't think anyone would be able to get that crowd back to a point where they would be cheering, heckling and laughing at all the right spots, but she managed it within a couple of minutes. Whatever she teaches them, it works.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

Presumably in spite of all the crowd noise the referee didn't see Fuego Del Sol pop out from underneath the ring and set the table up, or get chased away from ringside by Arn, so tha table was obviously always there. Since he had no idea who set it up he can't declare any one competitor responsible, and realised when they started jostling on the ring apron that he should probably let it happen because it'll be safer than Sammy taking a Canadian Destroyer straight to the floor.

The next logical step is obviously that they should surround the whole ring with tables to make it safer for when people go over the top rope. An idea Bill Watts would be proud of. Good job there was another one there for the main event. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

Speaking of referees, Bryce Remsburg REALLY lets you know when it was just a near fall.

I love Bryce. Aubrey too - they're both really good at helping carry along stories and adding to it without detracting or overshadowing. Bryce is also low-key hilarious.