AEW Battle Of The Belts

Jazzy G

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

It was live in the US at 8pm on the East Coast. They taped Dark before and after. Very much a Dark set of matches. Slight difference was that Jurassic Express and Jade Cargill had Eliminator matches (beat the champion get a proper title shot).

If I had bought a ticket for this I would have been rather disappointed. The bar was set very high with the name and the visual of all the championships on the line.

You got 3 title matches plus saw other big names. It was your average rampage not a PPV. Tickets started at $25. I’d be happy to see that amount of star power for so little money personally.

11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

You got 3 title matches plus saw other big names. It was your average rampage not a PPV. Tickets started at $25. I’d be happy to see that amount of star power for so little money personally.

When you buy tickets for a standalone Rampage you know you're getting an hour of TV and Dark/Elevation.

That's not what this was billed as being.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

It feels like they're setting up for Hayter to be the one to take the belt off Britt, but I can't see a crowd cheering her when she turns, despite them clearly thinking they've got the female version of MJF/Wardlow perfectly nailed on. 

I think it's far more likely that Britt turns babyface and Jamie stays heel than trying to force Jamie Hayter into a babyface spot that doesn't suit her against a heel people want to cheer for.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I think it's far more likely that Britt turns babyface and Jamie stays heel than trying to force Jamie Hayter into a babyface spot that doesn't suit her against a heel people want to cheer for.

I'd agree but they've consistently been pushing Britt to be the one annoyed at Hayter, and with Rebel still cheating for Britt and that little interaction Hayter and Rebel had right at the end it just feels more like they're trying to push Hayter as a bad ass who won't be controlled or pushed around. 

I hope I'm wrong because as you said, I can't see Hayter playing baby face well and Britt will get cheered everywhere. 

• Paid Members

Between the great match with Dustin, the brilliant brawl with Garcia and then the super fiery backstage promo, Sammy’s already had a better run as Interim Champion than when he was holding the real belt and wrestling nobodies in workrate exhibitions.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

When you buy tickets for a standalone Rampage you know you're getting an hour of TV and Dark/Elevation.

That's not what this was billed as being.

It’s billed as a battle of the belts. It was billed as a special event. Belts were battled for.

I thought the opener was very good, or at least had very good bits, but the ending felt a bit small considering how big some of the spots in the match were.

Everything is always so big in AEW, that unless the finish matches the grandiosity, it can feel flat. We had a pile driver on the floor, a destroyer through a table, a murderous Cross Rhodes, a double Cross Rhodes… and then it finished as they traded pin attempts like most matches do in the first 5 minutes.

I didn’t like the way Sammy sprung up at a 9 count and got back in the ring after the pile driver, I didn’t like how he basically no sold the double cross Rhodes… but yeah, I did enjoy the match on the whole. Promise.

I just think AEW need to make their peace with the fact that some things can be smaller.

Absolutely no time for Danny Garcia. Looks like a child and pulls silly faces.

I quite enjoyed the Ricky Starks match. I used to hate Starks, but I’m growing to like him… he’s quite campy, in his own way, which I’d like to see them lean into. He’d be a fantastic, flamboyant heel… almost Flair-ish, as he gets a bit older.

Hobbs has a tonne of presence.

Main event was fine. I’m not a huge Riho fan and I sighed when they went for another table.

Dynamite looks like it could be good.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I think some of the problem with 2.0 and Garcia, and by extension a few more of the people that sometimes turn up on the roster is how they appear to somebody who just watched Dynamite & Rampage compared to if people also watch Dark & Elevation. So some people may be picking up a lot of wins and looking really good on Dark & Elevation, and people who follow them on those shows may think they've got a shot at the big time when they make it to Dynamite & Rampage, but when you just watch the main shows they come across as jobbers to the stars with delusions of grandeur. I'm sure they're a decent act and can put on good competitive matches in the lower leagues, but they're just those that one with the socks and them other two that almost always get their arses handed to them on the main shows. 

• Paid Members

I love 2.0 and Garcia. Great bunch of dickhead mid-carders. Always deliver fun matches, make everyone they face look great, fun throw-back 80s promos, and Garcia in particular shows glimpses of technical greatness in one-on-one matches. I can’t wait for the inevitable Garcia vs. Danielson match.

Much like Jake Atlas on Rampage this week, 2.0 have really exposed how beige and boring that last year of NXT Black and Gold was. I genuinely have no memory of any of them wrestling in NXT, and certainly not doing anything that stood out. Then they all jump ship and instantly become some of my favourites. Burn the Performance Center to the ground.

Honestly I only watch the youtube shows when I see a particularly interesting looking card. 

2.0 are just the kind of goofy blowhards that I never get bored of watching get beaten up and afterwards they effortlessly get into another beef with someone else. 

Perfect act that can go from the lower card one week to taking a kicking in a TV main event the next.