AEW Battle Of The Belts

Jazzy G

• Paid Members

Aubrey's good. Remsburg can be a bit much sometimes. He was good in his beekeeping gear for the exploding ring. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Merzbow said:

Rick Knox is the absolute worst of the lot, I don't think he's ever looked up the rules to a tag match yet is positioned the main guy to ref them.

Oh no, that must lead to heels taking advantage and even cheating occasionally.

6 minutes ago, Chris B said:

Oh no, that must lead to heels taking advantage and even cheating occasionally.

Nah fuck off, it'd make sense if it was just the heels but he consistantly just lets either side get away with anything like he's not there. I get that modern tag wrestling is more dynamic and has a totally different flow but at least make it a little more credible at times.

Edited by Merzbow

• Paid Members

I disliked that about him for a little bit, but have started appreciating it more - they want to facilitate the kind of matches they want to do, and some of the wrestlers have been disparaging about Knox as well (in-character). I look at him as being an intentionally slightly crap referee - we have Aubrey as the super-pro one, Bryce as the funny/emotional one, and Knox as the slightly hopeless one everyone takes advantage of. 

While the rules are more flexible, I go on the basis of 'play continues' to justify it. An unfair advantage from double-teaming is something that should be more behind the ref's back. When it's even in the ring, it's less of an issue (like with Fenix and Jungle Boy one-upping each other last week). And when it's fast (like the 'multiple dives to the outside' spots), and everyone's pretty much down by the end of it, it's just about keeping play continuing. My rationale is that AEW management are fine with some lax rule-keeping, but don't want it to lead to unfair advantages. And, either way, facilitating it is why it's usually Knox in the tag matches.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

Unless you're looking for a good deal on some merch. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members

With Rhodes and Guevera, I took it that once the table was set-up, they were both trying to put each other through it, so it seems reasonable for the ref to let it go and rule that whoever does go through has no cause for complaint.

1 hour ago, ReturnOfTheMack said:

I enjoyed the show. It wasn't mind blowing, and I'd have probably reversed the match order - Britt and Riho were always going to have an enjoyable match, but one with very, very little doubt to the victor. 

Also, first US wrestling I have watched live since about 2005ish. 

I agree about the match order. For the most part, I love AEW, but a consistently frustrating thing is them always starting the show with the biggest/best match. I understand wanting to start off hot, but it means the show peaks in the first 20 minutes and goes downhill from there- not by a lot, usually, but I feel like it's better to finish on your highest note.

• Paid Members

I always see it as if it happens outside the ring there's a little leeway, but with tables, even if it's every bloody match it is that statement about it being used as a "floor" rather than as something swung. Otherwise we could get into logistics about people going through barriers or even being slammed outside the ring.

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said:

I love AEW, but a consistently frustrating thing is them always starting the show with the biggest/best match.

I'm fine with it when it is logical - the two Hangman-Danielson matches going on first made sense because they need to allow for a potential 60 minute match, and I think they often apply the SNME logic of putting the main event on first on Rampage cos it starts pretty late.

It does annoy me though when they subsequently insist that the match that ends up going on last is the "main event" even when it's plainly not. It wasn't really an issue on this show as Baker/Rhio was a worthy main event (especially after the TNT title match had to be switched up) but it's a bit glaring sometimes, like on one of the early Rampages when Andrade & Pac had just had that cracker (that had been originally slated as a PPV match) but they immediately tried to tell us our "main event" of Bunny vs Red Velvet (or similar) was still to come.