Who Carked it in 2022?

Devon Malcolm

As a kid growing up in Coventry in the late 70s early 80s, it’s hard to describe exactly what Terry and The Specials meant to the city. Where I grew up was, and still is, known as County Coundon due to the high number of Irish immigrants living there. It was next to Spon End, where Terry lived. He was a dour looking guy but always had time for everyone.  Many a time we would see him and say “Alright Terry” and he’d nod or wave with a smirk. 

Obviously I’m not black, but The Specials were massively important in the social cohesion of the city. Immigrants loved them, and locals too.  They represented the melting pot that Coventry was back then and highlighted the tensions between some communities. They were OUR band! They were made up of immigrant origin and Coventry families, but they were Coventrys band. When they did the comeback gigs, middle aged men wept openly at them because it brought back that joy, that camaraderie we all had at the time. 

And he wrote some cracking songs too! The best Lightning Seeds songs were the ones he co wrote in my opinion. 

Once, a few years before the reunion gigs, my brother was going into Piccadilly records in Manchester as Terry Hall was leaving. My brother clocked him at the same time as he clocked my brothers Cov City jacket and they smiled and nodded at each other. He was also a Man Utd fan but nobody’s perfect. 

Hope you Enjoy Yourself first, Terry. 

Gutted about Terry Hall.

The Specials are an all-time act, obviously, but I really, really liked his solo stuff from the mid-90's, too. I had Laugh and Home on regular rotation when I got my first car and used to drive around listening to them, wondering why nobody else seemed to know about these great records. 

RIP. 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Just seen this. Fucking hell. That is an absolute kick in the teeth. I'm gonna ring my old man, he will be devastated. 

I text my Dad as soon as I found out, he's absolutely gutted. 

A great man from a great band. Were still fighting the cause and putting out good music in recent years too. RIP

Edit: Nite Klub is an underrated track for me. My dad used to play this in the car all the time when I was a kid.

Edited by PunkStep

When I read about him passing away I felt like someone had kicked me square in the bollocks. Hard to understate what he meant to me. The Specials obviously will get the most attention, but Terry was so much more than that. Someone has posted HOME up there, and his version of SENSE is fucking beautiful. I got to meet him through work a few times when The Specials reformed and he was incredibly dry with his wit. Was a pleasure to meet him and I did fanboy all over him and get my albums signed. He was an absolute gentleman about it.

As people are posting songs they loved, here's one that I only came upon a few years ago much to my shame. His voice was just something else. Haunting and funny. This absolutely sucks.

• Paid Members

Martin Duffy from off of out of the Charlatons and Primal Scream has passed away at the age of 55.

BBC News - Martin Duffy: Primal Scream and Charlatans keyboardist dies at 55
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-64038944

• Paid Members

Its a shame that I discover a lot of stuff that I really like, after someone has passed. I have discovered more about Terry Hall today than I ever have previous and whilst I like The Specials, I don't know much of their back catalogue outside of the main songs. Terry had a tremendous voice, I will be sure to be checking out a lot more of his music.