AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

14 minutes ago, Duke said:

I also agree completely with @RedRooster(I think it was) who said that part of the reason it felt bad that it was in the middle of the show. It's not like the main had a clean finish, if they've ended with this I think it would've hit different.

It could end up being perfect, depending on what they do next, it's just hard to see what that will be.

That might well have something to do with it. I've long hated the structure of Dynamite, where they essentially bung their big stuff on that first hour, putting your main event stars in the midcard, all due to advertising or some such. If this had been built up and signed off the show, then I think it might have gotten a positive WTF rather than a negative WTF.

In fact, I'm more annoyed they didn't hold this exact finish off for the PPV. If it's true that this was brought forward due to Punk meta-storytelling or pulling a Bret in Montreal, then that's robbed us of Moxley in full-on antagonistic thug mode, rolling into Chicago as champ then battering their hometown boy in a minute. Hell, Mox gets in the face of and chucks bottles of water at fans he likes; imagine what he'd do with that crowd. Send them out there with 20 minutes to go on the card, do that exact same match, then have the last 15 minutes just the BCC lording it up, soaking in the jeers and garbage pelting the ring. Regal stomping around with a wild-eyed grin, barking "Undisputed!" at the camera. Cesaro doing his twatty arm-pumping to a chorus of boos. Mox giving it the NJPW in-ring post-match promo, proclaiming that the best in the world is in the BCC, while Danielson gives him knowing side-eye in the background.

You could argue at the moment there's a similar story going on with Kenny Omega. Guy came back from injury too early, but he's being able to cover for that surrounded by his mates in Trios action.

Punk came back early. Seeing Mox call himself the real World Champion and Chicago round the corner. It's played to his CM Prick ego. Setting up a rematch is fairly easy in traditional wrestling terms "You might have beat me, but I never quit" = I Quit match or any number of gimmicks.

I mean there's harder things to believe. People shrugged off Wardlow squishing Punk like a bug only to sneak the win.

I'm still mainly against it due to the timing of the PPV. If you've seen the Quarter-hour breakdowns in the ratings. It will surprise no one that the Undisputed World Championship match between two of AEW biggest name stars ranked #1.

• Awards Moderator
30 minutes ago, Duke said:

I also agree completely with @RedRooster(I think it was) who said that part of the reason it felt bad that it was in the middle of the show. It's not like the main had a clean finish, if they've ended with this I think it would've hit different.

Putting it at the midpoint of the show made sense to me. We've already seen that World Title matches on Dynamite have the potential to go the full hour - if anything, putting it here telegraphed it less. If the main match starts 20 minutes before the end of the show, well, I guess that match is going around 15 minutes. Here, it's less predictable, but has a logic to it, which is nice.

Also on this episode, it's the best Will Ospreay has looked in AEW, but I still thought PAC was better than him in every respect. 

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
26 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

You could argue at the moment there's a similar story going on with Kenny Omega. Guy came back from injury too early, but he's being able to cover for that surrounded by his mates in Trios action.

That's one of my problems with it - two "did they come back from injury too early?" stories are going at once, both leading into the same PPV. On top of that, if Punk and Omega both come out of All Out with titles, then the answer to both of those questions is presumably "no, turns out it's fine". In Omega's case, there's more mileage in it as it's possible for his team to still win even if he's too hurt, but at the moment it looks like the same story playing out twice on the same card.

• Paid Members

The other thing with the placement, if you’ve booked a 3 minute squash, if you put it on with 5 minutes of the show left, you know something is going to happen. Either squash or screwy finish. It was smart placement because I assumed it was going 15/20 minutes.

3 hours ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Putting it at the midpoint of the show made sense to me. We've already seen that World Title matches on Dynamite have the potential to go the full hour - if anything, putting it here telegraphed it less. If the main match starts 20 minutes before the end of the show, well, I guess that match is going around 15 minutes. Here, it's less predictable, but has a logic to it, which is nice.

Looking at it from an "...if AEW was real" perspective, yeah, that makes sense. But from a "how will this make fans feel?" perspective, I don't think it was the right move. If they'd had the trios match take place in the middle of the show, you'd be heading into the title match on a high. You could start it with 15-20 mins left, and remind the audience that if the match goes over the hour, they have as much extra time as they need from TBS. You have the entrances, Moxley wins, then cuts his passionate promo in ring (if you want, that could be bumped to Rampage) as an injured Punk hobbles away from the ring. I think you leave that show feeling stunned, and anxious to know what happens next. Clearly, not everyone feels the way I do, but it seems to me that enough people do, for this to be a relevant point. 

On another note, I think AEW and Tony Khan have missed some massive open goals recently. FTR and The Bucks for the tag titles could have, and should have happened; either at, or before All Out, if they're really set on doing that Trios match. There were so many better ways of following up Wardlow's win over MJF than feuds with security guards, and Scorpio Sky. Heck, putting the TNT title on Sky was in itself quite an obvious error. I'm not sure if it's a case of him consistently making bad choices, or if he's simply trying to people please (in relation to the wrestlers), to the detriment of his product. 

Only dip in and out of AEW, not as invested as many of you clearly, but fucking hell that Moxley/Punk match was entertaining as hell, and told a great story in my opinion.

Seen some people say this makes Moxley look weak as a champ beating an injured man...erm no. It makes him look like a psycho who smells a weakness and preys upon that when he sees it.

He looked the fucking man throughout. No idea where it's all going, but more please. 

The Jericho/Danielson stuff was entertaining as well, and the main event was great. The rest was all a bit shit to me to be honest.

• Paid Members

For as much as we normally say AEW's best stuff is the supplementary stuff online, which they should air more of on Dynamite and Rampage, I hope they never EVER air this shit. I can't believe they even put it online. I'd burn the tapes and immediately declare it non-canon.

Absolutely awful. What should be a dream match, filled with incredible talent, and they promote it by acting out a cringy Twitter argument in person. Who is this supposed to benefit? Who am I supposed to root for? Fucking hell. Pair of losers. Might as well have given Seth Rollins a call to join in.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, Supremo said:

For as much as we normally say AEW's best stuff is the supplementary stuff online, which they should air more of on Dynamite and Rampage, I hope they never EVER air this shit. I can't believe they even put it online. I'd burn the tapes and immediately declare it non-canon.

Absolutely awful. What should be a dream match, filled with incredible talent, and they promote it by acting out a cringy Twitter argument in person. Who is this supposed to benefit? Who am I supposed to root for? Fucking hell. Pair of losers. Might as well have given Seth Rollins a call to join in.

Eeesh that's a painful watch. I'm sure they'll deliver in the ring, but urgh that's bad. 

12 hours ago, Supremo said:

Christ alive this is fucking dire. It has the same Energy of playground arguments over which games console was better. Why on earth have they uploaded this? Who is it for? Mad.