AEW Dynamite Thread 2022

DavidB6937

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, mim731 said:

Because not all their viewers watch Rampage. It's simple scene setting so the whole audience is viewing the match within the same required context.

So there is no answer then. You either put stuff on Dynamite/Rampage to hype the next show. For those who don't watch both, there is You Tube. Or, as someone who watches both I will need to watch it, again, because people dont want to watch all 3 hours of their TV content. 

I accept the plan works if the audience for Dynamite watches Rampage too, but personally as they are not separate brands, I don't see why they shouldn't be used to hype up the other. And I honestly don't understand why people seem so angered by VT's and Promos being on Youtube. we live at a time when social media is a daily part of most peoples lives, especially the younger generations, and it makes sense to use it in such a way. I think people are too conditioned by WWE programming to do this instead.

@LaGoosh I feel Kaz is winding his career down and that he wants to have a great outing with someone he considers to have great chemistry with. I will retract that if that match ends up being shit mind.

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

"I'm the ELITE HUNTER!" ...loses every single match he has with any of the Elite. What a goon. Not sure why they're bothering to be honest, Kaz offers basically nothing unique or special. He's a perfectly fine average veteran to feed to younger guys.

Well, yeah. All that's gonna happen is he's probably going to lose to Scorpio Sky. It's just setting up the match and reminding us all of their history. Maybe Kaz will turn heel at the end of it. Maybe someone will kill Kaz and come take the spot. It's not a proper push, just a minor build for the match they'll have. 

I think there's something to be said for AEW not doing enough to build matches in the immediate future, but I'm not sure the FTR match is the best example. It was what it was, a match that wasn't actually that important but had significant undercurrents because they were fighting each other. It really didn't warrant an on-air video package on dynamite.

The TNT title match probably did though. As much as we're all a bit fed of it, it was meant to be a feud ending title match. It feels a little like the whole feud has been a bit "subject to change" and dragged out because they've recognised they needed to turn Sammy heel, but this is supposed to be the end of it. 

I'd also have seriously considered a package for Daunhausen vs Hook. It's clearly the main draw for rampage this week, so it wouldn't hurt to put some more focus on it.

That being said, the matches are too long and the odd video package or highlight reel would do them some good. Tightening up some timings would help them a lot, but I think they'll get there, it's a comparatively minor thing.

So there is no answer then.

Well, there is. Cut matches shorter to put packages for later in the show or for next week's dynamite. Plenty of people are giving you that answer. You might not like it, but it is the answer

Edited by Duke

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think people are too conditioned by WWE programming to do this instead.

Maybe they are, but that's just it: they are, and it's best to respond to that conditioning, rather than risk nobody watching by trying to change that conditioning.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

So there is no answer then. You either put stuff on Dynamite/Rampage to hype the next show. For those who don't watch both, there is You Tube. Or, as someone who watches both I will need to watch it, again, because people dont want to watch all 3 hours of their TV content. 

Is re-watching a 30 second VT really having that big an impact on your viewing experience? Not everyone has the time or the inclination to watch all 3 hours of their content every week, and with Rampage as the secondary show, I can't fathom how using 30 seconds of the same VT from the secondary show on the flagship programme to set the scene for a match could be a bad thing, especially if it creates a context for greater engagement with the primary audience. 

25 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think people are too conditioned by WWE programming to do this instead.

I mean you were talking bollocks and putting words in peoples mouths, and then you came out with this which is even worse.

While WWE may repeat things unnecessarily, they certainly don't put build up videos etc on their main shows. They're just as guilty of it as AEW are.

Stick them on random documentaries on the Network or on YouTube etc but one of the absolute WORST things about WWE is how they can have so much on TV and absolutely fail to capitalise on it. They'd rather have a bazillion meaningless rematches than dare to dedicate a few minutes to a build up video or something.

And no one's saying it shouldn't be on YouTube but people have to make an active choice to go on there and select a video. That's not the best way of promoting something. That's relying on people already being interested and deliberately going there and watching it. What about those that don't? Aren't they the ones you want to be winning over? So stick it on RAW or SmackDown or Dynamite or whatever else and maybe you'll convince someone that wasn't exactly arsed about something that it's worth investing their time in.

Both companies are fully capable of producing some absolutely fucking FANTASTIC build up promos and documentary pieces etc. Arguably it's some of the best stuff they actually produce, so why not push it to the moon? If you don't want to watch it - skip it. For all the bullshit you're talking about the modern era, you're talking like you're being forced to re-watch this shit over and over when you really wouldn't be.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

I mean you were talking bollocks and putting words in peoples mouths, and then you came out with this which is even worse.

While WWE may repeat things unnecessarily, they certainly don't put build up videos etc on their main shows. They're just as guilty of it as AEW are.

Stick them on random documentaries on the Network or on YouTube etc but one of the absolute WORST things about WWE is how they can have so much on TV and absolutely fail to capitalise on it. They'd rather have a bazillion meaningless rematches than dare to dedicate a few minutes to a build up video or something.

And no one's saying it shouldn't be on YouTube but people have to make an active choice to go on there and select a video. That's not the best way of promoting something. That's relying on people already being interested and deliberately going there and watching it. What about those that don't? Aren't they the ones you want to be winning over? So stick it on RAW or SmackDown or Dynamite or whatever else and maybe you'll convince someone that wasn't exactly arsed about something that it's worth investing their time in.

Both companies are fully capable of producing some absolutely fucking FANTASTIC build up promos and documentary pieces etc. Arguably it's some of the best stuff they actually produce, so why not push it to the moon? If you don't want to watch it - skip it. For all the bullshit you're talking about the modern era, you're talking like you're being forced to re-watch this shit over and over when you really wouldn't be.

You didn’t mention ladders.

After all this time it's a pretty clear choice over how they start shows. Start with a match or a big name entrance and explain what's happening through commentary. Last night they saw more value in CM Punk making his entrance and explaining the upcoming FTR clash through comms than a video package. I don't really see it changing after all this time.

There's good and bad to it. Some shows it works and others it doesn't.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, DavidB6937 said:

And no one's saying it shouldn't be on YouTube but people have to make an active choice to go on there and select a video. That's not the best way of promoting something. That's relying on people already being interested and deliberately going there and watching it. What about those that don't?

This is my point, really. I don't recall ever watching Dynamite and being told, "if you go to our YouTube channel, you can find out more about why this match is happening and how the competitors feel about it". That could be part of Excalibur's spiel when running down next week's card, easy. It's a brand synergy thing as much as anything else - if you're putting all this good content on YouTube, why aren't you directing people toward it?

If I'm watching a two hour TV show, and I'm not told that there's supplementary content available on YouTube, I'm not going to go out of my way to look for it, because my assumption is that all of the content they have would be on the show. Once I know that there's extra good stuff on YouTube, I might subscribe, or at least check back every now and then. But I'm not going to do that if I don't know there's a reason to in the first place.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This is my point, really. I don't recall ever watching Dynamite and being told, "if you go to our YouTube channel, you can find out more about why this match is happening and how the competitors feel about it". That could be part of Excalibur's spiel when running down next week's card, easy. It's a brand synergy thing as much as anything else - if you're putting all this good content on YouTube, why aren't you directing people toward it?

If I'm watching a two hour TV show, and I'm not told that there's supplementary content available on YouTube, I'm not going to go out of my way to look for it, because my assumption is that all of the content they have would be on the show. Once I know that there's extra good stuff on YouTube, I might subscribe, or at least check back every now and then. But I'm not going to do that if I don't know there's a reason to in the first place.

In the early days they used to plug the YouTube channel a lot, but that has tailed off. I don't even recall Dark/Dark Elevation results being shown last night which is normally also a plug for the YT. Their twitter and Facebook pages are good at plugging the extra content, but I appreciate it shouldn't be the only thing they rely on. The compromise is to cut a match off the show, but with a bloated roster and only 3 hours of weekly TV selfishly i'd rather see as much wrestling as I can. HOWEVER, over long, drawn out matches are consistent pain so maybe you are right that just trimming some of that would help with pacing and breathing space to allow that content.

2 minutes ago, Hartleyno9 said:

Who's the person under the cardboard box with "Underrated" written on it then? 

Stood behind Punk, slow-clapping. 

Am I the only one who saw that? Or was there nothing to see? Haha.

Kip Sabian, he's been doing this for months now.

I don't think commentary have ever pointed it out, curious how it's going to play out but then it's Kip who I'm surprised is still under contract.

Edited by Merzbow