• Paid Members

WWE have 13 active women on RAW, reduced to 9 if you assume that Becky Lynch, her opponent at the PPV, Maryse, and Beth Phoenix aren't entering the match. And that's also working on the assumption that Alexa Bliss is in the Rumble, and that all other women on that brand are in.

On Smackdown they have 8, one of whom (Sasha Banks) is injured, another (Xia Lee) has yet to appear on TV. They've already had to resort to Charlotte Flair entering the match while she's champion to pad it out. 

So, on the active roster, there's a generous estimate of 15 women available for a 30 woman match. Even assuming that we get a surprise return from Asuka and/or Bayley, there's still a ton of empty spots, and while I'm sure we'll see some NXT faces in there, I don't think they'll rely as heavily on NXT as they have done in the past, considering it's been downgraded from pseudo-third brand to full-blown development territory again. So even if you have two or three from NXT, someone like Sonya Deville making an in-ring appearance, and two surprise returns, there's still a lot of empty slots.

That's all it comes down to. WWE have a depleted roster, and the women's Royal Rumble is when their historical treatment of women comes back to bite them in the arse - they don't have a deep pool of potential returning stars or nostalgia entrants like they would with the men, because for most of their existence they haven't given a shit about women. They basically hit all the major potential guest stars in the first one, and it's diminishing returns from then on, because either you just see the same faces again, or we're expected to get excited about someone like Summer Rae, who barely wrestled in the first place. 

They need names, and Mickie James is a name. Impact have played a blinder in allowing them to use her on the proviso that she's billed as Impact Women's Champion, but it's not going to be indicative of any broader working relationship. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It reminds me of those mid 90s rumbles where Mil Mascaras and a few others from Mexico and Japan turned up to make up the numbers. 

1997 Rumble with Mascaras and half a dozen others plus a six man on the PPV and a dark match was engineering a working relationship with AAA, which depending on who you ask was primarily towards getting more local interest (San Antonio) in the show, an approach to get regular use of their talent (especially Hector Garza), or with a view to buying AAA.

Takao Omori showing up in 1996? Ask me another…

• Awards Moderator
47 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Best example was Nash—sorry, Diesel—in 2011.

That was more just for fun and the nostalgia pop, wasn't it? He'd already been Kevin Nash in WWE in 02-03 ... and he was Kevin Nash again later in 2011. They didn't exactly pretend there is no Kevin only Diesel.

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

That was more just for fun and the nostalgia pop, wasn't it? He'd already been Kevin Nash in WWE in 02-03 ... and he was Kevin Nash again later in 2011. They didn't exactly pretend there is no Kevin only Diesel.

Christ, Kevin Nash was referred to as Kevin Nash while he was Diesel on WWF TV in the build to Mania XI, so there’s hardly any distinction between them, to the point they repeatedly used his name to highlight how not-really-Diesel the fake Diesel was in late 96 while he was working for the other side!

Bully Ray coming back as Buh Buh Ray Dudley in his N64 No Mercy outfit was a lot more jarring to me, but I shouldn’t have expected different.

4 hours ago, air_raid said:

1997 Rumble with Mascaras and half a dozen others plus a six man on the PPV and a dark match was engineering a working relationship with AAA, which depending on who you ask was primarily towards getting more local interest (San Antonio) in the show, an approach to get regular use of their talent (especially Hector Garza), or with a view to buying AAA.

Takao Omori showing up in 1996? Ask me another…

That was to do with Dory Funk and AJPW wasn't it. Trying to get some sort of relationship going and giving Omori a Rumble spot as part of it. The 1996 Rumble could have been the greatest train wreck ever if they had their way and got everyone they nearly did. Ultimate Warrior, Dan Severn, Sabu, Peter McNeeley. Amazing. 

• Paid Members

I'd imagine a few of them are will sign short term deals until the Ring Of Honor relaunch, if not longer depending on what RoH's talent policy is when they do start up again. 

I wonder whether he'll cross paths with Swinger during his tenure? Stick him in an Ultimate X match. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz