• Paid Members

It's amazing the difference a commentator who sounds sincere can make. He sounded like he was genuinely calling the action and responding to what was happening, where sometimes Striker felt like he was just reciting something from a script, or trying to make everything seem like the most important thing ever by using a super serious voice. It's like he decided that Edge/Orton last man standing match was the pinnacle of wrestling commentary, as opposed to the 92 Royal Rumble, and that he has to recreate that. Even D'Lo sounded like he was having a better time. The action in the ring really helped as well, don't get me wrong, but would we have been gushing about this in the same way if it'd been called by Striker in his snooker commentary voice?

• Paid Members

So with Mickie being announced for the Rumble, do we think that any of the fellas may get a run out in the men's Rumble? 

They don't necessarily need to announce them, given that they have announced Mickie as the Impact Knockouts Champion so eyes will already be on Impact. Moose has been tagging Roman in stuff teasing a meet, but could Alexander be a possibility with a good showing? 

I genuinely think WWE would probably have more to gain from a partnership with Impact than vice versa, with the unpredictability it may bring. Impact also may feel abit wary after getting the shit end of the stick with the AEW collaboration. 

It is probably just Mickie appearing then done, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

• Paid Members

I don't think there's much to this "collaboration" tbh.

WWE need women to fill out their Rumble match and Mickie James is a name familiar to their audience. 

Impact agreed because they always do, and generated some buzz a day before their PPV. I'd imagine that's all it will amount to tbh.

Well, it looks like some kind of ROH invasion is happening then...

Edited by garynysmon

I'm assuming Mickie is being bought in to oversee the finale of the Rumble? That Rumble graphic has a serious lack of depth when it comes to experienced wrestlers. Part of me wonders could we possibly see her win it and set up a WWE Champion v Knockout Champion mania match but as soon as i picture that scenario, Mickie has to be the face and WWE would never allow that to happen.

• Paid Members

What would be interesting would be if Tasha Steelz got involved in the Rumble match to forward the angle. 

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Nick James said:

I genuinely think WWE would probably have more to gain from a partnership with Impact than vice versa, with the unpredictability it may bring.

They’ve been steadily letting talent go for over a year, they don’t need to work with any other company to fill spots on the card, save one woman worth getting back for a Rumble.

2 hours ago, theringmaster said:

Part of me wonders could we possibly see her win it and set up a WWE Champion v Knockout Champion mania match but as soon as i picture that scenario, Mickie has to be the face and WWE would never allow that to happen.

Regardless of who’s the face, it’s not happening anyway. It’s one thing filling a slot to make numbers because Impact won’t stop them, but if you think they need to look at outside talent for their title matches for Mania, you’re crazy.

26 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

What would be interesting would be if Tasha Steelz got involved in the Rumble match to forward the angle. 

Who? And no.

• Paid Members
23 hours ago, Nick James said:

So with Mickie being announced for the Rumble, do we think that any of the fellas may get a run out in the men's Rumble? 

They don't necessarily need to announce them, given that they have announced Mickie as the Impact Knockouts Champion so eyes will already be on Impact. Moose has been tagging Roman in stuff teasing a meet, but could Alexander be a possibility with a good showing? 

I genuinely think WWE would probably have more to gain from a partnership with Impact than vice versa, with the unpredictability it may bring. Impact also may feel abit wary after getting the shit end of the stick with the AEW collaboration. 

It is probably just Mickie appearing then done, but it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

WWE earns a ridiculous amount of coin each year and is a vast enterprise. There is absolutely nothing for them to gain from a partnership of some kind with Impact in terms of raising reputation and/or cash. At best, Impact may act as a secondary feeder system and there's perhaps some potential for some business in terms of sharing archive footage for Peacock documentaries and such, but nothing more than that. Impact absolutely has more to gain from this relationship, if you can call it that.

Mickie's inclusion is the result of WWE lacking star power for the women's Rumble, and lacking bodies/playing it safe because of Covid. She's an experienced hand who viewers will remember/recognise, and they can rely on her for a night to do a shift in the Rumble. Small pop, couple of minutes of offence, hide in the corner for a bit, get chucked out and put over a big lummox, thanks for coming. The absolute best Impact execs can hope for is that she gets to wear the belt for all but a couple of seconds for her entrance, or a commentary mention again from McAfee. 

Adding Moose/Alexander to the mix does nothing for anybody. Apart from perhaps a niche section of the audience, they're not going to have a Scooby about who either of them are. Also, how shit is your company going to look if you have two of your most prominent stars enter the Rumble, barely register a pop and then get lost in the shuffle with everyone else before doing the honours? It benefits absolutely nobody. If anyone gets a slot, it'll be an ex-WWE star ala Mickie they can call on with experience. Heath Slater or Rhyno (or both) doing a comedy bit would be the sort of thing they'd look for. 

Not trying to shit on Impact, but the difference in the size of the companies is so vast, I don't understand how people can seriously suggest WWE has anything to gain from being associated with them. 

• Paid Members

It reminds me of those mid 90s rumbles where Mil Mascaras and a few others from Mexico and Japan turned up to make up the numbers. 

Maybe they'd get Cardona and Myers to reprise their roles as Hawkins & Ryder for old times' sake? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

WWE earns a ridiculous amount of coin each year and is a vast enterprise. There is absolutely nothing for them to gain from a partnership of some kind with Impact in terms of raising reputation and/or cash. At best, Impact may act as a secondary feeder system and there's perhaps some potential for some business in terms of sharing archive footage for Peacock documentaries and such, but nothing more than that. Impact absolutely has more to gain from this relationship, if you can call it that.

Mickie's inclusion is the result of WWE lacking star power for the women's Rumble, and lacking bodies/playing it safe because of Covid. She's an experienced hand who viewers will remember/recognise, and they can rely on her for a night to do a shift in the Rumble. Small pop, couple of minutes of offence, hide in the corner for a bit, get chucked out and put over a big lummox, thanks for coming. The absolute best Impact execs can hope for is that she gets to wear the belt for all but a couple of seconds for her entrance, or a commentary mention again from McAfee. 

Adding Moose/Alexander to the mix does nothing for anybody. Apart from perhaps a niche section of the audience, they're not going to have a Scooby about who either of them are. Also, how shit is your company going to look if you have two of your most prominent stars enter the Rumble, barely register a pop and then get lost in the shuffle with everyone else before doing the honours? It benefits absolutely nobody. If anyone gets a slot, it'll be an ex-WWE star ala Mickie they can call on with experience. Heath Slater or Rhyno (or both) doing a comedy bit would be the sort of thing they'd look for. 

Not trying to shit on Impact, but the difference in the size of the companies is so vast, I don't understand how people can seriously suggest WWE has anything to gain from being associated with them. 

Ok, well my point wasn't in terms of monetary value, it was more the fact that WWE has never been as stale as it is, it is completely sterile so a bit of unpredictability would benefit WWE, of course it would. God forbid anyone tries to create some discussion without just being quickly shot down.

Suspension of disbelief is something we are all lacking these days in the wrestling community. Being able to imagine something that even a few days ago looked like it would never happen and discuss possibilities (whether it will happen or not) seems a lot more fun that just being bored to tears of the same old product while moaning weekly about the same old shite that apparently no one watches.

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

It reminds me of those mid 90s rumbles where Mil Mascaras and a few others from Mexico and Japan turned up to make up the numbers. 

Maybe they'd get Cardona and Myers to reprise their roles as Hawkins & Ryder for old times' sake? 

In WWE land you go back to your old gimmick, no matter what happens elsewhere.

"Bully Ray? Nah, fuck that, go get the camo gear."

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Ok, well my point wasn't in terms of monetary value, it was more the fact that WWE has never been as stale as it is, it is completely sterile so a bit of unpredictability would benefit WWE, of course it would. God forbid anyone tries to create some discussion without just being quickly shot down.

I think you’ve taken my post too personally. Absolutely, barring a few bright spots WWE is stale, sterile, has wretched creative, cunt of an employer, etc. Absolutely no argument there. It would benefit from a complete change in the creative workflow, performers could be given better material and even be better promoted. Better vignettes, better gear, more minutes for better matches, chop an hour off of Raw, put over better talent, have more compelling segments, the list goes on. It’s a giant shithouse. 

But that wasn’t the crux of the original point you made saying that WWE would have more to gain from this than Impact. However you dress it up - whether that be financially or creatively - Impact absolutely needs this more than WWE does. 

• Paid Members

Like I said earlier, I think some people online are reading way too much into this.

Impact benefitted from some buzz and people talking about the promotion the eve of a PPV (which, as it happens, was a belter of a show which won't hurt at all going forward).

WWE benefits from a recognisable name to fill a spot in a PPV match she won't win.

I reckon there's still more liklihood of AEW wrestlers appearing on Impact than any signed WWE wrestlers. 

A big portion of the WWE audience doesn't tend to watch (or often even aware) of other wrestling and probably wouldn't know who Josh Alexander at al are.

I'm pretty confident he'd get a decent pop if he walked out on Dynamite next week though.

Edited by garynysmon

Logically, yep it makes far less sense for Impact/WWE to work together for many reasons we've already gone through.

However I see no issue with people buying into the hype a little and getting excited at the possibilities.

So much of wrestling is built on hope and potential. Especially around Rumble time. It's the perfect time for speculation.