UKFF Whatsapp

Joe Blog

• Paid Members

It's a good thing that people are being open about their mental health and especially more people being open to being that ear to listen, but that's all it should be unless qualified. Listen and signpost, unqualified advice could actually be detrimental to someone's recovery and whilst I'm not saying that is happening here, there are certainly people who think they are qualified to give advice just through going through their own struggles which is not the case. 

I'd just be very careful of discussing sensitive matters in an open setting without any moderation. As others have said, this has happened here before and it's not just banned members that have caused the issues, there are people still here with active accounts.

15 minutes ago, Nick James said:

It's a good thing that people are being open about their mental health and especially more people being open to being that ear to listen, but that's all it should be unless qualified. Listen and signpost, unqualified advice could actually be detrimental to someone's recovery and whilst I'm not saying that is happening here, there are certainly people who think they are qualified to give advice just through going through their own struggles which is not the case. 

I'd just be very careful of discussing sensitive matters in an open setting without any moderation. As others have said, this has happened here before and it's not just banned members that have caused the issues, there are people still here with active accounts.

A very well made point.If I've ever given advice, I've always caveated it that it is just what has worked in my personal situation, and not as a cure all. Don't think anyone would do that on here, but yeah, good point.

• Paid Members

The fact that you can look at threads on here and see the endless responding, regardless of topic, would really concern me. Especially if you're giving out personal details.  I would be concerned about opening up and giving others the opportunity to indulge themselves.

Issues as serious as mental health have a whole range of professional services available through NHS, workplace Occupational Health and dedicated charities and it would be irresponsible to direct folks to anywhere other than those. 

I would hope and ask that anyone considering giving out details to a faceless/nameless account seriously think about why they are doing it and then contact a professional. 

All very valid and sobering points. I think the emphasis on mental health and the creation of the whatsapp/discord has become the focal point and maybe I should have taken the time to word everything with more clarity. 

The chat itself is first and foremost a place for people to indulge in general chit chat and discuss interests etc in a more flowing environment. I pointed out the use of the old MH thread as an example of how there are members on here who often feel alone or isolated. The chat could hopefully negate some of that. It is in no way a qualified support chat. 

I feel maybe this has been a misfire on my part. 

13 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

It absolutely isn't so don't worry about it.

People have valid points with what they've pointed out, and I haven't seen anyone ever give actual medical advice to someone on here for MH problems (I'm sure I am wrong, I am just saying what I've seen)

All I've seen is people give anecdotal stories which they themselves have gone through, which may help others.

If you have medical issues, seek medical advice. That surely goes without saying.

What Thunderplex suggested the other day, and what you have created as well, is just somewhere where people can go and have a chat and not feel so isolated, if they're feeling that way, and there are people there to listen to. Getting things off your chest can be a great relief and sometimes if you don't know that person that well and they are slightly removed, its even easier (although not always I understand, and I know how hard that initial step can be)

I think a healthy cynicism is needed (bloody hell, who am I, David? :) ) but I would like to think that this is something that could really help people out if they need it.

A lot of people get quite lonely sometimes without a huge support network around them (god knows I do), so to have a group of fairly like minded people there to 'chat' with can only be a good thing.

I am not medically trained (I dont think any of us are but could be wrong) and in my day job I speak to people who have suicidal ideation and  sever depression every day. I don't give them medical advice ever, but I signpost and guide them to the right services whilst listening to them and being there for them whilst those appropriate services and supports are put into place, as they are the best way for that person to get help. 

Same with meds. Just because I take meds and its helped me, I would never EVER tell someone else to. That's just not my place. I'll tell you how they made or make me feel sure, but then my brain is my brain and yours is yours.

I genuinely only think that this can be a good thing, and would honestly be gutted to be proved wrong in this instance.

Anyway, see you all in the Discord. Don't worry, you'll all be fucking depressed when I start posting pictures of me in various football shirts.

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, Joe Blog said:

It was a good idea and a really nice thought. I think it’s a lot easier to reach out informally to someone you “know”, or who is in a similar boat than a professional. There’s always the fear of shame there, even though it never happens

It’s not your fault that dickheads and wrong ‘uns exist, and would almost certainly ruin it.

1 hour ago, Joe Blog said:

Absolutely not. What you've done is come up with a well intentioned idea and given people the option to join in or not. And if people are against it then they've been presenting some very reasonable, sensible and educated reasons why not. Some based on their own recent experiences. And it may give you or others food for thought in terms of how to do something like this in the best way possible 🙂

3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

No it isn’t, it’s still in the planning stage and wrinkles are being ironed out. During the first lockdown some of us had a zoom meeting which really lifted spirits. Maybe something like that might help?

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Joe Blog said:

The chat itself is first and foremost a place for people to indulge in general chit chat and discuss interests etc in a more flowing environment

Didn’t we have a chat room on here at one time, mainly used for PPVs I guess, but it's where we discovered one members carnal desire for boats if I remember right.

What ever happened to that? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Didn’t we have a chat room on here at one time, mainly used for PPVs I guess, but it's where we discovered one members carnal desire for boats if I remember right.

What ever happened to that? 

People kept wanting to talk about wrestling so everyone left.