Something major is happening with Ring of Honor

mim731

Sad situation, especially as next summer is their 20th anniversary. Hopefully most of the talent get picked up somewhere, be it AEW, NWA, New Japan or even for NXT. One of the talent I feel most for is Wrestling YouTuber/Indy manager Brian Zane of Wrestling With Wregret who’d only resumed working with them as an interviewer and commentator in recent months following all the COVID stuff and was enjoying his time there

So this lit up my wrestling whatsapp group last night.

Where does ROH fit into the wrestling world in 2021? With so much content out there now, there is no shortage of 'alternative' to mainstream wrestling and mainstream wrestling now also has an 'alternative' that is very much indy in spirit. Outside the 'big 2' you now have MLW and GCW for the alternative 'edgy' product. Then you have Impact for a light watch and then you have NJPW for the hardcore fans.

I follow pretty much all wrestling but ROH is no longer on my radar, I can't even name their women's or tag champs and their champion is putting on mud shows in mexico with a known nonce on the card. Their biggest asset is their library which is full of wwe/aew/njpw etc stars but in this day and age of steaming on dodgy sites it's not the money tree it was 10 years ago.

I think as somebody else said, ROH 2.0 is probably on the cards, an attempt to make them more mainstream

I’ll be interested to see if any of the big companies takes a chance on The Briscoe Brothers now.

Session Moth Martina must be a target for NXT U.K.?

Aside from Jonathan Gresham joining his wife in iMPACT! and Danhausen having plenty of options, I’m not familiar enough with the rest of their roster to know whether many others could be AEW or WWE bound.

56 minutes ago, dopper said:

I’ll be interested to see if any of the big companies takes a chance on The Briscoe Brothers now.

Session Moth Martina must be a target for NXT U.K.?

I don't see what value the Briscoes would add at this stage anyway. 

Sucks for Martina who seems to have been waiting forever to go back to ROH. I'm under the impression (but can't remember why) that she chose ROH over WWE (and possibly AEW) last time.

It feels like she'd be a better fit for AEW but, purely as an outsider who knows bugger all, I don't know how attractive either company is. Go to WWE and you're likely to be stuck in NXT: UK forever but you get some financial security and Doudrop seems to be a featured player on RAW. Go to AEW and you'd presumably get more freedom but their women's division has always felt like a bit of an afterthought (unless you're a dentist). 

At the same time, I'd quite like to see Martina drink Austin under the table and then grind on him, just once, is that so bad?

Would either WWE or AEW be realistically interested in her? She's a female stone cold rip off thats over with the niche smart mark fanbase, she doesn't have a great look and I have never heard anybody rave about her actual in ring ability (Just 'bantz' with a can of special brew or something).

It works in a nightclub setting in front of 100 smart marks but national television? Wrestling in leopard skin leggings? Hardly screams BT Sport does it?

• Paid Members

Martina turned down NXT UK prior to the ROH gig; I don't know if NXT UK are currently hiring, or if WWE's recruitment strategy would be interested in her. She could do some fun stuff in AEW, but I don't know how things are regarding her visa.

She also hasn't wrestled in leopard skin leggings for probably a couple of years now, and is a great worker behind the gimmick. Really creative, great at holding matches together, and throws some fantastic strikes. She's someone you'd want to have in almost any locker room, in my opinion. And I'd really disagree with the "100 smart marks" assessment too - she's someone I see get over with "casual" or non-traditional wrestling audiences far quicker than with conventional "wrestling fans". And in a world where Orange Cassidy has headlined national TV shows, I don't think you can rule out anyone as "that wouldn't get over on TV".

Martina was the first person I thought of when the news broke, just because of how much she'd been desperate to get back in the ring, and how much working for ROH meant for her. I think she only ended up having two or three matches for them before the pandemic.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members

There could be some fun barroom skits with Adam Page to be had for her I think if she did go to AEW. 

If they hadn't shut Swinger's Palace down on Impact she'd have been a good fit boozing it up in there every week. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, TheBurningRed said:

Can’t wait to see who wins the bidding war for Mike Bennett. 

Once upon a time an embittered former WWE employee would be nailed on for an Impact world title reign. 

37 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Would either WWE or AEW be realistically interested in her? She's a female stone cold rip off thats over with the niche smart mark fanbase, she doesn't have a great look and I have never heard anybody rave about her actual in ring ability (Just 'bantz' with a can of special brew or something).

It works in a nightclub setting in front of 100 smart marks but national television? Wrestling in leopard skin leggings? Hardly screams BT Sport does it?

I don’t think you have seen her in awhile with that description. Weirdly the only place I seen her act fail was at ICW as she went a bit full on using condoms in spots that just didn’t hit at all. But for Discovery Wrestling, a family show, she’s their champion and holds their relatively inexperienced challengers together un matches with them 

maybe if she grew a beard and had a topknot she would be BT Sports quality 

46 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Sounds perfect for AEW then.