Something major is happening with Ring of Honor

mim731

• Paid Members

In addition to the above, Meltzer and the like are suggesting they've released the whole roster, which is pretty drastic. This feels like it could be a pretty big news story in the next few days, so probably worth a thread.

I've never been the biggest ROH fan overall, but they've had some good moments over the years so would be a shame if they go.out of business. Although presumably with their super rich owners that's not on the cards?

Edited by mim731

• Paid Members

I haven't really paid any attention to them for years, they lost all their buzz so, so long ago I'm amazed they are even still in business. Looks like they've had nothing but low attended dull shows for quite a while now. Crazy how completely irrelevant they are these days when the first 5 years of ROH probably had the biggest influence on modern wrestling than anything else. Can't really think of what they could be planning here. What could they possibly offer in todays wrestling scene that no one else is? 

Edited by LaGoosh

I definitely think that's the problem. Who are they today and why do they exist?

When you look at so much of the top talent in WWE, AEW and Impact there's a shitload of names that came through the Honor doors over the years. They used to do an incredible job of building their own names.

Then they ended up relying on imports way too much. And now when you've got something like AEW on a much grander scale and New Japan not really needing them and other companies like MLW on the rise I just don't know where they fit in. And I doubt they do either.

• Paid Members

Its hard not to look back at how ROH facilitated the original All In PPV, only to end up on an island on their own just a few years later.

Mad when you think how tight (i.e.way over reliant) they were with NJPW.

Honestly I was so against the grain in the early 2000's and hated the indy style, my opinion at the time was that ROH was wrestling with all the fun stripped out. 

As a result, ROH has never made much of an impact on me.

That said, terrible news for those potentially losing their jobs.

Edited by garynysmon

This really makes me sad. It was ROH that got me back into wrestling in 2016 and I had an honorclub subscription all the way through 2019.

With the talent released, all the value is in the streaming service and library. AEW seems like the ideal suitor to buy it - the honorclub streaming platform is actually really good and I could see AEW using it......similarly the library is full of Elite, Danielson and Punk gems, plus All In, all of which the AEW fan base would love. If Tony Khan wants an easy route to an AEW streaming service, it seems like an obvious acquisition

Edited by MPDTT

• Paid Members

I realise that AEW is already so over inflated in roster that it feels like 1999 WCW (but ran better) but surely this is going to lead to some people like Bandido, Brody King and Rey Horus/Flamito heading over as well as the dream in Danhausen?

Having looked at their roster, there's a few guys who have felt like a big enough deal the last few years in wrestling and as a part of ROH who just don't seem like they'd have a company that would take them in. The Briscoe Brothers immediately spring to mind as two guys who would struggle to fit into a more TV orientated entertainment style show like AEW and WWE wouldn't go near them under their current hiring preferences. Unless Lethal went back to Impact, he feels another who wouldn't have a consistent promotion to call home too.