Greatest Singles Matches involving a 50+ year old?

dopper

The match between Cody & Dustin Rhodes at AEW Double or Nothing 2019 happened a month after Dustin turned 50.

I was wondering today what other really good singles matches have taken place with one (or both) of the participants being over 50.

The ones that immediately sprung to my mind were Flair's matches with Undertaker at WM18, with Triple H on Raw in 2003, and his retirement match with Shawn Michaels.

Terry Funk's run as ECW Champion beginning at the Barely Legal PPV was when he was 53 years old, but I found the match quality to be a bit iffy that year. The barbed wire match with Sabu was memorable, but I probably wouldn't put it on a list of great matches.

Ricky Steamboat was 56 when he had that mini-comeback in 2009 starting at WrestleMania 25 and ending with a very enjoyable match with Chris Jericho at Backlash the next month.

I know a lot of other guys continued wrestling in their fifties, so what other great matches can people think of? 

Genichiro Tenryu was 51 and Keiji Mutoh was approaching 40 (and physically wrecked) when they had a classic in the summer of 2001. It won the Wrestling Observer Match of the Year.

They were taking apron and floor bumps and doing dives and Tenryu even hit a second-rope Frankensteiner. Well worth a watch. 

Edited by SaitoRyo
Tweet link.

I know it's trendy to hate on Chris Jericho and his dad bod these days, but I thought his match with MJF at All Out was really pretty great. Lost in amongst the Punk/Cole/Danielson craziness obviously, but that was a high quality, dramatic match. Best straight up singles match Jericho's had in a good while- before that was probably Jericho vs. Mox, which happened when Jericho was 49.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Vince McMahon vs Shane McMahon, Vince McMahon vs Hulk Hogan...actually most Vince matches are usually very good.

Yeah, say what you like about Vince but he can work. His match with the old sex pest at Rumble 2002 was brilliant fun. Almost everything with Austin, even the original Raw match that didn't really happen was just an incredible event.

• Paid Members

Triple H vs The Nature Boydy in a cage from Taboo Tuesday 2005. "I taught you everything you know, but not everything I know": the match. A great bloody war and always undervalued when the best IC title matches threads are brought up, too.

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Blue Demon Jr (53) vs. Dr Wagner Jr (54) at Triplemania

I loved this match so much. I had no context whatsoever, had skimmed through the rest of the show completely disinterested, then saw this mad visual and couldn't turn away:

cherrypickers.jpg?x41949

When you see two men having a forklift staredown, you start paying attention. I got rewarded with an amazing and disgusting spectacle.

Edited by CleetusVanDamme