Greatest Singles Matches involving a 50+ year old?

dopper

• Paid Members

Ric Flair vs Shawn Michaels (Career threatening match) at Wrestlemania 24 is up there for me. I know that heading into the match there was very little doubt about the result but Ric Flair really did perform well in this match. As with most of the older generation of wrestlers, this was about story telling and he certainly delivered big time in this match. 

It was never going to be a classic in the true sense of the word but ultimately stands out for the story being told. I watched it again recently and still really enjoyed it.

7 hours ago, SaitoRyo said:

Genichiro Tenryu was 51 and Keiji Mutoh was approaching 40 (and physically wrecked) when they had a classic in the summer of 2001. It won the Wrestling Observer Match of the Year.

They were taking apron and floor bumps and doing dives and Tenryu even hit a second-rope Frankensteiner. Well worth a watch. 

Speaking of Mutoh…

Keiji Mutoh vs Go Shiozaki for the GHC Heavyweight Title earlier this year was a cracker, especially considering Mutoh was/is 58 years old!

Edited by Love-Wilcox

I remember Steve Corino & Scotty Riggs Vs Dusty & Dustin Rhodes (TCW) being an awesome match from the early 2000's. It was on one of the Real In Memphis tapes. Can't find it online anywhere now. Tempted to have a dig around the attic for the tape.

Dusty really shines in it and Corino and Riggs are just brilliant dickhead heels. It's cracking Indy sleeze all infront of about 50 rednecks going nuts.  

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

Possibly the two best live matches I have ever seen involved a 50 year old.

Minoru Suzuki had just turned 50 about a week before beating Tomohiro Ishii for the British Heavyweight Championship at NJPW Strong Style Evolved Manchester in 2018 in an absolutely outrageous match. His match with Okada at Royal Quest in London the next year was even better. 

He's one of those wrestlers who is brilliant on screen but get a whole new appreciation for him if you ever get the chance to see him up close. Such a master.

• Paid Members
On 9/23/2021 at 5:23 PM, garynysmon said:

Sting (52) v Hulk Hogan (58), Bound for Glory 2011.

Love that match. Not the most technically sound nor crisp, but fuck it, worked for me.

That's an excellent shout actually. The emotional turn in the crowd when they realised that Hogan might help out his old buddy Sting could be felt through the TV screen. Simple yet effective storytelling.