Jump to content

Recommended Posts

  • Awards Moderator
Posted

Had pre-sale chaos this morning trying to get two lots of tickets for two separate gigs at the same time.

Red Rum Club at Aintree Racecourse was the priority, but I'm made up I also got some for ELO's last ever gig. I'm sure it'll be emotional when they finish the set but I'll be shouting 'come back on, ELO, and carry on playing!'.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Bit late, but last Friday got last minute tickets to see the Kinnaris Quintet at King's Place in King's Cross. Folk quintet made up of five ladies from Glasgow - one guitar, one mandolin, two regular fiddles, one five-string fiddle.

Mostly folk instrumental; incredible performance, a wall of sound, and the rhythms just get you tapping away (not much room to dance in a seated auditorium).

Posted (edited)

Seeing Fleshwater in Leeds tomorrow, that's assuming it actually happens. Although the gig at Boom is sold out the same promoter is supposed to be doing a festival in Manchester this weekend, only they seem remarkably quiet on social media for the past several months despite tickets still being available for it. Fingers crossed it goes ahead.

Edited by Tamura
  • Awards Moderator
Posted
On 10/23/2024 at 3:24 PM, Arch Stanton said:

Caught the end of Red Rum Club supporting Blossoms on Monday night, they sounded really good. The room was full for them, which was good to see.

 

They’re brilliant. I’ve not enjoyed a new live band as much as these in years. They just seem to be having the time of their lives on stage, and Joe on the trumpet acts like he’s won a competition when he’s up there. I love him.

They’ve all got day jobs and do this around them, but hopefully they get to a point where they can just focus on the music. Recommend them to anyone who gets a chance to see them.

  • Paid Members
Posted
1 hour ago, Frankie Crisp said:

They’re brilliant. I’ve not enjoyed a new live band as much as these in years. They just seem to be having the time of their lives on stage, and Joe on the trumpet acts like he’s won a competition when he’s up there. I love him.

They’ve all got day jobs and do this around them, but hopefully they get to a point where they can just focus on the music. Recommend them to anyone who gets a chance to see them.

Endorsed by Neville and Carragher on The Overlap too, so they must be good ?

  • Paid Members
Posted

I went to see Henge in Preston at the Ferret yesterday. It was an afternoon performance for families so there were a lot of kids there. The support was somebody called Mr Vast, who my friend described as "Mark E Smith as a children's entertainer." He did some interesting songs, and his backing tracks had an early 90s rave thing going on. The kids in attendence seemed to enjoy it, as did the adults. 

Henge were visually spectacular. I was there with some people who were fans and had seen them before. They had some very interesting outfits to support their gimmick, and the frontman was great for getting the crowd involved. Their stuff has a really interesting sound. It was like baby's first prog rock, or how music might have turned out if Here Comes Science by They Might Be Giants was a hugely seminal album.

It was fun, but also felt like it would have been more fun if the gig was in a bigger venue and less family friendly. My friends who'd seen them before said they were better in bigger venues with fewer kids present.

  • 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members
Posted

Saw Steve Knightley at Grand Junction in St. Mary Magdalene Church near Warwick Avenue last night - he's touring solo post-Show Of Hands. Still an amazing performer, great voice, lots of stage presence, and a funny guy. From what I understand, he's always done solo tours even during the SoH days, so it's not really a departure for him to perform without Phil Beer. Still sang some SoH songs, but his new stuff's really good.

Bought his CD, and he'd also released a songbook - am looking to improve my repertoire on the mandolin, so bought a copy.

  • Paid Members
Posted

Just seen the line-up for Rockville in Florida next year. What a line-up! This is usually the time of year I’d be there but next year we were planning on going in October instead. I need to won the lottery.

IMG_3589.thumb.jpeg.eb37fc852856ad7c606ee89b40284c8f.jpeg

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
×
×
  • Create New...