Pride

Chris B

56 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I think the problem is that I do not like the politicisation of the LGBT cause. I am very much in favour of equality though I get the impression (rightly or wrongly) that Stonewall's agenda is more about promoting the LGBT cause to the point that we are a distinct group - outside from the mainstream "straight norm". My sexuality does not - nor should IMO - define me. I am merely pointing at the tendency for some in the community to cling onto one aspect of their lives (sexuality) as their key defining feature. I am bisexual but I am not defined by it. 

I believe we have made huge steps in the right direction, though Stonewall and the major activists have - in my view - a strong reason to maintain the narrative that we are all somehow second class citizens, treated appallingly etc. For example, I abhor how we as a community use Pride events as a way of strutting around in hot-pants, groping each other and almost throwing disinhibition in the public's face. It makes us all look bad and singles us out as "different" to the mainstream. I believe the likes of Stonewall love it, because it keeps them in a role. If we admit that things have drastically improved, what need is there for the likes of Stonewall et al? 

In short, I do not like the fact that there is a huge, political industry that is designed to keep the narrative that we are victims. We aren't and I don't appreciate people making the case that we are. 

I can see why you would want more information. I am left leaning socially/middling right economically. I find that when I raise these issues (and they are just an opinion, I have no monopoly on the truth) I get a mildly hostile response from some people in the community. I am not "queer enough", similar to ethnic minorities that go against the Critical Race Theory grain and get accused of colluding with racists. Its nonsense. Gay people don't inherently have to be leftists, though I do define myself as a liberal in the traditional sense. 

Hope that makes sense. Again, it's a view and there will be differing views. Maybe it is my distain for the idea that I am supposed to somehow be oppressed. I am not, nor ever will be, a victim. I do not appreciate those that want to use their sexuality as a badge of honour which is how Stonewall et al seem to like playing it. I would like to say that I have a huge number of acquaintances who actively go against the Stonewall grain because they see it as a way too politicised force. Back when it was created that was certainly needed; we needed a voice, action taken etc. I now feel it is mildly redundant and they often pick fights about fairly trivial things in the UK. I would suggest that they focus less on the UK and more on the horrific practices in other countries (death penalty, public floggings, concentration style camps for gays etc).  

Really struggling to identify this politicised nature, you keep mentioning. It reads as a noted far right esque idea of how 'the gays' should behave. 

It's shit that there's a lot of biphobia in even the most staunch lgbtq arenas however  suggestions that  we should leave the UK to it when anti Lgbtq sentiment, violence against and inequality is at an all time high. seems counter intuitive and basically taking up the drawbridge for those who want the basics of being treated equally that even your original post wanted.

• Paid Members

It's a bit late, so I'm not going to do a big post.

All I will say is I think you have wildly misrepresented the LGBT+ movement, you have definitely misunderstood what Pride is intended to do, you have most certainly overestimated just how much things have improved (check PinkNews' UK section for all the shit that's happened in the last six months alone), and, quite frankly, it's a bit of an "I'm alright, Jack, pull the ladder up behind me" mentality you're showing there. You may not be a victim, but there are plenty of people out there still getting shit for just wanting to be who they are in peace. Also, nobody "wants" to be a victim, and just because you disagree with their perspective that there's work left to be done doesn't mean that they want to be either. And there is work left to be done - things are better, but that does not mean there is now equality. 

And, whether you like it or not, the issue of equality, whether its over gender, race, or sexual orientation, has always been political. It's required decades of political activity and sacrifice of innumerable people to get even this far. Without getting too adversarial, I think that if you're happy to drink from the well, you should show a bit of respect for the people who dug it for you.

EDIT: For clarity, this was a reply to Michael.

Edited by Carbomb

• 10 months later...
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

I think someone at Sky have made an legit mistake by turning off the replies. Can’t think of any other reason how or why this happened. 

They have blocked replies on several threads on this topic, probably scared of any negative comments made. 

Edit: been on BBC Sports twitter, quite a lot of homophobic remarks and others calling him an attention seeker. 

Edited by westlondonmist

2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

He could go on loan and see if he likes it. 

Presumably it would be one of these backdoor deals.

• 1 year later...

Go on J.K, just a bit further and you’ll be a full blown flat earthing, holocaust denying, anti trans right wing Twitter shill. She’ll be doing jujitsu and smoking stogies with JoRo in no time at all.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

Go on J.K, just a bit further and you’ll be a full blown flat earthing, holocaust denying, anti trans right wing Twitter shill. She’ll be doing jujitsu and smoking stogies with JoRo in no time at all.

Nearly there!

• Paid Members

I do at times find the extent to which some choose to paint trans people as "the first victims" of the Nazis because of the Hirschfield Institute a little problematic; not because trans people didn't suffer, but it's become a kind of shibboleth, I've seen it suggested that we would be decades ahead in understanding trans issues and trans identities if that work hadn't been destroyed, and I'm not sure I agree with that.

That's not to say that trans people, and work on transgender issues, weren't targeted by the Nazis, and weren't being worked on at Hirschfield, I am just wary of anything that involves projecting modern sex, orientation, and gender categories on to people in the past who would not necessarily have used those terms themselves. A lot of the work on sexuality at the time still saw homosexuality as akin to a third sex, and in Hirschfield's case as a matter of "sexual intermediacy", where a gay man was gay because they had a "female" sex drive.

While Hirschfield did pioneering work with transvestites, as he called them, which absolutely shouldn't be overlooked, to be trans was largely seen as an extension of a "female" energy in a male, and as an extension of one's homosexuality. The Nazis' focus on attacking him and his institute was largely anti-gay and anti-sexual liberation more than explicitly anti-trans, and I think focusing on the attacks and book burnings as being a predecessor for trans hate today does risk exaggerating or distorting the truth.

These are matters of academic disagreement, and the argument is one of differences by degree or by motivation, though, and that's not what Rowling is doing - she is essentially engaging in a form of Holocaust revisionism. If I had to guess, it's because it's almost entirely rooted in the TERF insistence that nobody ever knew anything about trans people until about 2006.

I really wish she would shut the fuck up. She just keeps digging herself deeper and deeper in to a hole. I'd really looked forward to reading the Harry Potter books to my kids but her comments make me want to burn the books. I do find it difficult to distance the woman from her work..... To think, once upon a time she was a woman I looked up to!