Pride

Chris B

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think that's how everyone should behave really. I don't really understand the whole trans thing really if I'm being honest with myself. But I'm perfectly at peace with the fact that something is valid, important and exists even though I personally don't understand it.

My son has said to me that he's fine with people not understanding because it's almost impossible to understand unless you've had those experiences. All he wants is support and love, and I'd suspect that's the case with the majority of trans and non-binary people.

I don’t have anything to add to this discussion that hasn’t already been much more eloquently said by others, I just wanted to add that I am forever proud of how supportive and progressive this forum is when topics like this are being discussed. 

Also I envy the level of knowledge @BomberPat seems to have on so many subjects. 

Yeah the "understanding" part is always going to be difficult without the experience and living through a different time etc. That's how I feel about the pronoun stuff and non binary etc. I find it quite confusing but it's not about me. I see the younger generation treating it as a perfectly normal and expected thing just like we would've with male/female. I guess everything's unusual and unfamiliar when it first starts right? Plus there's often an element of fear of the unknown.

I've always tried to be open though even if it's something I don't necessarily "get". Especially now I've got kids. Who knows how they'll feel or what they'll want in the future. But I need them to know that I'll be here and accept them no matter what. I don't want them to be scared of being whoever they want to be and being happy. Everyone deserves that and there's so much judgement in the world.

Admittedly I get a bit more judgey if someone's sexually attracted to a tree or something..  but on the whole I'm accepting of the world and a more progressive and open future. I love seeing people being able to find themselves and a way to exist. It's shit living day after day having to pretend you're something you're not because you live in fear of rejection or disappointing others or whatever it is. I'm sure we've all struggled with ourselves at one point or another.

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)

I didn't realise there were men's and women's CoD sports leagues. My only real experience of trans women in eSports is Ricki Ortiz, who transitioned and plays Street Fighter professionally. I think she's made top 8 at EVO a few times, and probably win some loval/regional tournaments to qualify for it. She's a lovely person. 

From what I gather as well, to medically transition trans women have to take a LOT of oestrogen and various hormone blockers, and can actually have less testosterone in their systems than ciswomen, meaning any theoretical advantage would be gone. I do understand why people worry a out safety in bathrooms because there are so many articles about men claiming to be women so they could get sent to women's prisons, which is horribly reductive and demeaning.

I also find it odd that people think being trans is a new thing when there are records dating back thousands of years of people changing and eschewing gender to fulfill certain roles within society. In declining to confirm to my gender I technically fall under the umbrella of being "trans". There's a LOT of nuance. 

Edited by Jazzy G

11 hours ago, Jazzy G said:

From what I gather as well, to medically transition trans women have to take a LOT of oestrogen and various hormone blockers, and can actually have less testosterone in their systems than ciswomen, meaning any theoretical advantage would be gone. 

For this point to be true you’d have to accept that trans women are putting themselves through the entire ordeal of transitioning to be trans women and not just self identifying as a woman without the whole rigmarole to gain an advantage in an amateur sports event.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Mr_Danger said:

For this point to be true you’d have to accept that trans women are putting themselves through the entire ordeal of transitioning to be trans women and not just self identifying as a woman without the whole rigmarole to gain an advantage in an amateur sports event.

I would like to think a lady would want to transition for more than just a sporting advantage. That's almost as bad a take as the sensationalist stuff about sex offenders in the tabloids. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but I'm pretty confident if it was to it'd grab ALL the headlines. 

Ironically, transmen rarely seem to get the same criticisms levelled at them. If anything should there not be a worry about whether they're safe in a men's toilet, in case something happens to them?