The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

11 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

The whole Liverpool thing is over-played. If he was just waiting around for that job, he'd have stayed at Rangers.

You think Liverpool would have taken a manager with no top flight English league experience straight from Scotland to replace Klopp? 

• Paid Members
Just now, David said:

You think Liverpool would have taken a manager with no top flight English league experience straight from Scotland to replace Klopp? 

I don't think Liverpool would have taken any other manager with no top flight English league experience straight from Scotland to replace Klopp. But that's the point. If this thing was such an inevitability, he just sits around doing his apprenticeship. The fact that he's taking this on shows it's not. He's just grafting his way up like any other manager. All goes tits up and it's Tranmere or something next.

3 minutes ago, David said:

They already replaced Dalglish with Souness but that was in 1991.

Edited by LCJ

1 hour ago, LCJ said:

Fair play to Steven Gerrard. Could’ve stayed at Rangers, challenged for trophies and managed in Europe but chose the tougher option of trying to keep Villa in the Premier League. Liverpool will also get a better idea of whether he’s capable of managing in the English Premier League.

I don't think keeping Villa in the league will be difficult. I know they haven't had the best of starts this season but that squad is more than good enough to keep them in the division. I know you should never take things for granted and stranger things have happened,  but I think Gerrard will be okay.  

Edited by Briefcase

3 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I don't think Liverpool would have taken any other manager with no top flight English league experience straight from Scotland to replace Klopp. But that's the point. If this thing was such an inevitability, he just sits around doing his apprenticeship. The fact that he's taking this on shows it's not. He's just grafting his way up like any other manager. All goes tits up and it's Tranmere or something next.

Yeah, I don't think it's an inevitability at all. I know there's the emotional pull of Gerrard and Liverpool, but let's be honest, even Chelsea and Lampard only came into being because of the transfer ban and other mitigating circumstances. They didn't waste much time in sacking him off and getting a proper top manager in when the situation allowed.

Gerrard will need to have proven himself in the big leagues before Liverpool will entertain the idea of bringing him in. There would be far too much temptation to go with a proven manager over someone who's done quite well in Scotland, regardless of who he is.

And also, it gets lost in the shuffle that while he did well in Scotland, he certainly wasn't tearing it up Brendan Rodgers style. He won a single trophy in three and a half years. Rodgers won 7 trophies in the shape of two league titles and a "double treble" in under three years.

As someone who follows the Scottish league closely it was blatantly obvious that Rodgers was a class above the entire division. I wouldn't say that about Gerrard. I think the jury is very much out on him, and truth be told, there's no guarantee that he would have matched last season had he stayed, so his stock is probably as high as it would ever be in Scotland right now.

Edited by David

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Edgehead said:

It's very Norwich to replace their sacked manager with a guy sacked the day after.

Remember when they got humped 7-1 by Paul Lamberts Colchester and responded by sacking the manager and hiring Paul Lambert?

• Paid Members

I welcome Steve Gerrard to B6 and hope he's a total success. If I was a Norwich fan I'd say Smith is the perfect choice. I won't lie I think Deano is great. And if you get relegated he's the perfect man to bring you straight back up.