The General Motors Domestic Football Thread. 21/22 (NO SHIT BANTER)

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Crowds are becoming a problem aren't they? Houchen will point to it being a homage to the good old days of the 80s where football was lovely (😉) but we've seen two incidents this week following fan invasions- Billy Sharp being the other one which was disgusting. Invasions are happening and it doesn't help when the likes of Lampard (who grew up on the terraces of Upton Park let's not forget) state in interviews that he has no problem with fans running onto the pitch. 

And then you have flares. When did these suddenly appear?? I have barely seen any in this country until a couple of months ago, where almost every game results with flares thrown into the pitch. Couple this with the awful crowd problems at the Euros final and things are going backwards over here again. You can have a great atmosphere without being cunts, just look at the Bundesliga. 

52 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

And then you have flares. When did these suddenly appear?

As with all bad things in football, it’s Liverpools fault. Probably the wrong thread for it but that guy who head butted Billy Sharp got sent down. How come that happened so quickly? Courts are backed up like a u bend on Boxing Day but this guy is already in the big house. Is it because he pled guilty or something it meant it could be fast tracked?

1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

And then you have flares. When did these suddenly appear?? I have barely seen any in this country until a couple of months ago, where almost every game results with flares thrown into the pitch. Couple this with the awful crowd problems at the Euros final and things are going backwards over here again. 

It stems further back than the Euro final unfortunately. In the Championship and lower leagues there has been an issue with flares and smoke bombs for more than ten years.

I was in the away end for Doncaster Vs Middlesbrough in 2011 and someone set off a flare when Boro scored. It caused another fan to have an asthma attack and was carted off in an ambulance. Someone asked him what he was doing (well it was actually more like "wor yer fuckin doin yer whopper?") and he responded "No pyro, no party!" and was clearly coked off his tits. 

I have not gone to an away match in a while now due to the nobhead squadron cladded in black Stone Island coats and think that they are 80's hooligans after watching Football Factory and Green Street. Cocaine is one contributing factor but also the policing of games doesn't help. The police use overhanded methods which cause fans to kick off. 

I used to enjoy going to away games and drink with the home fans for gentle ribbing and wish each other luck for the season. That isn't possible now unfortunately. 

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, PunkStep said:

And then you have flares. When did these suddenly appear?? I have barely seen any in this country until a couple of months ago, where almost every game results with flares thrown into the pitch. Couple this with the awful crowd problems at the Euros final and things are going backwards over here again. You can have a great atmosphere without being cunts, just look at the Bundesliga. 

I've seen them at pretty much every match I've been to this season, with home and away fans. They're not even being used just for major matches to create an atmosphere - one of our lot threw one on the pitch at Wolves away when we went 1 up for Christ's sake. It just seems to be a tribalistic thing this season and it's getting out of hand - makes for a good photo but that's about it. It's just a matter of time before it causes someone serious injury then it'll all kick off and every footy fan will be demonised again.

Last night when they scored their third, one sailed into our front row and missed an old fella by inches. The stewards and bizzies saw who threw it and did nothing other than pick it up and move it away. There were zero security checks going into the away end and given how many flares went off, there can't have been many for the home fans. But that's not an Everton-only issue as it's been the same at Selhurst and every away ground I've been to this season other than Man. City. And they fucking stink.

EDIT: the flares stink, not Man. City

Edited by Frankie Crisp

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

As with all bad things in football, it’s Liverpools fault. Probably the wrong thread for it but that guy who head butted Billy Sharp got sent down. How come that happened so quickly? Courts are backed up like a u bend on Boxing Day but this guy is already in the big house. Is it because he pled guilty or something it meant it could be fast tracked?

He's been sent down already?? He's definitely pleaded guilty then because as you say, it takes months to get a hearing at the moment. Or maybe they decided to make an example out of football. 

Just seen this...

"May we recommend the Lasagne, Mr Kane?"

21 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

He's been sent down already?? He's definitely pleaded guilty then because as you say, it takes months to get a hearing at the moment. Or maybe they decided to make an example out of football.

Yeah he got 24 weeks. It certainly seems to have been fast tracked. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah he got 24 weeks. It certainly seems to have been fast tracked. 

I work at the jail he’s banged up in. Seen him this morning when I was doing my rounds, he looked scared shitless of everything around him. Deserved.

Frustrating that at our biggest moment in a generation, this sort of shite has taken away from it a bit.

Edited by Wretch

• Awards Moderator
On 5/20/2022 at 1:34 PM, Frankie Crisp said:

It's just a matter of time before it causes someone serious injury then it'll all kick off and every footy fan will be demonised again.

And here it is. One of the Palace fans near to where to that flare landed after it was thrown into our end is on a heart monitor after suffering multiple seizures. He was initially taken to the Royal in town but on his train home the next morning, had to get off at Crewe and be taken to their hospital.