The Greeks in 04 were like the Czechs in 96, the underdog team practically everyone got behind. To start then finish the tournament by beating the hosts was something truely phenomenal (and really speaking Portugal shouldn't have been anywhere near the final after the Campbell goal controversy in the quarters)

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, David said:

I know this may (will) come back to bite me on the arse, but Scotland are looking pretty decent in the build up to this tournament. Can we make it through the group stage, Garth? I believe we can, Ken.

Wouldn't surprise me, especially considering the new format allows certain third placed teams getting through. I actually see Scotland as the banana skin for England actually. Czech Republic at the end shouldnt pose too much of a problem based on what I've seen, Croatia the toughest game in terms of quality, but the Scots are stubborn and wont want England taking anything from them.

Surprised by the news of Ben White being the replacement for Trent, especially as Ward-Prowse had a great game yesterday. But perhaps it lends itself to the fact that Maguire is worse and less ready than anyone imagined. Either way, buzzing for Friday. Looking forward to a month of constant football.

2 minutes ago, David said:

Throw the Copa America coverage in and more than a few people will be veering dangerously into divorce territory by the end of it all!

That's if it goes ahead at all, looking increasingly unlikely. An absolute shitshow. 

As for Scotland, there's no reason that they can't qualify from the group. They're just as good as the Czech Republic, and games against England are usually tight and fuelled by PASHUN so form kind of goes out of the window. I expect England will win it, but it'll be close.

Scotland could do with a bit more up front though to be honest.

I still think who ever scheduled that game for a Friday night needs their head checking.

• Paid Members

I barely pay attention to the English national team these days but…. if there’s a formation where Southgate could deploy Mount, Foden and Grealish all at the same time in the form all three have been in, do you think he’ll have the balls to do it? Or are we looking at another “Dier AND Henderson, in front of the FIVE defenders, can’t be too careful” situation, figuratively speaking?

On 6/5/2021 at 11:58 PM, RIDDUM_N_STYLE said:

The Greeks in 04 were like the Czechs in 96, the underdog team practically everyone got behind.

I remember it quite differently. I remember there being a novelty to them winning their games but them being dull as fuck to watch and thus nobody I know got behind them unless you had them in your work sweep.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

I remember it quite differently. I remember there being a novelty to them winning their games but them being dull as fuck to watch and thus nobody I know got behind them unless you had them in your work sweep

100%. You remember it the same as everyone else in the world.

Imagine comparing them to the joyful Czech side from Euro 96! Blasphemy!

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

If there’s a formation where Southgate could deploy Mount, Foden and Grealish all at the same time in the form all three have been in, do you think he’ll have the balls to do it? Or are we looking at another “Dier AND Henderson, in front of the FIVE defenders, can’t be too careful” situation, figuratively speaking?

There's a chance we might see Mount in the centre and Foden and Grealish cutting in from the wings at some point as that would still let him have 2 Defensive Midfielders in front of the back four. Though I reckon one of Foden or Grealish will miss out for Sterling or Sancho.

Unlikely to happen but it would fun to see them try and copy the Man City Formation and go with one DM, move Foden into centre midfield with Rice and Mount and play one of Sancho and Sterling with Kane and Grealish up front.

• Paid Members

I think they'll go with a back 3/5 VS Croatia, especially with Harry The Fridge apparently set to miss that game, so perhaps we'll see a Rice/Mount midfield partnership with Foden or Graelish as one of the 'wide' forwards with Sterling or Rashford on the other.

Against Czech,  with a 433, I can see him playing Rice and Henderson/Mount with Graelish in front, and two from Rashford/Sterling/Sancho wide.

• Moderators
9 hours ago, PunkStep said:

100%. You remember it the same as everyone else in the world.

Imagine comparing them to the joyful Czech side from Euro 96! Blasphemy!

Yeah, the Greeks didn't have everyone trying to replicate Poborksi's lob! 

22 hours ago, David said:

I know this may (will) come back to bite me on the arse, but Scotland are looking pretty decent in the build up to this tournament. Can we make it through the group stage, Garth? I believe we can, Ken.

Yeah, I think we could do OK. I have predicted our group to be WLD (win vs Czechs, loss vs England and draw with Croatia) which would probably be enough to see us through. It never works out like that though, and who knows - perhaps we could spring the bloodiest nose of all! As parochial as it may seem, I would sacrifice the other two games to beat England. Yes - we're still like that.

Clarke seems to have a plan and we're never going to win awards for attractive football, but I think this Scotland team could cause problems for anyone on their day. The more I think about it, I think we have to play with Dykes up front. I have never been a great fan of him, but what he adds to the set up is undeniable and he seems to be one of those players who does his best work at international level. Our midfield is good but the defence still worries me. If I was picking the team, I would go:

Marshall; O'Donnell, McTominay, Tierney, Robertson; McGinn, McGregor, Armstrong; Forrest, Dykes, Adams

I would probably be alright with trusting Declan Gallagher to play at centre half after his heroics in Belgrade, but for me, McTominay would give us real stability there. It may be the case that he is the ideal third man in midfield with McGinn and McGregor, though. I would actually be inclined to play Turnbull instead of Armstrong, but I think Armstrong's energy, goal threat and experience would cause me to bottle it. Christie is also an option but for all his workrate, I think there are better players.