Now that’s... perfect

Frankie Crisp

Very true, and maybe there should be a separate Simpsons thread, but to expect a show to STILL have the consistency it had 30 years ago is mad.

It's my favourite show of all time, and I'll still watch it (the 'Morrissey' episode for example was excellent and the songs were brilliant) but you could level the accusation that 'it was so much better back then' at most things. Maybe they should've stopped it at some point, but they didn't. 

If I watch The Simpsons with my kids, they're more likely to enjoy the newer episodes far more than I do, and that's fine, as they're aimed at them and not me.

Saying that, they REALLY caught lightning in a bottle for a few series.  Posted this elsewhere, and it's such a fascinating insight into that time.

https://www.newyorker.com/culture/the-new-yorker-interview/john-swartzwelder-sage-of-the-simpsons

• Moderators
8 minutes ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Agreed on all of that, but would people remember it as well without RMA? That brings everything else up with it.

Double post here, so apologies. But you're wrong and you've missed the point. If they didn't get that song they'd have got something else and they'd have written something just as funny. You don't get that level of consistency and rate of fire by chance.

Edited by Chest Rockwell

• Paid Members

Slightly off-topic; The Simpsons died for me with the horrendous, cringe-inducing Elon Musk episode. Just the worse pandering, ego-inflating bullshit. Rick And Morty suffered a similar fate when they had Elon guest on their show too. I'll sound like a proper old fart here, but I preferred it when billionaires were openly mocked and made fun of, not worshipped and glorified by the masses. It gives me the creeps whenever I see a pro-billionaire social media post from a regular schmuck.

Back on topic; Getting up early on a Sunday morning before the rest of the house and nursing a king size coffee in a king size mug whilst lounging on the sofa. Absolute bliss. Absolute perfection.

• Paid Members

this is probably a weird comparison, but "Biology" reminds me of some of Wings' best stuff, in that it sort of sounds like they half-wrote three different songs, never finished them, and then with a deadline approaching just mashed them all into one and by some miracle it came out great. 

The last few second of Texas Chainsaw Massacre is just sublime, Probably my all time favourite film scene ever, it's just beautiful. I'm a big fan of the rest of the movie but I forget the amount of times I've just watched Leatherface swinging the saw around as the sun comes up.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

this is probably a weird comparison, but "Biology" reminds me of some of Wings' best stuff, in that it sort of sounds like they half-wrote three different songs, never finished them, and then with a deadline approaching just mashed them all into one and by some miracle it came out great. 

The whole album is fantastic. 

• Paid Members

In all fairness, that was some pretty impressive camera work considering they were on cobbles and there was no dolly. Good fall from Kevin too, especially as he had bare arms and couldn't hide padding. His ankles probably weren't happy the next day.

4 hours ago, BomberPat said:

But even then, it's not just "Dr Zaius", it's the title of the musical, it's "you finally made a monkey out of me", it's "every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z", there's "it's the part I was born to play!", it's finding a rhyme for "get your paws off me you damn dirty ape", it's "'he can talk?!'/'I can sing!'", it's using the old vaudeville "can I play the piano?" joke. And just the entire concept of a Planet Of The Apes musical - that alone would have been a great Troy McClure joke, but it's just pure gold from beginning to end. And that it happens in an episode when it's not even necessarily the best joke in that episode just shows how high the bar was for The Simpsons back then. They'd kill now for even one joke to land as well as all of those did.

Another layer that I always laugh at is the Apes themselves pointing in shock and just gawping. It's magnificent, Phil Hartman made every word funny.

3 hours ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

In all fairness, that was some pretty impressive camera work considering they were on cobbles and there was no dolly. Good fall from Kevin too, especially as he had bare arms and couldn't hide padding. His ankles probably weren't happy the next day.

Wasn’t this the case that the trip and fall weren’t part of it, but when it happened during the filming they just left it in