Now that’s... perfect

Frankie Crisp

There is a certain type of orange hue created by the sun that sometimes acts like a real life filter. Sitting in the park at 8am with my dog, a coffee in hand and a good book as my second daughter naps in her buggy whilst surrounded by that warming glow is perfection for me. 

• Paid Members

Probably get a lot of flak from the serious film buffs (go easy on me Glads) but while there are plenty of films I love dearly, I consider Blade Runner to be a perfect piece of cinema from start to finish.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Probably get a lot of flak from the serious film buffs (go easy on me Glads) but while there are plenty of films I love dearly, I consider Blade Runner to be a perfect piece of cinema from start to finish.

Which version?

[Ducks]

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, air_raid said:

11 minutes ago, Nostalgia Nonce said:

Which version?

[Ducks]

This Is Gonna Be Interesting GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

Phil Hartman was so important to the show and his death left a hole they never really recovered from.

Yeah, while there's some good stuff after him, I do think that you can split the show into Hartman and post-Hartman in terms of quality.

It's great that you posted Stop The Planet Of The Apes, I Want To Get Off, because when I last saw that episode I remember saying to someone that there's more laughs just in that one segment than in a lot of subsequent whole episodes, and it's not even necessarily the funniest part of A Fish Called Selma. 

• Paid Members
56 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Yeah, while there's some good stuff after him, I do think that you can split the show into Hartman and post-Hartman in terms of quality.

It's great that you posted Stop The Planet Of The Apes, I Want To Get Off, because when I last saw that episode I remember saying to someone that there's more laughs just in that one segment than in a lot of subsequent whole episodes, and it's not even necessarily the funniest part of A Fish Called Selma. 

There is so much in such a short space. From Troy being told he is going to play the Human and he says it is the role I was born to play, to the knock off of Rock Me Amadeus (which, when I first watched the episode had never heard so that was a shock when I stumbled on to the original song and realised) and the random breakdancing ape. It just never fails to make me smile for it's short 2 minute ish runtime. And as you say, it's not necessarily the best part of the episode, and there are other songs and one-liners which are probably funnier. But to be able to fill that short time with well written songs and humour is just incredible. Basically, I just wish the Simpsons either stopped at season 10 or they managed to keep the consistency up. 

It’s the Rock Me Amadeus parody that makes it. If they couldn’t get the rights to that song (which you still have to do, even if it’s parody), there’s a chance that the whole thing doesn’t work as well.

Having being on a Futurama rewatch over the last couple of months, the use of Connie Francis’ ‘I Will Wait For You’ in Jurassic Bark is another example of one element elevating something from good to perfect.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, WyattSheepMask said:

It’s the Rock Me Amadeus parody that makes it. If they couldn’t get the rights to that song (which you still have to do, even if it’s parody), there’s a chance that the whole thing doesn’t work as well.

But even then, it's not just "Dr Zaius", it's the title of the musical, it's "you finally made a monkey out of me", it's "every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z", there's "it's the part I was born to play!", it's finding a rhyme for "get your paws off me you damn dirty ape", it's "'he can talk?!'/'I can sing!'", it's using the old vaudeville "can I play the piano?" joke. And just the entire concept of a Planet Of The Apes musical - that alone would have been a great Troy McClure joke, but it's just pure gold from beginning to end. And that it happens in an episode when it's not even necessarily the best joke in that episode just shows how high the bar was for The Simpsons back then. They'd kill now for even one joke to land as well as all of those did.

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

But even then, it's not just "Dr Zaius", it's the title of the musical, it's "you finally made a monkey out of me", it's "every ape I see, from chimpan-A to chimpan-Z", there's "it's the part I was born to play!", it's finding a rhyme for "get your paws off me you damn dirty ape", it's "'he can talk?!'/'I can sing!'", it's using the old vaudeville "can I play the piano?" joke. And just the entire concept of a Planet Of The Apes musical - that alone would have been a great Troy McClure joke, but it's just pure gold from beginning to end. And that it happens in an episode when it's not even necessarily the best joke in that episode just shows how high the bar was for The Simpsons back then. They'd kill now for even one joke to land as well as all of those did.

Agreed on all of that, but would people remember it as well without RMA? That brings everything else up with it.