Billie Kay and Mickie James released (+ others)

I Bent My Wookie

• Awards Moderator
3 hours ago, stewdogg said:

essentially expensive card fillers

I haven’t agreed with many of your points in this thread (I started to enjoy Keith Lee once he got past the initial “we’re NXT fans so we know this guy already, let him coast” phase) but this phrase is spot on. 
Not just for Lee, or just for the wrestlers released this week. The entire roster are essentially expensive card fillers. If they could get away without any of them, I don’t doubt that they would. It’s a completely different world from the promotion that relied so heavily on the star power of a Sammartino or a Hogan or an Austin. Much like blockbuster films need IP more than stars these days.

Edited by HarmonicGenerator

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

The entire roster are essentially expensive card fillers

That's part of WWE mentally the past 10 years or so by all accounts, the WWE brand is the draw and the star and not any wrestler like days of old. If they can make it work it's a good business model because they don't need to worry about egos or people getting old or injured but it'll never stand long term in my opinion because it's ultimately a star driven business.

47 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

That's part of WWE mentally the past 10 years or so by all accounts, the WWE brand is the draw and the star and not any wrestler like days of old. If they can make it work it's a good business model because they don't need to worry about egos or people getting old or injured but it'll never stand long term in my opinion because it's ultimately a star driven business.

Absolutely. Might want to tell Stephanie though.

I can see the logic there though, the film is a draw because it’s a Marvel film, not because of which Marvel character occupies the tagline. Plus they’re both formulaic generic and interchangeable with godawful business practices. 

• Paid Members

Well that's part of it, no one is the star, everyone is part of the WWE conglomerate. As long as it has a WWE logo on a large enough number of people will buy it, same as they do for marvel. Doesn't matter too much which characters are below the logo when things are good though.

Unlike Marvel I doubt Spiderman will say something racist or kill his wife and kids and they need to try and avoid mentioning him.

1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

Unlike Marvel I doubt Spiderman will say something racist or kill his wife and kids and they need to try and avoid mentioning him.

Well, I doubt Roman Reigns would either, the man behind the character, who knows? Just like it's entirely possible that Tom Holland could.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, TheSurgeon said:

Well, I doubt Roman Reigns would either, the man behind the character, who knows? Just like it's entirely possible that Tom Holland could.

That's another fundamental difference, did people shit over someone new playing Spiderman or batman, no. Did they with diesel and razor, yes. Would they with Roman, yes.

Thats sort of my point. In the marvel example the characters are seen so separately from anyone portraying them, not so in wrestling and only the fans can change that, not just WWEs want.

Edited by Tommy!

47 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

That's another fundamental difference, did people shit over someone new playing Spiderman or batman,

Yes. They shit over the colour of their spandex or the length of their hair. They’re as entitled as wrestling fans, probably because many of them are in both camps. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes. They shit over the colour of their spandex or the length of their hair. They’re as entitled as wrestling fans, probably because many of them are in both camps. 

😆 Very true. That said I think my point still stands on the less obsessive elements that make up the lions share of both target audiences.

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, Tommy! said:

That's another fundamental difference, did people shit over someone new playing Spiderman or batman

Yes, pretty much every single time anyone is cast as Batman there's a mass outcry about it.

26 minutes ago, Daaaaaad! said:

Judging by the bloody woke-PC BLM lefty brigade, he'll be playing everyone, eh lads? It's reverse racism, that's what it is.

Scarlett Johansson will be playing the Nation Of Domination. Now we know her real reason for that lawsuit.