Fucking Hell, They Were Over...But Just For a Minute

mim731

• Paid Members

@air_raidRemember how it took about 10 minutes for the crowd to stop singing Gable, and then Jordan, etc to the tune of No Limits by 2Unlimited at American Alpha when we saw NXT in Blackpool? That soon wore off. It's that main roster effect. What works for the NXT crowd doesn't for the filthy casuals watching the main shows.

Damian Sandow doing the Mizdow stuff going into Wrestlemania 31. He was so over. Then he turned on Miz and the night after Mania said he wanted to be himself and no longer a stunt double. Not long after he was doing a Mega Powers Cosplay with Curtis Axel and gone from the company not long after. 

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, JNLister said:

That's MISTER McMahon to you.

You're not my real dad! 

@Callum1993that "Meta Powers" run was decent, but not as good as Mizdow. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

Main event Marella is always my go to for this

Fake out finish at the Rumble then onto the chamber where he went 30 minutes, pinned Cody & Barrett and was the last to be eliminated.

I remember people buying into it as well, wonder what it might have looked like if they'd taken the risk and actually done it (was only the 2nd world title after all)

16 minutes ago, courageous said:

Main event Marella is always my go to for this

Fake out finish at the Rumble then onto the chamber where he went 30 minutes, pinned Cody & Barrett and was the last to be eliminated.

I remember people buying into it as well, wonder what it might have looked like if they'd taken the risk and actually done it (was only the 2nd world title after all)

Santino’s overness never fizzled out though - just look at the reaction he got a couple of years later when he had that moment with Daniel Bryan in the elimination chamber. I found him grating, but I can’t deny that he remained popular right up until he left the company.

• Paid Members

A couple of weird TNA ones, but Jesse Neal - originally brought in as Rhino's "trainee", then teamed up with Shannon Moore in the tattooed punk tag team, Ink Inc. For some bizarre reason, despite being nothing particularly special, the crowd really got behind him whenever he was in the ring. Possibly because he showed a bit of fire, but he was pretty mediocre otherwise.

The other one that came to mind was Hernandez. Whenever he was in a tag team, he'd get huge pops, but whenever TNA decided to try and capitalise on it by giving him a singles run, he'd flop. 

• Paid Members

Remember when Cesaro was in the Real Americans and everyone was like “When he ditches Swagger and Zeb, he’s going to be a megastar!!” He won the Andre Battle Royal, split from them, became a “Paul Heyman Guy”and then proceeded to do absolutely fuck all.

Meanwhile Swagger and Zeb turned babyface and actually got really over defending the U.S against Rusev.

Of course Rusev won decisively and moved on to Cena while Swagger and Zeb just completely disappeared.

4 hours ago, Callum1993 said:

Damian Sandow doing the Mizdow stuff going into Wrestlemania 31. He was so over. Then he turned on Miz and the night after Mania said he wanted to be himself and no longer a stunt double. Not long after he was doing a Mega Powers Cosplay with Curtis Axel and gone from the company not long after. 

Another one who was briefly mega-over just after splitting from Miz was Alex Riley. Every time I rewatch Money in the Bank 2011 I'm amazed at the reaction he gets during his generic entrance. But we all know who's meant to have put the kibosh in his push.