Fucking Hell, They Were Over...But Just For a Minute

mim731

• Paid Members

If I recall correctly, Eugene was pretty hot for a few weeks in the summer of 04, including an incredible segment on Raw with the Rock and Coachman.  But he got pushed too heavily in such a short period of time and ended up in one of the main matches of Summerslam where he got booed out of the building against a heel HHH, and then it was pretty much curtains (or Sunday Night Heat) for him.

46 minutes ago, Yakashi said:

Too Cool were megastars for a short period of time. I think it gets lost because of the focus on the the ladder boys, but TC were probably more popular than any of them for a brief spell.

I agree Too Cool were up there in popularity. After The Rock and Mankind I would say Too Cool with Rikishi were the fan favourites in early to mid 2000. Crowds went nuts for them! That team were definitly more popular than the 3 ladder match teams during that time

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

@air_raidRemember how it took about 10 minutes for the crowd to stop singing Gable, and then Jordan, etc to the tune of No Limits by 2Unlimited at American Alpha when we saw NXT in Blackpool? That soon wore off. It's that main roster effect. What works for the NXT crowd doesn't for the filthy casuals watching the main shows.

At the risk of trolling, you could arguably say 'NXT'. There was a point where it was ridiculously hot. I could easily be mixing it up with my own response, especially as I no longer watch, but the lack of people leaving and keeping the main event scene fresh feels like it's turned quite a few people off. 

Not saying it's not still producing very high quality, but it doesn't feel like it's regarded in the way it was either.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Chris B said:

To be fair, I think Orange Cassidy will be a future addition to the list (as much as I love him).

I'm not so sure - I think they're being smart in how they use OC; he's moved away from doing the "lazy" gimmick for the entire match, and spends more of his time actually "wrestling" now than he used to. I think both AEW and Cassidy himself are smart enough to know that, with a regular TV audience, the extreme end of the gimmick has a shelf life, but that they can move away from that and into a more conventional babyface role in stages without sacrificing what got him over in the first place.

One of the great things about Cassidy is that, as anyone who saw him in his better moments as Fire Ant can attest to, the gimmick means he isn't showing even the tip of the iceberg of what he's capable of, so there's always going to be room for him to grow, or to still shock people  by pulling off a move they've never seen from him or wouldn't expect.