Well, I got that one wrong

RedRooster

11 minutes ago, gaz2050 said:

Nathan Jones. I used to tape all his vignettes convinced I'd be able to make copies of them and sell them online making me filthy rich. Now video tapes are a thing of the past and I'm none the richer. That guy owes me!. 

Will you trade for best of Paul London in ROH 2002 and an Ian Rotten shoot interview which cuts off where my mum taped EastEnders by mistake?

• Awards Moderator

Speaking of Paul London...

During my mid-2000s "Workreate~! Push da cruisers!" phase, it was definitely Paul London. How could they not see this was the future top star in wrestling? The girls would love him because he's good looking, and the guys will love him because of movez!!! He was like Shawn Michaels and Jeff Hardy rolled into one, how could they WASTE him like that, etc.

I'm sure he would have done better if he'd been around now, but I may have misjudged the potential there slightly.

Paul London for me, too. He was the lynchpin of my early teens phase of self identifying as a smart fan. I used to get genuinely excited when he got a spot on a single brand PPV card, convinced his cameo in that night's cruiserweight battle royal was a sign that top brass were interested - finally - in what he had to offer. Come to think of it, I used to feel a great wash of empathy for most of the cruiserweights on the blue brand back then. The little ones toiling away on Velocity doing the cool moves and just looking for a chance. I was desperate for my real dad to take a shine to them, much in the same way as a kid you'd feel awful passing a beggar and convince your mum to tip him some coin. 

I practically wet myself with excitement when he got a proper angle with Billy Kidman in 2004. You can't see me, my time is now! It was a decent little angle and I remember their No Mercy match being good. Billy Kidman walks in to my top three of shit "I cut my hair so you have to take me seriously now" turns, though.

spacer.png

Who did he think he was, wearing a ring jacket like that?

40 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

Paul London for me, too. He was the lynchpin of my early teens phase of self identifying as a smart fan. I used to get genuinely excited when he got a spot on a single brand PPV card, convinced his cameo in that night's cruiserweight battle royal was a sign that top brass were interested - finally - in what he had to offer. Come to think of it, I used to feel a great wash of empathy for most of the cruiserweights on the blue brand back then. The little ones toiling away on Velocity doing the cool moves and just looking for a chance. I was desperate for my real dad to take a shine to them, much in the same way as a kid you'd feel awful passing a beggar and convince your mum to tip him some coin. 

I practically wet myself with excitement when he got a proper angle with Billy Kidman in 2004. You can't see me, my time is now! It was a decent little angle and I remember their No Mercy match being good. Billy Kidman walks in to my top three of shit "I cut my hair so you have to take me seriously now" turns, though.

spacer.png

Who did he think he was, wearing a ring jacket like that?

I was 100% with you on this and it was based on his rating in EWR - he was very much the Freddy Adu or Cherno Samba of that game. From memory he had the best stats out of any wrestler on the WWE roster (perhaps even the game) as far as ringwork goes. So I would push him to the moon, and since it worked for me, well, obviously it would for WWE too, wouldn't it? When he debuted I was a little underwhelmed but I couldn't really admit that to myself, and I was sure his time would come, eventually...

My only memory of Paul London is meeting him in New York the night before Wrestlemania 20 and him being royally pissed off that he'd been made to go to the Hall of Fame ceremony rather than the ROH show with milk and cookies for the wrestlers. 

That and he was the only Cruiserweight the company not booked in the match at Wrestlemania.

11 hours ago, Yakashi said:

I was convinced Marty was going to be the Shawn when I was a kid. I just thought he was better.

100% this. Marty instantly became my favourite wrestler purely for his performance at Summerslam 90 when Shawn was injured before the match. This was the first wrestling match I had ever seen, I had just turned 10 and Martys heroism won me over more than anything anyone else did that night. When the Rockers split I was chuffed and was sure it was MJs time to shine. Even when he came back for the nth time for the Rockers reunion I was convinced he would get a fair chance of showing the world he was better than Michaels 🤣

To this day I'd be more likely to put Jannetty v Angle from Smackdown on than a HBK match....... The power of that first ever match I saw had such a lasting impression with me!! 

• Paid Members
12 hours ago, rollthedice said:

Think we all thought Sean O'Haire using the "I'm not telling you anything you don't already know" character in 03 was going to be big.

I can't actually remember why it ended, injury? 

I was going to say that. He had a great look, strength, but could move as well. I think he'd had some "personal problems" and gotten into some bar fights while he was down in developmental, so they let him go. 

• Paid Members

Taz. I'd completely left wrestling behind when I were about 12, 13ish and hadn't seen a single match since. Then, in January of 2000(when I was 18), I came in from the pub on a Sunday night(remember when the pubs had to shut at 10.30 on a Sunday?) and after finishing my kebab flicked the TV on to see what was on. It just so happened that Channel 4 was showing the 'Rumble live, so I thought I'd watch it for old times sake. The first match was Angle vs Taz, and the pop Tax got, along with his look made me think he was going to be huge!

Obviously, once I started watching regular again after that night, it quickly became apparent that he didn't have the size or charisma to make it to the top of the card. Just shows you though, how important a first impression actually is...

Di Biase the younger was smooth as fuck in the ring and looked confident enough whenever he had to cut a promo, I don't think he was that arsed with wrestling though. Pity as he had far more ability than that insufferable Cody Rhodes gobshite. Ted's first 'Priceless' theme was class too.

I thought auld Maven from original Tough Enough would catch on too, looking back now I don't know why. He was bland as fuck.