Well, I got that one wrong

RedRooster

1 hour ago, Your Fight Site said:

Who did hire Raven? Because he was back in WWE before WCW and ECW folded.

I believe he walked out on WCW in August 99 and Bischoff gave him his release but said he couldn't go to WWF. He went to ECW for a year then sorted his drug issues out and signed with WWF when JR was head of talent relations. He then showed up at Unforgiven in Philadelphia to a pretty decent reaction. 

In one of his shoots he says that he thinks Vince doesn't know he was ever in WCW and just assumes he was in ECW from 95 to 2000.

Edited by rollthedice

• Awards Moderator

All this Raven talk has given me a strong urge to rewatch Unforgiven 2000, or, The Night Stone Cold Came Back And Ruined A Good Thing.

I say rewatch... Unforgiven 2000 was the first PPV after my parents had given in and got us Sky Sports, but I hadn’t quite got the knack of recording the live PPVs at that point. So while I fondly remember the opener, the time limit Hardcore match, Raven coming in, and X-Pac vs Jericho, I think the tape cut out somewhere around the E&C/Hardyz cage match. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Fatal Four Way main event. 

It’s momentary nostalgic urges like these that make me almost tempted to sign back up to the Network.

5 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

All this Raven talk has given me a strong urge to rewatch Unforgiven 2000, or, The Night Stone Cold Came Back And Ruined A Good Thing.

I say rewatch... Unforgiven 2000 was the first PPV after my parents had given in and got us Sky Sports, but I hadn’t quite got the knack of recording the live PPVs at that point. So while I fondly remember the opener, the time limit Hardcore match, Raven coming in, and X-Pac vs Jericho, I think the tape cut out somewhere around the E&C/Hardyz cage match. I don’t think I’ve ever seen the Fatal Four Way main event. 

It’s momentary nostalgic urges like these that make me almost tempted to sign back up to the Network.

I seem to remember the newz sites "reporting" Raven was going to be coming in and doing something with Undertaker. 13 year old me was all for that but in hindsight, as if. They chucked him with Tazz because they were both in ECW and then threw him in the hardcore division.

His last match was a qualifier for the Rumble against Jeff Hardy on Raw. He came out wearing black trunks and I knew it was over. IIRC, he was released the next day and turned up in TNA the day after that.

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, MPDTT said:

Samoa Joe. After the Kurt Angle fued in TNA, I was convinced he was going to be the biggest star of his generation.

He could have been so much more until that Nation Of Violence angle where he looked like he'd fallen asleep at a party and somebody had drawn a dick on his face. He was a casualty of the Hogan Bischoff era, but it didn't look like it properly clicked when he got to WWE either. I think something inside him just gave up somewhere. One day he just couldn't be arsed. 

I was a big mark for Riddle when I saw him in PROGRESS. How times have changed. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

He could have been so much more until that Nation Of Violence angle where he looked like he'd fallen asleep at a party and somebody had drawn a dick on his face. He was a casualty of the Hogan Bischoff era, but it didn't look like it properly clicked when he got to WWE either. I think something inside him just gave up somewhere. One day he just couldn't be arsed. 

I was a big mark for Riddle when I saw him in PROGRESS. How times have changed. 

He looked like a genuine threat to Brock in the build upto their PPV match but then Brock did him in 7/8 minutes with one F5. Reigns can take 5 but Joe gets pinned after 1. The next night he cut a cracking promo telling Brock "hey you look at me when I'm talking to you or we can settle this right now"

I liked both the Dashing Cody Rhodes and the Disfigured Cody Rhodes characters, I thought it was funny that he got over by handing out paper bags to cover up the ugly members of the audience.

I also wanted Damien Sandow to become WWE Champion and I believed that he would win when he got the Money In The Bank briefcase but of course Big Match John scuppered that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, rollthedice said:

He looked like a genuine threat to Brock in the build upto their PPV match but then Brock did him in 7/8 minutes with one F5. Reigns can take 5 but Joe gets pinned after 1. The next night he cut a cracking promo telling Brock "hey you look at me when I'm talking to you or we can settle this right now"

They spent about a year having everybody job to a single F5 just to try and make Reigns look better when he was kicking out of them for fun at the following Wrestlemania and didn't think it'd make anybody look weak. There was also a match with Reigns where Joe got him in the Coqina Clutch and he was out, to the point where if it'd been anybody else the ref would have called it, then Reigns just opens his "blue" eyes, grabs the ropes, hits a BIG DOG! followed by a BIG DOG! before finishing Joe with a BIG DOG! with his only real offence of the match. I have a feeling if Rollins hadn't been injured when Joe arrived on Raw he might have had more of a chance. Joe Vs Rollins at Elimination Chamber or Roadblock could have been a good match. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

They spent about a year having everybody job to a single F5 just to try and make Reigns look better when he was kicking out of them for fun at the following Wrestlemania and didn't think it'd make anybody look weak. There was also a match with Reigns where Joe got him in the Coqina Clutch and he was out, to the point where if it'd been anybody else the ref would have called it, then Reigns just opens his "blue" eyes, grabs the ropes, hits a BIG DOG! followed by a BIG DOG! before finishing Joe with a BIG DOG! with his only real offence of the match. I have a feeling if Rollins hadn't been injured when Joe arrived on Raw he might have had more of a chance. Joe Vs Rollins at Elimination Chamber or Roadblock could have been a good match. 

Jay, when’s the next episode out?

On 2/27/2021 at 6:59 PM, Mr Butternut Squash said:

I remember thinking John Morrison looked like a superstar with his long hair, buff bod and cool flippy shit and he would break away from The Miz to be the "next Shawn Michaels" and, well . . . 

Well tbf to John Morrison he has had a very successful career; Main titles in AAA, Impact, won everything in WWE except the big one.

10 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Well tbf to John Morrison he has had a very successful career; Main titles in AAA, Impact, won everything in WWE except the big one.

And yet after all this time, Starship Pain still looks about as painful as someone tickling you behind the ear.

• Paid Members

Riddle’s a good shout. I loved him in UFC, always thought he came across great, a real character, super charismatic and so talented in the ring that I was convinced he’d be the next Daniel Bryan or CM Punk where he’d rise to the top no matter what. Triple H chuckling to himself when he met him for the first time and he wasn’t wearing shoes! He was going straight to the top!

I guess we’ll never know if him being exposed as a horrible scumbag was the deal breaker of if he was always going to end up being a Poundland RVD.

Samoa Joe would’ve made it if they’d given him the ball or if injuries hadn’t caught up with him. I’m absolutely convinced of it. I’ve never seen anyone get so close and so obviously have the tools. He just wasn’t Roman Reigns at a time when they were so convinced it had to be him. That feud with Brock was phenomenal. Every interaction they had, Joe felt completely believable as a hardcase who was on Brock’s level. And then that AJ Styles feud was like a showcase of Joe’s insane ability to make anything work. Scripted to read fucking bedtime stories and the man made it work. He’s the best.

I’d never considered it before but now that Roman is the mob boss bully heel Samoa Joe coming back and squaring up to him as the smirking badass babyface is dream match stuff.

8018E10B-4EAA-4D10-BB83-435BC37A987E.jpeg.d467d50bb4f1051096b0b1092e0d5e20.jpeg

“OH ROOOOOMAN.”

Edited by Supremo