WWE Royal Rumble 2021

tiger_rick

Men's Rumble looks wide open this year which should make for an exciting match. Looking at the odds, Daniel Bryan is the favourite. Haven't they telegraphed that a bit? I can't get past the image of him being dumped by a returning Brock/Goldberg or Seth Rollins for the heat. Keith Lee being second favourite is a laugh. For a moment if felt like Big E's year, but he's kneecapped himself still acting all mid card. Edge I could see if he's healthy but that would be such an eerie comedown after last year. Really can't call it.

Women's Rumble seems easier to call, although Bianca Belair and Rhea Ripley having better odds than Charlotte Flair and Bayley makes me question what company people are watching. It's Bayley all the way for me, to reignite the Sasha/Bayley thing. 

I know there was talk of Ronda being back in training recently. Is she as mad as people say? What are the chances of her making a comeback in front of no fans?

Edited by Mr Butternut Squash

15 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Men's Rumble looks wide open this year which should make for an exciting match. Looking at the odds, Daniel Bryan is the favourite. Haven't they telegraphed that a bit? I can't get past the image of him being dumped by a returning Brock/Goldberg or Seth Rollins for the heat. Keith Lee being second favourite is a laugh. For a moment if felt like Big E's year, but he's kneecapped himself still acting all mid card. Edge I could see if he's healthy but that would be such an eerie comedown after last year. Really can't call it.

Women's Rumble seems easier to call, although Bianca Belair and Rhea Ripley having better odds than Charlotte Flair and Bayley makes me question what company people are watching. It's Bayley all the way for me, to reignite the Sasha/Bayley thing. 

I know there was talk of Ronda being back in training recently. Is she as mad as people say? What are the chances of her making a comeback in front of no fans?

While they could've rushed Big E into the main event scene, it won't hurt him to solidify himself as a singles star at IC level at the moment. Especially if they're still happy to keep the belt on Reigns which I have no issue with.

As much as I'd enjoy a Sasha/Bayley match at Mania in front of fans, it feels like the right time to go with Bianca. It'd suck if they cut her off.

18 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

While they could've rushed Big E into the main event scene, it won't hurt him to solidify himself as a singles star at IC level at the moment. Especially if they're still happy to keep the belt on Reigns which I have no issue with.

As much as I'd enjoy a Sasha/Bayley match at Mania in front of fans, it feels like the right time to go with Bianca. It'd suck if they cut her off.

I love Big E, and I'll always have a soft spot for New Day turning Vince's racism on it's head, but it's never been the type of character they give a serious push at the main event level. Maybe I'm wrong, and the fans spark a movement when they return, but I can't see anything more for him than a brief, Kofi-style golden watch run until he completely sheds any resemblance to his New Day self.

Last time I saw Bianca she was counted out at Survivor Series and was a background figure to the Lana/Nia Jax stuff. I'd love it if she won but she don't seem to have the momentum going to be cut off.

• Paid Members

It's really hard to look past Brick winning the rumble and then teasing either a return against Drew or a conflicted Heyman and Reigns. Bryan to get a chamber match against Roman,  Nakamura to get nothing.

17 minutes ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

Last time I saw Bianca she was counted out at Survivor Series and was a background figure to the Lana/Nia Jax stuff. I'd love it if she won but she don't seem to have the momentum going to be cut off.

I think they've been doing well with her on SmackDown. Some decent promos. Hanging with Bayley and looking good in the process. Just showcasing her athleticism etc. She's primed for that next step I think.

• Paid Members
6 hours ago, Mr Butternut Squash said:

If we’re to believe reports Ronda would probably prefer to wrestle in front of no fans. I’ve read it a few times that fans turning on her is what soured Ronda on both UFC and WWE. She’d probably be a lot happier and less likely to do those awful shoot promos online if WWE piped in cheers for her.

Something I’ve been thinking about recently - do you think the performers themselves can hear the piped in reactions? Or is it all that done in the truck, with the guys wrestling in silence?    It must be really awkward wrestling in that huge arena with no noise, just a wall of silent, digital faces staring back at you.

On the men’s side I hadn’t even considered Brock but now he’s definitely my favourite. Babyface Brock vs. heel Roman isn’t the worst idea in the world. Wouldn’t shock me at all if that ended being the Wrestlemania main event. Only problem is I wouldn’t trust them to not try a double turn. Until Vince dies, all road will always lead back to Roman, “heroically,” conquering Brock Lesnar and it failing to work.

I thought this was a nice little article on the Royal Rumble. Loads of quotes from guys who’ve been involved in it, going over all the different aspects of the match.

https://www.fightful.com/wrestling/exclusives/inside-royal-rumble-exclusive-stories-people-involved-wwe-s-most-exciting-match

Matt Striker still doesn’t get it though. Talking about how the Rumble works best when the commentators don’t know about the surprise entrances and are able to react naturally when they come out. Yeah, maybe for most people Matt, but let’s not pretend your, “I’m marking out bro!” wasn’t one of the worst calls in the history of the event.

• Paid Members

I’ve rewatched a few Rumbles to get myself in the mood and My God I forget how over Becky Lynch was in 2019. I never thought someone would click like that again after Daniel Bryan in 2016. Genuinely, naturally, vociferously over. Not just popular. Fucking loved.

Even better than her winning is still the bit where Fit Finlay allows her to enter the match and motions her to the ring.

97E9A491-F32F-4F66-8760-636C5511843A.thumb.jpeg.172436f9e8bcc9c9271f946ca4af9a24.jpeg

The roof comes off the arena. Stone Cold Steve Austin pop. When it’s good it’s fucking great.

Assuming someone in the company has been watching these matches back to make the,” It’s All in the Numbers,” video, I can’t fathom someone seeing this and not deciding to offer Becky tens of millions to come back as soon as possible.

And those are the moments they'll inevitably try to recreate and fail because its really lightning in a bottle. Much like when Bryan came back and they didn't really have any idea what to do with him. But yeah I'm excited to have her back as long as they keep her away from Seth. I'm hoping they both know that's for the best now.

9 hours ago, CL Punk said:

Does Brock really need a Rumble win to fight Reigns at Mania?

Surely Brock can just walk onto an episode of Smackdown and challenge Roman for the title, just like another old part timer did on Raw.

Him and Oldberg can just fuck all the way off.

Easy.

I can understand people not liking how Goldberg swans in and out - I’m still a fan, but whatever - but Brock is superb. 

He has cultivated an astonishing aura, developed a completely unique style, and not been afraid to work with talent from across the card and elevated them (if not in victory then in performance).

He might be a ruthless, self-interested negotiator when it comes to contract renewal time (I mean, good for him) but he’s a consummate professional and the absolute definition of superstar and special attraction.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
44 minutes ago, Supremo said:

I’ve rewatched a few Rumbles to get myself in the mood and My God I forget how over Becky Lynch was in 2019. I never thought someone would click like that again after Daniel Bryan in 2016. Genuinely, naturally, vociferously over. Not just popular. Fucking loved.

Even better than her winning is still the bit where Fit Finlay allows her to enter the match and motions her to the ring.

97E9A491-F32F-4F66-8760-636C5511843A.thumb.jpeg.172436f9e8bcc9c9271f946ca4af9a24.jpeg

The roof comes off the arena. Stone Cold Steve Austin pop. When it’s good it’s fucking great.

Assuming someone in the company has been watching these matches back to make the,” It’s All in the Numbers,” video, I can’t fathom someone seeing this and not deciding to offer Becky tens of millions to come back as soon as possible.

I was one of those who loved Becky Lynch and her rise was what got me back into WWE after a few years of not paying any attention. Also, how they utterly fucked up the build by shoe-horning in Charlotte and involving the McMahon's into the story which literally no one wanted or liked than finished with a dull triple threat with a botched rollup ending was genuinely the last straw and convinced me they will never tell a satisfying story ever again. I haven't watched a full show since. If AEW hadn't come along I very probably would have given up on wrestling forever.