Pinned by an elbow drop!

tiger_rick

https://www.wwe.com/videos/kerry-von-erich-vs-ric-flair-nwa-world-heavyweight-championship-wccw-david-von-erich-memorial-parade-of-champions-may-6-1984

Always disliked this finish. It's an NWA title win, thousands of fans are there. My guess is that they made it look flukey as Flair would take the title back a couple of weeks later as the title change was because it was the David Von Erich memorial show. 

• Paid Members
36 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

@air_raid Yeah, the clothesline was fucking lethal at Survivors 90. Anvil jobbed to one from DiBiase, but the creme de la creme is the one Slaughter does on Butch, more for Butch's selling before the clothesline, which needs to be gif'd. It looks like a pissed deer on ice.

ezgif.com-gif-maker.gif

• Paid Members

I always liked the 'out-of-the-blue' eliminations in the middle of Survivor Series matches, it made it feel like there was so much going on that the wrestlers couldn't find their normal level of focus so they'd get caught out with moves that they'd usually be able to 'brace themselves' for.

Agreed. The idea of getting caught napping because you're only used to dealing with one opponent is great. I wish they'd make more of that, especially if you have tag teams involved who in kayfabe should be used to keeping tracking of a load more opponents than a dedicated singles wrestler.

Only getting wins with your finish makes everything more predictable, and makes the rest of your moveset less engaging and more pointless. As ever, Bret was the master of this. If he couldn't get you with the Sharpshooter, he'd pin you out of nowhere with a victory roll or small package, and once he got you with the Sharpshooter, the feud was done. Nowadays it seems the only surprise pin you get is a snap rollup.

Edited by CavemanLynn

3 hours ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Not sure if this counts but Kizarny's (roll through DDT) finisher is particularly weak. Not only does he not properly spike the DDT, the rollover and subsequent laying on top of the opponent is ridiculous.

Wasn’t this his only televised match before he was fired? Awful finish to be fair. 

• Paid Members

Ric Flair pinned Barry Windham with the figure four at Beach Blast 93. I remember being a bit puzzled by it when I went through all the 92/93 shows on here a while back. It wasn’t even like a ‘passed out from the pain’ thing like Bret-Austin at WrestleMania 13. Flair slaps it on and Windham’s lying back reaching for the ropes and his shoulders just stay down and the ref counts him out. If it wasn’t for Windham being one of the best in ring of all time I’d swear it was a cock up and he was meant to get the shoulder up. Still not sure it wasn’t a mistake but the ref had no choice but to count. Just looked odd. If it was meant to be the finish it was weak as piss. 

Edited by wandshogun09

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Callum1993 said:

Wasn’t this his only televised match before he was fired? Awful finish to be fair. 

Indeed it was. They aired really bizarre vignettes for about 6 weeks in the run up to his debut and within 90 seconds it was crystal clear he was absolutely no use. 

The MVP match was mid October I believe and he wasn't seen on television again, getting released the following March.

Imagine pitching what in theory should be an interesting character only for them to give it to a below average wrestler with no upside at all.

• Moderators
4 hours ago, air_raid said:

Hogan pins Paul Roma after a clothesline (admittedly it did look great)

I never minded it from Hogan watching it now as we know what was his finish elsewhere and he was using the Axe Bomber as an occasional finish in WWF still til about 86 or so. And yeah, it looked good.