Pinned by an elbow drop!

tiger_rick

• Paid Members

A great moment of nostalgia but pinned by an elbow drop! 

What other "weak" finishes would have us all crying today?

As an aside, I love that Ax is actively trying to pull Andre off (oh Matron) and the ref counts anyway because he's still pinned. When did it become a thing for the ref to stop counting because someone lightly touched the guy making the cover? It's shite. 

36 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

A great moment of nostalgia but pinned by an elbow drop! 

What other "weak" finishes would have us all crying today?

As an aside, I love that Ax is actively trying to pull Andre off (oh Matron) and the ref counts anyway because he's still pinned. When did it become a thing for the ref to stop counting because someone lightly touched the guy making the cover? It's shite. 

I don’t think that is a weak finish. Andre headbutted him in the back of the head, choked him and Haku kicked him in the face, then a 500lb man dropped his elbow in his face. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, wandshogun09 said:

Not as memorable as those two but I always thought Victoria beating Trish with a snap suplex at Survivor Series 2002 was weird. But I’m guessing that wasn’t the original planned finish and they improvised for some reason. 

Incidentally she spoke about this on Chris Van Vliet's podcast about how that finish was botched because she had been knocked silly earlier in the match. From 411mania.com/wrestling:

On winning the WWE Women’s title from Trish at Survivor Series 2002: “It was at Madison Square Garden. I broke my nose, chipped my tooth, and I got a lump on my head. When I broke my nose, [the referee] goes, ‘Do you want me to finish it?’ And I was like, ‘No, I can’t. Just tell her to stay away from me for a little bit. I can’t see.’ Your eyes water when you break your nose. I still continued on and the match got messed up a little bit in the end. I was supposed to crush her with the mirror on her head, and she stepped on the mirror running the ropes. I was like, ‘I don’t know what to do.’ My go-to move was the suplex. I did that as a finish after putting the fire extinguisher, and I grabbed the wrong one. She’s like, ‘Get in here. Just forget it. Forget it.’ I go, ‘I got it.’ I started cursing, and I got it and sprayed her. I should have just rolled her up, but I did a suplex. What the hell? That was my go-to move though. I loved the suplex. Of course, going backstage, you’re like, ‘Everything got screwed up back there. I’m going to get yelled at. They’re going to fire me.’ It was a great storyline. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

I don’t think that is a weak finish. Andre headbutted him in the back of the head, choked him and Haku kicked him in the face, then a 500lb man dropped his elbow in his face. 

Nah, it isn't because it's Andre, that's why I said "weak". Two decades later with Khali though? We're all pissing at that.

Another one for the discussion, what about Bret vs. Perfect at SummerSlam 91? Bret's reversal into the sharpshooter is amazing but the ref rings the bell before he's even stood up. Never bothered me watching it but Da Meltz was critical of it.

41 minutes ago, Tsurutagun said:

Not sure if this counts but over the top rope disqualifications in mid 90s WCW were stupid. Even stupider when they happened in cruiserweight title matches. 

Wasn't that 'always' a DQ anywhere other than WWF? I'm sure I remember Jim Cornette saying something similar during a Heavenly Bodies vs Rock N Roll Express match at Survivor Series

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, boshealecta said:

Survivor Series back in the day always used to have odd finishes. People pinned with clothesline’s and suplexes. Never happened any other time. 

This is true. Survivors 90 has a load of them. Earthquake pins Boss Man with an elbow drop, Hogan pins Paul Roma after a clothesline (admittedly it did look great) and Sgt Laughter pinned THREE of the opponents without using his finish.

Survivors was also great for seldom-successful flash pins. I was stunned when I saw Rocker Shawn pin a Beverly Brother with a backslide. Not only was that the first time I’d seen someone pinned off one, I can’t remember the next time I saw it as the finish on a PPV or high profile TV match.

The weakest roll up pin was when the heel kneels down teabagging the babyface but gets reversed with legs hooking the armpits. Beefcake pinning The Model with it at Survivors 89 and Bret using it on Barbar at MSG and possibly another Coliseum match come to mind, and IIRC it was the finish to Snuka/Barbar at UK Rampage too. Was a very unconvincing finish considering how rarely a full speed sunset flip got a win.

Of course, the best flash pin of all time was Bret/Bulldog at SummerSlam which looked snug as fuck and completely believable.

• Paid Members

Not sure if this counts but Kizarny's (roll through DDT) finisher is particularly weak. Not only does he not properly spike the DDT, the rollover and subsequent laying on top of the opponent is ridiculous.

1 hour ago, stewdogg said:

Wasn't that 'always' a DQ anywhere other than WWF? I'm sure I remember Jim Cornette saying something similar during a Heavenly Bodies vs Rock N Roll Express match at Survivor Series

Yeah it was.

It added to the drama of a battle royal match where they HAD to go over the top rope.