Pinned by an elbow drop!

tiger_rick

When it comes to quick, mad pins like these the first that springs to mind for me outside of Survivor Series matches is Steve Austin vs Yokozuna on the Summerslam 1996 pre-show(!) Austin won after 1 minute 52 seconds because the top rope broke off when Yoko went for a Banzai Drop. Slightly better in that he didn't just fall down like at Mania 10, but yep, a potential classic between legends ruined, heh.

• Paid Members

I don’t think Austin vs Yokozuna would’ve been much good anyway, to be honest. By 96 Yoko was on the way out and it was on the Free For All so probably wasn’t going longer than 5 minutes anyway.

Still kind of mad to me that Austin was slumming it on the Free For All at SummerSlam that year. Revisionism tells it like Austin skyrocketed after the KOTR win and promo but he was doing nothing really until Bret came back at Survivor Series. 

• Paid Members

I'm with @CoreyVandal on enjoying the Survivor Series eliminations, when I was a kid I told myself that as there's so many people on the apron and so much to focus on that taking your eye off the ball and getting beat with a backslide or a clothesline is fair enough. Of course, it doesn't work half as well now when 6 and 8-man tags happen every week.

The oddest one for me when I was younger was Austin pinning Benoit at King of the Ring 2001 after Benoit had hit a suplex off the top. Of course I later found out Benoit had broke his neck but at the time it was one of the most anti-climatic finishes I could remember.

Dustin finishing people with a running bulldog at the moment is a bit weird, as is Kazarian suddenly beating people with a bog-standard inverted DDT. I do appreciate toning matches down and not every match having to end with finishers being spammed, so I don't mind it too much.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I'm with @CoreyVandal on enjoying the Survivor Series eliminations, when I was a kid I told myself that as there's so many people on the apron and so much to focus on that taking your eye off the ball and getting beat with a backslide or a clothesline is fair enough. 

Those eliminations are fine, there's always a tonne of double count outs and DQs as well though which is always a bit shit. 

• Paid Members
48 minutes ago, gmoney said:

Those eliminations are fine, there's always a tonne of double count outs and DQs as well though which is always a bit shit. 

Keeping intrigue alive for those house show feuds. Nobody was going to get excited over their LOD v Demolition c show main event if they saw one pin the other on the PPV. Survivors 90 was the worst for that.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Just Some Guy said:

I've been wondering about "power creep" in wrestling for a while now. Wrestlers seem to me at least to need more and more extreme "drop you on your head" finishers.

Unless I'm misremembering my youth watching World of Sport, most of the pins came from technique rather than unconsciousness. 

I really don't like the influx of moves that involve massive neck impact that seems to have crept in over the past 20 years tbh.

It feels to me like it all started on a national level with the likes of Scott Steiner and then Taz and Benoit's incessent German suplexes. Don't ask me why, but  while piledrivers etc don't bother me, I wince at how often we see moves ending up with such obvious neck trauma. 

For instance, how do you take a One Winged Angel safely? With a back bump you can spread your weight I'd have thought, whereas how do you protect your neck in a similar way? Speaking as someone who's never stepped foot in the ring, it can't be good for you in the long run surely?

Going back to finishers though, the worm and people's elbow were dreadful finishers if you take away the lead-up to them. At least Hogan's legdrop was sold pretty well due to the size of the guy performing it.

The weakest match ending for me has always been that shit spot where someone counters a cross body from the top rope by flipping them over once on the mat. It never looks good, but the Wendi Richter/Leilani Kai finish at WM1 particularly springs to mind.

"Momentum" my arse, terrible.

Edited by garynysmon

1 hour ago, garynysmon said:

I really don't like the influx of moves that involve massive neck impact that seems to have crept in over the past 20 years tbh.

It feels to me like it all started on a national level with the likes of Scott Steiner and then Taz and Benoit's incessent German suplexes. Don't ask me why, but  while piledrivers etc don't bother me, I wince at how often we see moves ending up with such obvious neck trauma. 

For instance, how do you take a One Winged Angel safely? With a back bump you can spread your weight I'd have thought, whereas how do you protect your neck in a similar way? Speaking as someone who's never stepped foot in the ring, it can't be good for you in the long run surely?

Going back to finishers though, the worm and people's elbow were dreadful finishers if you take away the lead-up to them. At least Hogan's legdrop was sold pretty well due to the size of the guy performing it.

On the second point - they were perhaps a dreadful finisher, but they made a great signature. For me, there is finishing moves - a move that could feasibly finish a match almost instantly at any point or almost certainly guaranteed victory once caught with it following all the complimentary offence to it. And signature moves, that might not be able to do what a finisher does, but the wrestler likes to sign off their victory with. Really suited someone like The Rock perfectly to do that.

On the first point, agreed. Although i think 90's Japan might have a lot to answer for there also. It's just my take on wrestling, i like a snug style, crazy or even just regular head/neck bumps are quite unnecessary and easily avoidable though. I worked for a bit and although definitely working snug, kept my offence entirely to my opponent required to only taking a back bump or at the most flip bump for that reason.

On the original topic point - WrestleMania VIII, Savage dethrones Flair after a closed fist and a roll-up!

Bradshaw had a run of really weak survivor series eliminations, always roll ups he almost kicked out of or a quick finisher 

Shit pins similar to Austin pinning Yoko were Mabel getting pinned by Double J at Summerslam 94 after missing a legdrop and Jarrett pinning him with no contact, another is against IRS at KOTR same with a pin with fuck body to body or weight behind it

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, garynysmon said:

Going back to finishers though, The weakest match ending for me has always been that shit spot where someone counters a cross body from the top rope by flipping them over once on the mat.

All down to the execution. Bret and Ted made it look good at Survivors 90 without the top rope even being involved. Breaking my heart in the process.