RIP Brodie Lee

IANdrewDiceClay

• Paid Members

Watching Raw, it never struck me that they didn't do enough. A number of segments had guys making sweet references to him, whether it be discus clotheslines, armbands or nods to it being Monday, and you know what that means.

Ultimately though, telling people how to grieve or pay tribute is one of the shittest things you can do. Anyone involved in that racket should be ignored.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, dopper said:

I think “too little, too late” is harsh on Keller.

He posted a statement the same day that the article blew up saying it had not gone through the usual editing process before being published on their site and apologised for that.

Then the next day he had fired the guy who he had worked alongside for 30 years because it was the right thing to do.

Didnt Keller initially post that he stood by Mitchell and what he had posted? Not necessarily the content of the post but Mitchell's right to post it? Seems Keller changed his mind once the backlash got rough and probably caught wind that Huber's family were aware of it.

Given it was a holiday/Xmas Raw I thought maybe WWE didn't want to bring the tone down and depress people after a shitty year and possibly a depressing time for some, reminding of death (more than a little tribute) on a show for escapism.

What people expect from WWE or "Vince" is crazy, they seen to put wrestlng in a weird bracket that it's not a place of work but Vince owes them something for life, ex employers won't do much for people in a normal job.

21 minutes ago, Egg Shen said:

Didnt Keller initially post that he stood by Mitchell and what he had posted? Not necessarily the content of the post but Mitchell's right to post it? Seems Keller changed his mind once the backlash got rough and probably caught wind that Huber's family were aware of it.

I certainly didn’t see Keller stand by the post. While I won’t definitively say it didn’t happen, I would expect to find evidence of it online (eg. a screen-capped tweet). Situations like this grow arms and legs on social media, and misinformation can spread fast.

It’s heartbreaking that Brodie’s wife had to issue that statement. It’s also surprising that such a controversial article could end up published without any editorial insight (although it is the festive season, so people may be taking time off).

However, Keller has addressed this pretty openly, including on his podcasts. The article has been removed and Mitchell has been fired. I’m not sure what else you would expect to happen.

If it’s ‘too little, too late’, what should have happened instead? Keller isn’t going to wind up the Torch and frankly, I can see why anyone would be hesitant to dismiss a colleague (and presumably a friend) of 30 years, wouldn’t you? All we see is the article. He’ll also see the human being who wrote it, as shitty and insensitive as it was.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

What people expect from WWE or "Vince" is crazy, they seen to put wrestlng in a weird bracket that it's not a place of work but Vince owes them something for life, ex employers won't do much for people in a normal job.

They have set those expectations with the way they've handled deaths of current and former talent over the years. It's absolutely going to be discussed now depending on whether they think someone is worthy of a tribute show, a ten bell salute, a video package, a quick graphic or nothing at all. Nobody just decided WWF/WWE have to do it, they chose to.

9 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

Given it was a holiday/Xmas Raw I thought maybe WWE didn't want to bring the tone down and depress people after a shitty year and possibly a depressing time for some, reminding of death (more than a little tribute) on a show for escapism.

Ah, the escapism of burning people alive.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, The Cutting Edge said:

If this is the reason then it's even worse that they didn't pay a proper tribute. Death doesn't care if it's Spring, Summer, Easter or Christmas. The fact remains Brodie Lee was part of one of the best stables and involved in MOTY feuds regularly for WWE. If Sting popped his clogs tomorrow I'd guarantee there would be more than a graphic briefly on the screen.

3 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

If this is the reason then it's even worse that they didn't pay a proper tribute. Death doesn't care if it's Spring, Summer, Easter or Christmas. The fact remains Brodie Lee was part of one of the best stables and involved in MOTY feuds regularly for WWE. If Sting popped his clogs tomorrow I'd guarantee there would be more than a graphic briefly on the screen.

Do you not think Sting's a slightly bigger name in the industry than Brodie though? It wouldn't surprise me if Sting got more, but it wouldn't make me angry about Brodie's tribute either.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, DavidB6937 said:

Do you not think Sting's a slightly bigger name in the industry than Brodie though? It wouldn't surprise me if Sting got more, but it wouldn't make me angry about Brodie's tribute either.

Obviously he's a bigger name and I'm not angry at all. It's just very disappointing. Every opportunity that WWE has for good publicity or to do the right thing or show compassion is squandered. In this case it's a real shame because everyone to a man has said incredibly touching and positive things about Lee. Whether they give Sting the full bhuna or not, in my option Lee deserved more than a piddly wee graphic. 

7 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

Was just an idea, I get death doesn't take a holiday but maybe they didn't wanna dwell on it, I liked the tributes the guys did themselves it felt more personal and meaningful

obviously escapism within reason, burning people alive etc is stupid and far fetched and shouldn't be done

35 minutes ago, Suplex Sinner said:

We all know the reason why he didn't get the video package treatment on RAW. In some people's minds, those being key players backstage, Brodie is an AEW guy who turned his back on WWE. These are the people who got the announcers to bury WCW during the Sting/Triple H match, that call other promotions minor league on television. Those people are stuck in a war mentality like it was in the eighties and the Monday Night war and the fact they couldn't do a couple of minutes video package in a 3 hour show proves it