Darker side of the ring: Vince on Netflix

tiger_rick

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Daaaaaad! said:

This will be an extended version of that “McMahon!” documentary they released a few years ago, which basically revealed nothing and added no real insight to anything.

Was that not the one where they casually talked about Vince proposing that he and Stephanie do an incest storyline where he'd be revealed as the father of her child?

That's the fascinating thing about stuff like this. The McMahons live in such an isolated, oddball world that they don't know just how fucking weird they are. They'll obviously try and make themselves look awesome but, they've got such a skewed vision of right and wrong, that it could still end up being really interesting all the same.

1 hour ago, unfitfinlay said:

Was that not the one where they casually talked about Vince proposing that he and Stephanie do an incest storyline where he'd be revealed as the father of her child?

That's the fascinating thing about stuff like this. The McMahons live in such an isolated, oddball world that they don't know just how fucking weird they are. They'll obviously try and make themselves look awesome but, they've got such a skewed vision of right and wrong, that it could still end up being really interesting all the same.

In fairness, any time I've seen Shane interviewed outside of wrestling he seems quite normal, the rest are just mental though 

4 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

When Stephanie shot down the idea, Vince suggested Shane instead - as if it was less weird. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, unfitfinlay said:

That's the fascinating thing about stuff like this. The McMahons live in such an isolated, oddball world that they don't know just how fucking weird they are.

JR once compared Vince to Michael Jackson in that he doesn't really know how to be a normal person so he's created a world for himself that he has complete control over and can hide from reality. 

Cannot wait for this! 

You never know, the agreement may be Netflix have complete control over the presentation, but WWE agree to provide talent and clips.

Vince is smart, he'll know controversy and authenticity will draw with mainstream and smart fans. Perhaps he'll surprise us with a semi-authentic, impartial piece. 

One possibility is that whilst the series itself is quite forgiven, it domino effects to a more mainstream interest in the fucked up things WWE/Vince have been involved with. Nobody cares about fake wrestling, but a marquee Netflix doc is pretty much guaranteed to be a cultural talking point these days, so it has the remote potential to open infinitely more doors than that John Oliver piece a few years back. 

5 hours ago, IronSheik said:

You never know, the agreement may be Netflix have complete control over the presentation, but WWE agree to provide talent and clips.

With WWE Studios also in the mix?

It all depends on who the talking heads are on this project. Like him or not Dave Meltzer is the perfect guy to call for this, but will they? The only people that will talk are people friendly with WWE because that is what the E want

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

It all depends on who the talking heads are on this project. Like him or not Dave Meltzer is the perfect guy to call for this, but will they? The only people that will talk are people friendly with WWE because that is what the E want

Why is Meltzer the perfect guy for this? He's never been in McMahon's inner circle, has he? I'm not doubting he's knowledgeable to a degree about McMahon, before the Da board Meltz fanboys start rounding on me, but if this documentary is going to be at all interesting or revelatory then it needs contributions from those who have worked closely with him that don't have an agenda one way or another. It also needs to not be a bullshit, corporate job, which it will be.

The only part of that previous McMahon documentary that was at all interesting was the revelation about the incest storyline. That's the only bit anyone remembers. But it's doubtful he'll let the mask slip to such a degree again, especially in front of what is certain to be a much larger and critical audience.

• Paid Members
On 10/30/2020 at 9:44 AM, Daaaaaad! said:

This will be an extended version of that “McMahon!” documentary they released a few years ago, which basically revealed nothing and added no real insight to anything.

Yeah, it was absolutely terrible wasn't it? Everybody might as well get down and start sucking the amount of plaudits he was getting. Big evil Ted Turner probably thought of Vince McMahon about five times in his life. Just the Stephanie parts were nauseating.

I seriously doubt that we'll get even 5% of the utter wrong'un stuff that's gone on. For one thing there are so, so so many people dependant on wwe  for their income, potentially future income or next gens income that they'll be unlikely to say:

"Back in xxx Vince made me mainline Tren for fun, gift my wife to him sexually, abused me royally Infront of my peers an demanded I work 300 days in a row with 2 broken legs etc etc" 

What the majority of us want to known is the 'real' sinister, bent shit as its what we've all been quasi fact fantasising about for years. 

Given what we already know (and how bad it is) and didny bother to all out quash one can only wonder about the real 'shit' they've had to cover up/payoff/blackmail out of. 

21 minutes ago, Cannibal Man said:

Pretty invaluable for fact checking and that kind of thing i'd imagine. Decent balance to all the utter shit yer Pritchard's etc are almost certain to be shovelling, Probably really annoy everyone at Titan too.

Is it really a balance or would it just be adding bullshit from another angle? I really think it'd be difficult to find many people who wouldn't have their own agenda on either side.

Who in wrestling is impartial about Vincent K McMahon?

Edited by Merzbow

In all seriousness, this will be a really, REALLY well produced and researched show. Anyone who has read anything from Bill Simmons, or listened to his podcasts or knows about The Ringer will see that he does make fantastic content, and is thorough in his approach.

It's just that he is a massive cock. If he's just producing, then fine. But if he's in front of the camera, I fear the levels of smugness could mean him and Vince disappear up each others arses.