Audiobooks- One for the Ear Readers

Mr_Danger

I ain’t got time to read dammit! I’m currently listening to Dune and it’s fucking bizarre in so much as that it’s split between one man narrating everything and a small voice cast doing the reading too. So Baron Harkonnen sounds like Christopher Judge one minute then Donald Sumpter the next (but not those actual people).

Anyway, discuss you audio literature here and any and all opinions from you eye readers are welcome, but you should stick to your own god damn thread really.

• Paid Members

Toast On Toast and I Partridge as audiobooks, I consider gifts from God. Not ones for “serious book people” but for fans of the appropriate telly, unbelievable entertainment.

• Paid Members

Im on Brian Blessed's biography "Absolute Pandemonium". It's a good yarn. I can see it not being if you're not a fan of him, but it's still a fascinating story. 

I've also got Stephen Fry reading the complete Sherlock Holmes, some philosophy lectures, and an HG Wells anthology to be cracking on with at some point. 

I gotten through a lot of audiobooks at the start of the year as my ADD brain can struggle to keep focus when I read a physical book. One audiobook that stuck out was David Mitchell's audiobook. It's like a 10 hour Peep Show monologue. Highly recommended to anyone who's a fan of him or his style of comedy in general. 

11 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Im on Brian Blessed's biography "Absolute Pandemonium". It's a good yarn. I can see it not being if you're not a fan of him, but it's still a fascinating story. 

I've got that on the go at the moment, i find it hard to believe a word of it but its a very entertaining listen. 

Doug Stanhope's ones are good, the first two have sections at the end of each chapter where he basically goes "well that's how i remember it, what do you think?" and talks to people that were in the chapter. His latest one focuses on the disaster of a year that he had in 2016 and like the other two it's bleak in parts but laugh out loud funny.

Both Partridge ones are great as they're read in character, like Toast and Count Arthur Strong.

I couldn't get on with the Beastie Boys one, I really liked the sound of it and there's loads of great guest readers but any time Mike D is reading a chapter it's like nails down a  blackboard. Although it did blow my mind when i readlised i'd been saying Adam Yauch's name wrong all these years.

oh, the Mortimer and Whitehouse Gone Fishing one is good too, like Stanhope there are sections where they go "off page" which adds to the experience.

• Paid Members

Yeah, it's like Yowk. He mentions it a couple of times in some of their songs.

@johnnyboyI saw Brian Blessed touring that book in Clitheroe. I sat near the middle, and he pretty much spent the whole night stood close enough that he kept putting his hand on my shoulder, and it was almost like he was only talking to me. He's a heck of an orator. His commentary on the 25th anniversary Flash Gordon DVD is incredible as well. It's like he's never seen the move, even though he's in it. 

Philomena Cunk’s ‘Cunk on Everything’ is really funny. 

Adam Buxton’s Ramble book is great, especially if you like his podcast. The bonus podcast at the end with Joe is lovely. 

James Acasters Classic Scrapes is brilliant as an audiobook. Some narrators sound really boring and monotonous, by James sounds really natural, like he’s just telling you the story rather than reading it from a page. 

• Paid Members

I've been learning Lithuanian through Audible, which has been lovely.
William Gibsons' Alien 3, and other Alien 'full cast' audiobooks like River of Pain and Out of the Shadows are an absolute joy.
I've touched on Sandman before too, which put the shits up me, but was a great listen and one I got completely immersed within.

Some good audiodocs like Best.Movie.Year.Ever by Brian Rafferty, Bruce Campbells' autobiographies, Wild & Crazy Guys by Nick de Semlyen and Caddyshack by Chris Nashawaty are staples in going asleep at night.

DMT - The Spirit Molecule, The Science of Interstellar and The Planets are frustrating, fascinating, intense and confusing in equal measures.

Some wrestling ones like Hardcore History, The Death of WCW and I'm Sorry, I Love You are all decent.

Quitters Never Win by Michael Bisping is a hoot, mainly because it genuinely sounds like it's been read by Alan Partridge, so it essentially becomes comedy.

I'd love an Only Forward by Michael Marshall Smith one. Or anything by that man, for that matter. Or a decent production of House of Leaves by Mark Z.Danielewski. They're the dreams.