Audiobooks- One for the Ear Readers

Mr_Danger

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Not usually one for Sci Fi stuff but after reading a few other books from this author (The Undead series) previously I thought I'd give it a go. 

51GFHFppT7L.jpg.cc9bcbaca8b25c14b19b97afb83bbb81.jpg

Centres around the creation of a sentient AI and the ensuing fallout. The world of AI and any futuristic stuff usually leaves me cold but I was gripped with this and ended up re-listening as soon as I finished it. Narration is great and the story had me by the balls. Free on the Audible catalogue at the moment. 

• 4 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've been listening to Kevin Eldon Will See You Now. It's an unusual one. Some great jokes, but also some near impenetrable bits as well. Heck of a cast. 

Also started o Alan Partridge From The Oasthouse. Brilliant. 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Bit of a nothing post, but audiobooks are just fucking great. I've always wanted to read more, but I just can't sit there for any length of time with a book in my hands without getting fidgety and shortly giving up. Since joining Audible, I'm averaging around 50-70 hours a month of listening time. I absolute love that I can stick a book on and get on with any mundane household task that doesn't require much thought and just happily listen away. It's at the point now where I'm looking forward to a full ironing basket on the weekend! Madness. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, SuperBacon said:

Spotify Premium users now get 15 hours a month of Audiobooks. 

Handy to be honest as I much prefer reading a book, but there are some things I will never buy so it's ideal.

15 hours a month? What a pittance. Why not just give the audio books and music away together? 

• 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

A couple of years ago I saw the Mark Kermode interview with Werner Herzog when he gets shot and says “it’s not significant”. Since then his name has always stuck out to me and if I see him in an interview I’ll watch it and enjoy his answers.

When Pat mentioned in the books thread that Herzog had an autobiography out I went to Audible and downloaded the audiobook. 

I’m so glad I did, it’s Incredible. Im only a few chapters in now but already so many highlights. It goes from poignancy to mysterious to batshit in the same paragraph. I love his voice too, slow and soothing and you find yourself hanging on the end of his words waiting for the next. Check it out. Here was a highlight in chapter 2 -

• Awards Moderator
On 8/16/2022 at 11:12 AM, Chest Rockwell said:

Listening to Small Gods at the minute. First Pratchett one I've picked up. Really enjoying it! Scouse accent for Om is inspired. I don't particularly like the way the footnotes have been executed though. The pause is too long and kinda takes you out of it.

This is one that I've never read the book of, so will be interesting to see how I feel when I listen to one I already know.

Keen to hear your thoughts, @Onyx2

Now Spotify have them I've been able to listen to some Pratchett. And I had to start where it all began for me, with Mort. 

I was ten years old when I read Mort. It is not an exaggeration to say reading it changed my life, from the way I phrase sentences, to imprinting on my philosophy, to having to drag an enormous collection of hardbacks from house to house. 

I can't have read it in over 20 years. Maybe not this century. But I found I could recite acres and acres of it verbatim along with the audiobook. It was a genuinely moving experience to revisit. 

Serafinowicz is of course incredible. The right amount of superiority and distance, while still being vulnerable. Sian Clifford is a delight, full of brilliant voices and each is well characterised. 

Not struck on Bill Nighy but it's a small thing. 

Can't wait to listen to others. Any recommendations for next (to be clear, for the performances, I know the stories!)? 

Edited by Onyx2

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

Audible exclusive 'We Play Games' is free in the Plus Catalogue at the moment. I'm a few hours in and it's pretty great so far. Narrated by Billie Piper and Dan Stevens for the most part. 

Centres around a husband and wife who are con artists. Lots of twists and turns throughout. Great story and narration. 

Thoroughly recommend as a free listen

https://www.audible.co.uk/pd/We-Play-Games-Audiobook/B0CQ5BNFTT

Screenshot_20240122_160436.thumb.jpg.fb3aea31691a3cf78e4273b0dd8ea31b.jpg

Edited by Silky Kisser