Audiobooks- One for the Ear Readers

Mr_Danger

• Moderators

Latest 'read' for me - listened to Bill Bryson - short history of nearly everything.

Perfect for the audio book format. Walls of information. Though engaging in the delivery still hard to absorb. I feel like if I was reading it I'd get hung up rereading bits to understand them properly but instead I just let it wash over me and absorbed maybe like 20% of it, but that's fine as I'll just listen to it again at some point.

Perfect bedtime listening too to just drift of to.

Now listening to Bad Blood, the book about the Theranos scandal. It's an interesting topic and the writing is very light. The writing is also a bit odd though where totally irrelevant details just gets thrown in randomly at times. The guy reading it doesn't have the best delivery either. But in all I'm enjoying it anyway because the subject matter is interesting enough to carry it.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Latest 'read' for me - listened to Bill Bryson - short history of nearly everything.

Perfect for the audio book format. Walls of information. Though engaging in the delivery still hard to absorb. I feel like if I was reading it I'd get hung up rereading bits to understand them properly but instead I just let it wash over me and absorbed maybe like 20% of it, but that's fine as I'll just listen to it again at some point.

Perfect bedtime listening too to just drift of to.

I remember reading this about 20 years ago. Every chapter would be the same. I'd start off fascinated initially, then have to re-read bits to keep up, then eventually coast to the end of the chapter with barely any comprehension. I might give it another go to see if I've got any smarter in that time. 

• 1 month later...

Just finished Blood, Sweat and Pixels by Jason Schreier. Really enjoyed listening to this, Schreier is an excellent games journalist and in this book he tells the story of a load of games being developed in the last 15 years or so. A bit like a sleazeless Easy Riders and Raging Bulls.  Shines a ton of light on game development and some of the dev’s stories are really interesting. The Stardew Valley guy in particular.

• Moderators

I listened to As You Wish, which is Cary Elwes's memoirs of the making of The Princess Bride. It's fun and pretty short, and is really made by the fact that he got a lot of the people involved in the film in on the reading.

After that I got the book of the Princess Bride, as read by Rob Reiner. He has a nice voice and obviously has a lot of lives for the story but tbh isn't the best narrator. Still good though

Currently listening to Dracula. The book started really strong and then suddenly took a turn for the very boring with the diaries of Lucy and Mina. I hope it picks up again.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Paid Members

Jumped on the '3 months for half price offer' and have been loving Audible ever since. Went through Alien and Ghostbusters 1 & 2 proper quick. Sacked off Halloween as It didn't grab me like the others and I couldn't get on with the narrator. 

Despite the genre being massively played out I've really been enjoying R R Haywoods 'The Undead'. There's like 20 books and the vast majority of them seem to be free but I guess that's just a clever tactic to entice me to pay for the later ones once I'm in deep. 

Under The Dome- Stephen King

Good King. Big mysterious semi permeable indestructible dome encases small American town. The whole place turns to shit after less than a week but thats kind of the point.

Weird sex watch-

Spoiler

A gang rape and some necrophilia, standard King.

In the Distance- Hernan Diaz

Ginormous Swedish kid gets separated from his older brother on the trip to America. Spends his time walking around pioneer age America looking for him. A cross between seminal classics An American Tale and Fievel Goes West. I really enjoyed the adventure aspect to this but as the story goes on it turns in to a character study that I was a bit less hot on. Still excellent.

Dead Man’s Walk
I started this not realising it was a prequel in their series to Lonesome Dove but I’ve kept with it and the fact that it’s meant to be one of the weaker entries and I still find it very good has me breezing through it. Helped in large part to Will Patton doing the read. Who doesn’t want to listen Will Patton say cow boy stuff?

• Moderators

Listening to Small Gods at the minute. First Pratchett one I've picked up. Really enjoying it! Scouse accent for Om is inspired. I don't particularly like the way the footnotes have been executed though. The pause is too long and kinda takes you out of it.

This is one that I've never read the book of, so will be interesting to see how I feel when I listen to one I already know.

Keen to hear your thoughts, @Onyx2