Audiobooks- One for the Ear Readers

Mr_Danger

The Long Walk. Stephen King proves how Cormac McCarthy he can be but falls short by some distance. This works far better as a much shorter story for me. The kids all talk and act like much older fellas, even by King standards. It’s mad to think this was written under a pseudonym when it’s written in the same language as all his other writing and has all the hallmarks of a Stephen King story. This one is for trading in.

The Sisters Brothers. Really enjoying it so far, the image of John C. Reilly and Joaquin Phoenix as the titular brothers helps and the it reminds me of the whacky side missions of Red Dead Redemption 2 a lot. Really looking forward to watching this film now.

• Paid Members

Having a quick glance through the £3 Black Friday sale and they've got Neil Gaiman/Terry Pratchett's Good Omens read by Martin Jarvis (who I remember best as the narrator of Huxley Pig on Children's ITV). There's also Stephen Fry's America, which I think is the companion book to his series from a few days back, although I'd imagine there may be some pictures involved in the book. I was tempted by a book about dream analysis by Sigmund Freud and Thus Spoke Zarathustra by Nietzsche, but resisted. 

EDIT: I'm listening to the audio drama of William Gibson's original Alien 3 concept. It's really good. The beginning is a brief recap of the ending of Aliens, then it gets into it proper. Lance Henriksen and Michael Biehn reprise their roles as Bishop and Hicks respectively. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I've been really enjoying Stephen Fry's Mythos series. I'm almost at the end of the first one, which deals with the Gods etc. The second one is about the age of heroes, and the third one is Troy. I'm looking forward to them. 

• 4 weeks later...

If you’ve got Apple Books, there’s a version of HG Wells’ The Time Machine narrated by Kelsey Grammer that’s available for free. Just search his name and it should pop up.

Audible are trying to get me to sign up again with a 30 Days/One Audiobook  Free offer. Might get it and the cancel until they send another offer

• Paid Members

There's been a £3 sale on Audible for the past week. I picked up Martin Jarvis reading Lord Of The Flies. 

I’m In a quandary; I grabbed the huge Dune, all singing and dancing audiobook this weekend, twenty odd hours of the stuff. I’ve somehow never seen Dune, although it’s my sort of thing, so I was looking forward to this. I’m an hour or so in, and it’s dull, very dull. I’m not sure whether to persevere, or move on. Any fans about? 

2 minutes ago, ThumpSquids said:

I’m In a quandary; I grabbed the huge Dune, all singing and dancing audiobook this weekend, twenty odd hours of the stuff. I’ve somehow never seen Dune, although it’s my sort of thing, so I was looking forward to this. I’m an hour or so in, and it’s dull, very dull. I’m not sure whether to persevere, or move on. Any fans about? 

It does pick up  and is generally very good I think but it’s very detailed and can be a bit of a slog in parts. I’m glad I persevered but I won’t be rushing back to it. The audiobook switches from having people voice certain characters to having the main narrator voice them too which was a bit shit.

• 2 months later...
  • Paid Members

I'm listening to the end of Heroes by Stephen Fry, and there's a chapter discussing his hearing about the Benoit murder suicide and how it reminded him of Heracles' murder of Megaera, and tying in Greek mythical heroes with wrestlers. Andre gets a mention as well. Fascinating listen. Might go for something of a pallet cleanser before I listen to his one about the Trojan War. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Moderators

I've never really got on that well with audio books, but I'm getting my eyes lasered today so I've signed up for the free trial with audible as I'll need to rest my eyes a bit during recovery.

So in going to give them another go. What are some that are read well? No biographies unless they're comedians, but other than that don't mind whether it's fact or fiction as long as the topic is interesting (no sports please).

One of my big problems with them is I never like the narrator's voice so maybe one that's read by a familiar good voice?

• Paid Members
28 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

I've never really got on that well with audio books, but I'm getting my eyes lasered today so I've signed up for the free trial with audible as I'll need to rest my eyes a bit during recovery.

So in going to give them another go. What are some that are read well? No biographies unless they're comedians, but other than that don't mind whether it's fact or fiction as long as the topic is interesting (no sports please).

One of my big problems with them is I never like the narrator's voice so maybe one that's read by a familiar good voice?

I really enjoyed Stephen Fry's Mythos trilogy. I'm currently listening to Mark Radcliffe reading his book Crossroads, about pivotal moments in music history. There's a huge collection of Sherlock Holmes, and one of George Orwell read by Fry as well. I also have an HG Wells one with such narrators as David Tennant on it. Audible has plenty of options, and there are some decent free podcasts and things on there as well.

• Moderators
47 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

Neil Gaiman’s Sandman is a fantastic production if your in to that sort of thing. It’s the best thing I’ve heard from there in terms of story and production.

Seems more like it's a radio play rather than a book. Looks right up my street. Sold! The next search I was going to do was to see what neil gaiman they had anyway...

For good voices to listen to, James McAvoy ticks that box for me. If you say you've not got on with audio books, have you tried seeing if there's any radio plays you might like? Sticking with McAvoy, he's excellent in the BBC's 2013 radio adaption of Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, and the cast is pretty great:

Character Actor
Richard Mayhew James McAvoy
Lady Door Natalie Dormer
The Marquis de Carabas David Harewood
Hunter Sophie Okonedo
The Angel Islington Benedict Cumberbatch
Mr. Croup Anthony Head
Mr. Vandemar David Schofield
Old Bailey Bernard Cribbins
Lamia Lucy Cohu
The Abbott George Harris
The Earl Sir Christopher Lee
Jessica Romola Garai
Figgis/The Fop With No Name Neil Gaiman
Tooley Andrew Sachs
Fuliginous/Ruislip/Blackfriar Don Gilet
Sable/Sump/Clarence/Homeless man Abdul Salis
Gary/Second Guard Paul Chequer
Anaesthesia/Female Tenant/Match Girl Yasmin Paige
Lord Ratspeaker Johnny Vegas
Varney/Homeless man/Letting Agent/First Guard Stephen Marcus
Sylvia/Old woman/Dream Hawker/Mother... Karen Archer
Lord Portico/Stockton Jon Glover
Iliaster/Halvard Paul Stonehouse
Dagvard/Dunnikin/Hammersmith Ben Crowe
The Herald Robert Blythe (actor)
Lear David Tughan
Underground Announcer/Footman Patrick Brennan
Little Girl Clodagh Casey

17 minutes ago, Chest Rockwell said:

Seems more like it's a radio play rather than a book. Looks right up my street. Sold! The next search I was going to do was to see what neil gaiman they had anyway...

All the Gaiman stuff has really good production on there, most probably because of his deal with them. He’s an excellent narrator too on the stuff he does himself. His reading of his Norse Mythology is excellent.

• 2 weeks later...