Audiobooks- One for the Ear Readers

Mr_Danger

From the Oasthouse is more great Partridge  audio output from Coogan and co. It shouldn’t be surprising that a character born on radio should shine so brightly on Audible but he gets so many of his little nuances over and it definitely had me looking like a twat chuckling away to myself whilst doing my rounds. Can see him churning this out yearly if he wants.

About halfway through Neil Gaiman's’ The Graveyard Book and it’s ace. Surprised It hasn’t been made in to Burtonesque animated  film or series. 

• Paid Members

I got a really good horror bundle with a credit this month. Its got Dr Jeckyll & Mr Hyde, Frankenstein, and Dracula. Richard Armitage reads Dr Jeckyll, and it's really good. He has a great voice. I love that book anyway because it's so cleverly written. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, waters44 said:

Are the Sherlock Holmes books any good? There is a bumper pack on Audible (71hrs!) that i'm tempted with (to build content more than any other reason as I am already almost out of books and too tight to pay for an additional credit!)

They can be, and Stephen Fry is a heck of a narrator. I've got that one, and thinking of moving onto it when I've finished the horror thing I'm listening to I picked up a really interesting HG Wells one as well. There are some that come as accompaniments for Kindle purchases as well. I picked up Dante's Divine Comedy for a couple of quid the other day, and it gave me an Audible add-on for another couple of quid. It's offering me a few more from my kindle library as well, some for some free public domain ebooks they have on there. 

Just finished listening to Salem’s Lot for the first time. It’s pretty much the archetypal Stephen King really. Starts off great, lovely scene setting and character building then it gets a bit shit as it all unravels. Considering it’s his Dracula story it feels quite reserved for him I thought there’d be some wild sex stuff and weirder shit. I’m guessing he hadn’t hit the acid by this point.

For anyone that doesn't have it - Doug Stanhope's Digging Up Mother is in the audible daily sale thing today, it's one of those books that really benefits from being an audio book, every chapter has bits at the end with Stanhope talking to people that are mentioned in the chapter and getting their take on what he wrote, and as he's drinking throughout certain sections are read by other people, which might sound like a shambles but really adds to the listening experience

• Paid Members

I picked up Alan Moore's Jerusalem for £2 in the daily deals the other day. It's 60 hours, and knowing Alan Moore's writing it'll probably turn into quite a slog in places... 

Same. I got that and the Doug Stanhope one mentioned as well as Stephen King’s The Institute. I’m hoping that if Jerusalem turns into a slog I’ll be able to trade it for credit and not the £2 I paid although that may be one loophole too far for my returns abuse.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/17/2020 at 7:35 PM, Harry Wiseau said:

For anyone that doesn't have it - Doug Stanhope's Digging Up Mother is in the audible daily sale thing today, it's one of those books that really benefits from being an audio book, every chapter has bits at the end with Stanhope talking to people that are mentioned in the chapter and getting their take on what he wrote, and as he's drinking throughout certain sections are read by other people, which might sound like a shambles but really adds to the listening experience

I’ve listened to most of this today. Stanhope is an incredibly entertaining piece of shit and I feel grubby just from listening to his stories.

I listened to The Institute last week and for the most part I really enjoyed it. It feels a lot like Stephen King painting by numbers and whilst it’s not up there with his best work it’s some way off a lot of his shite he churns out. It helps that my favourite King tropes are the kids on awful adventures and his small towns. I’d speculate on who will play who in the eventual dramatisation but I can’t see past the cast of Stranger Things.

15 minutes ago, Mr_Danger said:

I listened to The Institute last week and for the most part I really enjoyed it. It feels a lot like Stephen King painting by numbers and whilst it’s not up there with his best work it’s some way off a lot of his shite he churns out. It helps that my favourite King tropes are the kids on awful adventures and his small towns. I’d speculate on who will play who in the eventual dramatisation but I can’t see past the cast of Stranger Things.

While I enjoyed The Institute, it did feel like he finished watching Stranger Things right before he started writing this book. He couldn’t be anymore blatant about it. I also wonder if he’d made a bet with someone about how many references to his hatred of Trump he could slip into the book. 

29 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

While I enjoyed The Institute, it did feel like he finished watching Stranger Things right before he started writing this book. He couldn’t be anymore blatant about it. I also wonder if he’d made a bet with someone about how many references to his hatred of Trump he could slip into the book. 

In fairness that’s kind of like stealing from himself.