Audiobooks- One for the Ear Readers

Mr_Danger

• Paid Members

I've signed up too and immediately spent a credit on the Brian Blessed autobiography! 

For some reason I thought the podcasts were a free bonus to audible but looks like you need a credit for them as well, so they've already got another credit out of me for Oast House! At this point in my life half my payslip should just go straight to Jeff Bezos

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Thunderplex said:

I've never been arsed with audiobooks, but with temptations like Toast, Brian Blessed and Alan Partridge, I'm signing up!  Cheers guys.

“Blunt, to the point of rudeness” is a line from Toast on Toast that will stay with you.

2 hours ago, wordsfromlee said:

Philomena Cunk’s ‘Cunk on Everything’ is really funny. 

I really loved Cunk On Britain so that sounds a winner.

44 minutes ago, wordsfromlee said:

House of Leaves would be hard to do as an audiobook. 

The Twin Peaks books had a little bit of an issue, a fair few clues and tidbits are in the images but yeah not as much of a problem as that'd be.

I've been listening to Cosey Fanni Tutti's autobiography and while she's not narrating it they've got a northern woman who completely sounds the part, she's amazing.

it's a shame this topic was only started today, until a few days ago they were having a sale with a load of £3.50 books every day, including Toast, Doug Stanhope's Digging Up Mother, an M R James Ghost Stories one narrated by Jacobi, some right corkers. but now it's just to one deal a day. the curse of the UKFF strikes again!

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, air_raid said:

“Blunt, to the point of rudeness” is a line from Toast on Toast that will stay with you.

I really loved Cunk On Britain so that sounds a winner.

Half an hour in, and I can’t remember the last time I laughed so much.  Frigging genius.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, johnnyboy said:

That one's not really a podcast.  It is to podcasts as "Knowing Me Knowing You" is to talkshows.  The Audible Original podcasts are included with an active subscription.

There's a really good Goodies original podcast. John Culshaw and Joanna Lumley turn up in it as well. 

• Paid Members
34 minutes ago, Thunderplex said:

Half an hour in, and I can’t remember the last time I laughed so much.  Frigging genius.

That was my experience. Sling your  hook, and fuck off home.

There are some really good Audible original podcasts.

The Kurupt FM podcast is well worth it and just as hilarious as the tv show. 

The Special Relationship is another great one from sketch comedy duo, The Pin. Their Radio 4 sketch show is brilliant, but this is a mockumentary about them trying to break America. Highly recommended if you like Flight of The Conchords as it’s very much in the same kind of vein. 

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, the diner story in The Sandman is one of the grimmest things I’ve ever heard. The Calliope one gives it a run for it’s money.

I, Partridge is absolutely essential. It’s right up there with the best of his output I think. Definitely a good example of how an Audiobook experience can differ to og reading. 

Edited by Mr_Danger

On 9/22/2020 at 9:27 PM, air_raid said:

Toast On Toast and I Partridge as audiobooks, I consider gifts from God. Not ones for “serious book people” but for fans of the appropriate telly, unbelievable entertainment.

Toyah Willcox, Barry McGuigan, Christopher Reeve, Steve Cram, Tessa Sanderson, Sarah Hardcastle, John Cleese, Nicholas Lyndhurst, Dame Kiri Te Kanawa, Duncan Goodhew, Sharon McPeake, Debbie Flintoff, Cliff Richard, Emlyn Hughes, Jenny Agutter, Kevin Kline, Jackie Stewart, Peter Blake, Walter Payton, Virginia Leng, Sunil Gavaskar, Anthony Andrews, Tom Jones, Sheena Easton, Judy Simpson, Anneka Rice, Fiona Fullerton, Gary Lineker, George Lazenby, Michael Palin, Nigel Mansell, John Travolta, Griff Rhys Jones, Margot Kidder, Steve Podborski, Tamara McKinney, Meat Loaf, Pamela Stephenson, Brian Cooper, Mel Smith, Jane Seymour, Chris de Burgh, Viv Richards, Gail Greenough, Michael Brandon, Ben Cross and Steve Cauthen

All took part in the show!

Seriously, Toast on Toast is the greatest audio book of all time. I played it on a 3 hours car journey for work and my workmate listened to it like it was a straight up biography, about an hour in he turned to me and said "Is this a wind-up?". 

I finished Dune. It was a wild ride, full of excellent world building and lore. Unfortunately Paul Atreides not only has a terrible name for a space wizard but he’s so dull and just happens to be the best at everything. The writing hasn’t aged particularly well either. 

It’s definitely built my anticipation in seeing what Villeneuve will do with it though.