Paid Members mim731 Posted yesterday at 04:08 PM Paid Members Posted yesterday at 04:08 PM 4 hours ago, SuperBacon said: The job market is an absolute shit show at the moment. I've honestly never seen anything like it. I've been between jobs since March, and it's horrible out there. Just a proper bloodbath and so much competition for every role in a way I've never seen before. Good luck to everyone hunting, it's just awful currently. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted yesterday at 04:31 PM Members Posted yesterday at 04:31 PM 12 minutes ago, mim731 said: I've honestly never seen anything like it. I've been between jobs since March, and it's horrible out there. Just a proper bloodbath and so much competition for every role in a way I've never seen before. Good luck to everyone hunting, it's just awful currently. Honestly working within employability and actively working with employers to identify their needs, whether thats staff, training, apprenticeships for the last 5 years or so, I have absolutely no idea what employers are looking for the majority of the time. I don't even think they know! I'm not smart enough in terms of economics and all that, but I'm convinced* that the advertising of jobs or budget increases for more staff (which don't actually exist) is some tax loophole everyone is doing. Advertise job; can't find anyone "suitable"; absorb that budget saving into team again; find extra budget; advertise job; rinse and fucking repeat. And they're all so fucking stupid. Without doxing, my organisation made a load of redundancies around this time last year (other departments) and all those people got some absolutely huge packages, and now they're all being taken back on! 😆 (you can't rejoin within a year) Might as well have kept them and got another year out of them. The other thing is the amount of effort job applications take these days. I fucked one off the other day after it wanted 5000 words (5000!!!) for the application. Someone I know had 4 interviews for the Royal Mail! Something needs to change, from the DWP, to employability programmes to employers to applications to interviews. @burnham you massive pussy, make me a cabinet minister and I'd sort this all out. *Living near Matt Le Tissier for too long is affecting me. Quote
Tim Healys Chutney Spoon Posted yesterday at 05:02 PM Posted yesterday at 05:02 PM To be honest, it wont be getting any better now AI and automation is taking over more and more roles Quote
Paid Members gmoney Posted yesterday at 05:04 PM Paid Members Posted yesterday at 05:04 PM Huh, that's an interesting take. Quote
Paid Members hallicks Posted yesterday at 05:18 PM Paid Members Posted yesterday at 05:18 PM I’m praying my role survives the current AI mania into the bubble bursting, but once that happens, we’re into the economic downturn to end all downturns, so getting through that intact seems even less likely. Everything feels incredibly bleak at the moment, I wish all ‘keffer jobseekers the best. Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted yesterday at 08:46 PM Paid Members Posted yesterday at 08:46 PM 4 hours ago, SuperBacon said: The other thing is the amount of effort job applications take these days. I fucked one off the other day after it wanted 5000 words (5000!!!) for the application. Someone I know had 4 interviews for the Royal Mail! Something needs to change, from the DWP, to employability programmes to employers to applications to interviews. @burnham you massive pussy, make me a cabinet minister and I'd sort this all out. I went for a pint with a mate the other day and he was telling me about an interview he'd gone for. The role was for a behaviour specialist in a school, something he's been doing for about 10 years now. He said the interview process is getting more and more ridiculous each time. This time it consisted of; - Him leading a 15-minute assembly to all of Year 10 about 'respect' - an unseen data task (40 minutes) - a 'learner panel' - I'm not sure what this is (20 minutes) - A safeguarding test (20 minutes) - a 10 minute presentation on how he would 'lead behaviour' across the school Then a 45 minute interview to finish off. And this is only stage 1! I know we want our educators to be thoroughly assessed before they get a job but christ that's a long process. Quote
deathrey Posted yesterday at 09:06 PM Posted yesterday at 09:06 PM A learner panel is where you are interviewed by students. When I interviewed for my last job in a school (2017) it was fairly similar minus the assembly to Year 10. Expecting an interviewee to do that is absolutely wild. Quote
CTXRussomark Posted yesterday at 09:26 PM Posted yesterday at 09:26 PM He had to lead an assembly of actual students before even having the job? Surely that's all kinds of inappropriate? And how does that even work - the students have to sit through presentations from everyone being interviewed? Bizarre. Quote
davertfnewman Posted yesterday at 09:32 PM Posted yesterday at 09:32 PM I've seen candidates going for vice principal roles have to deliver assemblies (BADLY) to students. Obviously a group of staff present to monitor behaviour. One guy tried to an inspirational speech about Colonel Sanders and it was painful. The presentations would be to staff, though. Quote
deathrey Posted yesterday at 09:33 PM Posted yesterday at 09:33 PM (edited) Exactly, how did they all prep for it?! Were Year 10 out of lessons all day?! That's absolute wildness for a Year 10 class. I can not imagine how that got through safeguarding/no platform policies. The SLT of that school were really throwing balls to the wind Edit: my comment was meant to follow on from @CTXRussomark Edited yesterday at 09:34 PM by deathrey Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.