A thread in which for Arsenal and Spurs fans to have sexual tension and poor banter 20/21.

PowerButchi

Ruud Gullit as a manager often feels like a fever dream. This wondeful player suddenly managed Chelsea and Newcastle. I don't know why it always seems weird to me but it does!

On football books, I'm reading ALL PLAYED OUT again at the moment about the 1990 World Cup. Superb book and its funny seeing the seeds of where we are now starting to take place. Still can't believe Robson took Mark Wright over Tony Adams!

Chelsea's management from 1993/94 up to 2000 was pretty amazing.

Glenn Hoddle, Ruud Gullit and Gianluca Vialli, all as player managers too. Amazing to see young managers (I know Glenn was at Swindon before) given a chance in the Premier League as their first job. 

Someone mentioned Lombardo about being one of the youngest managers, I'm sure he was a player/manager too. You don't really see player/managers at all nowadays, even in non-league you have vastly experienced managers, or younger guys that could still play but just focus on managing. 

2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

On football books, I'm reading ALL PLAYED OUT again at the moment about the 1990 World Cup. Superb book and its funny seeing the seeds of where we are now starting to take place.

Probably my favourite football book of all time. It's just so incredibly evocative. He describes it so well, you feel like you're there (almost certainly helped by how much I've seen of that tournament)

7 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Still can't believe Robson took Mark Wright over Tony Adams!

I can. Mark Wright was a much better player than Tony Adams (no slight on Adams who was still very good) but Robson was ultimately vindicated in the decision by how well Wright played in the new system.

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

I can. Mark Wright was a much better player than Tony Adams (no slight on Adams who was still very good) but Robson was ultimately vindicated in the decision by how well Wright played in the new system.

Good point. I suppose my ire was more for Gary Stevens being included. I always disliked him and I have no idea why.

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, stewdogg said:

You don't really see player/managers at all nowadays

The only recent example I can think of is Rooney at Derby, but that was only for a short while. He took over from Cocu as player manager, and then not too long ago quietly retired from playing.

25 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Good point. I suppose my ire was more for Gary Stevens being included. I always disliked him and I have no idea why.

Which one? :)

7 minutes ago, PunkStep said:

The only recent example I can think of is Rooney at Derby, but that was only for a short while. He took over from Cocu as player manager, and then not too long ago quietly retired from playing.

Kompany as well recently, although don't think it went well and he gave up the coaching side to concentrate on the football, but is now full time manager having stopped playing.

Of course the pinnacle is God at Swindon, still being 1000000x times better than everyone he had in his squad.

This is one of my favourite clips ever, as you know he is calling them all donkeys in his head.

"Don't mind that". You bloody liar Glenn.

Edited by SuperBacon