General Pinochet's All New Domestic Football 20/21. Arsenal and Spurs free!!!

PowerButchi

On 8/28/2020 at 11:20 AM, garynysmon said:

Good wins for TNS and Bala in the Europa League last night. Plus, Coleraine from the north of Ireland who beat Maribor.

Bala vs AC Milan in the next round please!

Screenshot 2020-08-28 at 11.19.15.png

North of Ireland? Yeah and TNS are from West of England 

The Messi transfer situation looks like it could potentially be an unsightly, drawn-out affair. Barca wanting half a billion plus, Messi's side maintaining he can leave for 'free' at the end of the season. They can't even agree on when the season ended (June or August). Not sure anyone's gonna come out of it looking particularly good and I've probably had enough of it already. So I'll shut the fuck up.

What do people think about Everton signing James Rodriguez then (Telegraph saying its a done deal as of last night)? Its basically the player-equivalent of hiring Carlo Ancelotti as Everton manager in 2020. The pros and cons as I see it are:

Pros: talented player, apparently cut-price, has worked with Ancelotti before, something to prove, statement signing (i.e. may keep Richarlison a year longer), one of the most famous sportspeople on the planet.

Cons: 29 years old, will he be motivated, possibly the Colombian Theo Walcott, wages presumably sky-high.

I think taking him while he's available is a no-brainer as hiring Ancelotti has given us a brief grace period to make some Galacticos signings which might not even sustain into his second window once the Ancelotti-at-Everton novelty has worn off. If he can stay injury free he's a big upgrade on Sigurdsson in the number 10 role which tends to be pivotal to Ancelotti's favoured diamond formation. The received wisdom about him is that he hasn't done anything since the 2014 World Cup, but a look at his Wikipedia shows he's scored a good number of goals for a midfield when he has been given games (though he was never able to hold down a starting role at either Real or Bayern for long).

All that said, it could go really, really badly if his injury woes continue and he becomes an expensive sicknote. And this is Everton we're talking about.

I think Everton have become one of the shittest clubs in the league at buying players. They should immediately stop buying expensive big clubs failures and start throwing big money at agents to get the best young players in Europe because I bet the next big thing from Anderlecht or Ajax would run through brick walls to play for Ancelotti whilst players like Hamez are only going in one direction. 

That being said I won’t be shocked if he does alright at Everton because if he’s going to perform it will be at a club that builds the team around him, like a much better much more handsome Charlie Adam.

• Paid Members

Can't see Rodriguez being anything but a failure. Might crack in the odd 25 yarder and that's it. On paper, a great coup for Everton but Everton fans should ask why he's there if he's so good, which he hasn't been for years.

• Paid Members

I have learned over my many years Everton fandom to go into every season - and I'd say, justifiably so - with the mindset of "Hope for the best. Expect nothing but the worst." And I genuinely wouldn't be opposed to someone translating that to Latin and making it our new motto/slogan. 

I'd be just happy with anyone who plays like they actually give a bollocks about that shirt. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Scott Malbranque said:

I have learned over my many years Everton fandom to go into every season - and I'd say, justifiably so - with the mindset of "Hope for the best. Expect nothing but the worst." And I genuinely wouldn't be opposed to someone translating that to Latin and making it our new motto/slogan. 

To be fair, the second half of that, you just need to change the current slogan to "Nil Satis Nisi Pessimum" to get something not far from it.

"Optimum sperate. Nil Nisi Pessimum Expectate" would be the nearest I could get. Haven't studied Latin in ages though.