The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

I loved all 4 days of play of that test. It had everything that made me fall in love with the game in the first place. Interesting conditions and pitch, making it a proper battle between bat and ball. An opener showing grit, application and concentration to grind out a slow hundred. An all rounder taking apart the bowling attack in tricky conditions an two pace attacks that had the ball consistently swinging and seaming. Lovely stuff!

Also, it just showed that you don't have to go out and play mega attacking to get the result. The slow, long first innings was perfectly played, and wore out the Windies' bowlers perfectly. Gabriel was moving like the fucking Tin Man for The Wizard of Oz on day 3, never mind the last day!

• Paid Members
11 hours ago, Cod Eye said:

I really don't get that triple threat format. All you hear from the likes of the ECB is that they wanted to simply the game for newer audiences, which is why someone came up with the "100" format. 

The triple threat rules confused the shit out of me, and I've watched all forms of the sport, as well as played it for over 30 years.

There is only one acceptable cricket gimmick format: https://that1980ssportsblog.blogspot.com/2019/10/cricket-silk-cut-challenge-all-rounders.html

• Paid Members

30 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

My mum just sent me this text.

"That Cornwall is a big guy"

He's already one of my favourite players! He bowls like he is just chucking a ball for his dog to chase. Absolutely no fucks given!    

• Paid Members

The way to get the best out of Broad seems to be leave him out of the 1st Test of a series. He was dynamite today. Over the end of the Windies 1st innings and the start of the 2nd he took 6-22.

Expect no play tomorrow due to rain then a frantic attempt to get the other 8 wickets on Tuesday. 

• Moderators

Just number 3 to 8 in the order from being the best test team in the world (in English conditions) 

Unfortunately Buttler had a knock so that has barnacled him forever again in the side. 

Broad was amazing this series though. Took the YJB attitude to being dropped.  Was unplayable, the one for his 500th

• Moderators

Wasim Akram and Nassar Hussain ripping the piss out of Athers as he wasn't there after the Pakistan documentary during tea was the days highlight. 

They went through every category, from best player to decent opener to home commentator to overseas commentator to everything and ripped him to shreds and said he wouldn't have been on the shortlist for any saying openly "we hope you're watching" and Wasim explaining why he always had to give him bouncers as they're mates. 

Athers would have absolutely loved it. I can't imagine a more fun sport to work in the booth in. You get Roy Keane being a miserable prick in football, Eddie Butler being too clever for his own good in Rugby, and Sky just has someone's best two mates gently ribbing him as he wasn't there at the time. It was hilarious. 

Otherwise. Not much happened. Draw all over it. 

Bit of a stop/start day for cricket. Like Butch, I can see this going into a draw unless there's a huge batting collapse somewhere. Given the two sides, that is entirely possible. Hopefully the weather picks up and Day 2 gets a full allocation of overs in.

I did see one stat from Cricinfo which caught my eye. Shan Masood is the first overseas opener to last more than 100 balls in the first innings of an English Test in 4 years. Think of who we've had since then. India, South Africa, Australia...none of their openers could last 100 balls if batting first.  

Side note, it was bloody lovely watching some county cricket last weekend. Admittedly, its through YouTube but better than nothing. Well done to the counties for realising that people still want to watch the games. They've gone for multi-camera set ups, so not just limited to behind the bowler's arm at either end.

Proper test cricket this morning. Pakistan are a level up from the Windies.

Butler has done well out there and if he gets a good score could have solidified his place in the side. This is the exact situation he's in the side for, so time for him to deliver a match winning performance instead of dribbling out for 30 odd. Ollie Pope was looking solid until he got worked over beautifully from Naseem. Great contest so far!