The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

For all Tim Paine's talk of setting a better example as Australian skipper it was lovely to see him get fined 15% of his match fee for sledging and swearing at the umpire. Some decidedly ordinary keeping by Paine really brought out his snarky side. 

He's shit, isn't he. He got lumbered with the captaincy after the ball tampering and now they're stuck with him even though he's not good enough as a batsman or a keeper. He's like a new Mike Brearley except not a particularly good captain either.

• Paid Members

Caught up with this morning play. Wood and particularly Broad really impressed me, Sri Lanka batted terribly.

I was pleased with the no nonsense accumulation by Root and Bairstow. Hopefully continue on in that manner and they don't convince themselves they need to accelerate.

• Paid Members

Sri Lanka batted like it was a one day game, some awful shots. Bess bowled a load of old toss and picked up fivefer. England have done well to consolidate after losing the early wickets. If they bat well tomorrow they can put Sri Lanka out of the game. 

• Paid Members

That's the worst test match batting I've seen since this.

Bit puzzled by the commentary though. It looks as though they had a commentary team at the ground yet Sky decided to go with two sitting at home in Sri Lanka, David Lloyd in Manchester in-between putting his bins out, and three more in the Sky studio. What was that about?

• Paid Members

Anyone been following Australia vs India? What an amazing series. Can't believe India won that final match considering all the players they were missing, they have to be regarded as the best test team in the world right now. They didn't need to go for a win in that match as a draw would have been a great result but they still went for it. Can't help but think England are getting twatted when they play them next.

• Paid Members

I listened to most of the final day of the 4th Test overnight. It was great to here the Aussies go from "We are drawing this at the very worst" to "This is going to be a draw" to losing with 3 overs to go. It was incredible batting by the Indians. As you say Dev, England are getting twatted. 

After India got bowled out for 36 in the 1st test, and then Kholi went home the Aussies must have thought they were winning the whole series 4-0. To see them lose 2-1 was wonderful. 

• Paid Members

I woke up this morning and they needed 49 or something with 7 overs left and that was surprising enough. When I came back from dropping my daughter at her lift, they were down to 3. They really are some team and that strength in depth is something else.

Traditionally you expect India to have great spinners and win all the time at home. Now they're going to Australia with talented seam bowlers and missing even better seamers and winning series. Scary how good they could possibly get.

• Paid Members

Considering the amount of players they had missing it was remarkable. One thing that T20 has brought to Test cricket is that bowlers have to keep working on their game. In the past fast bowlers in India have had little encouragement in learning to bowl in their conditions. Now if you can get chance to play in the IPL there is a lot of incentive to learn. 

India are probably going to be top of the Test rankings for a while. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

India are probably going to be top of the Test rankings for a while. 

Mind you, look at New Zealand right now. They're a decent spinner short of being almost the complete team. A world test championship final between them would be a great match.

• Paid Members

This is one of my favourite ever knocks. This test's best known for Goochie getting 333 and 123 but this was lovely from Azharuddin before Eddie Hemmings bowled him with the only one he turned in his career.

• Paid Members

Azhar was a destructive batsman when he wanted to be. Poor old Gooch having to bowl after getting 333 because Fraser, Malcolm, Lewis, and Hemmings were all serving up pies must have been a challenge. 

That ball from Hemmings was even more remarkable because it looked like he turned it back up the hill. 

England bowlers turning 1 ball in their careers against Indian batsmen is a thing though. 

I was there that day. Tendulkar was on the verge of going past Bradman for most Test centuries.