The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

On 8/8/2020 at 10:14 PM, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

I've spoken with a couple of people who have come across Curran around the county circuit. Both of them said he is one of the most unlikeable humans to have ever walked the earth. Just a really arrogant prick. They should definitely unleash him on Pakistan, there will be a fight. 

If Stokes is fit to bowl I'd leave out Anderson and get Zak Crawley back in. I'd leave Bess out for Leach. Bess has been very average with the ball this summer. 

Can confirm that both Curran's are on the Djokovic scale of arrogance. Both complete wankers.

Anderson has to miss out doesn't he? As alluded to by the post above. His average of 44 this summer is probably skewed slightly as we didn't play any tests in the early part of the summer on some proper green seamers where he does serious damage.

I'd pick Wood in front of him for the next test, plus whichever batter gets the nod at 4. Maybe they'll put Crawley at 3 so Root can go 4.

Edited by Max Power

• Paid Members

There is some rubbish local cricket about Max, even more than usual. I umpired a game where the team batting first were all out 32 a couple of weeks ago. Not particularly good bowling just really bad batting. Highlight of the batting was the number 3 who was bowled leaving a ball that pitched middle and hit middle. Walked off claiming it pitched outside off and jagged back. 

• Paid Members
9 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

There is some rubbish local cricket about Max, even more than usual. I umpired a game where the team batting first were all out 32 a couple of weeks ago. Not particularly good bowling just really bad batting. Highlight of the batting was the number 3 who was bowled leaving a ball that pitched middle and hit middle. Walked off claiming it pitched outside off and jagged back. 

To be fair back when I was playing regardless of method of delivery I would always grumble about it keeping low. Even if it was a long hop.

• Paid Members

Just been reading Nasser Hussain's take on the bad light issue with first class cricket. He makes a good point too. Why do we only try to make up time lost for weather/bad light at the end of a days play, when the light is deteriorating? Why not start an hour earlier(when it's not pissing it down) instead? It doesn't make sense.

One change to the game the powers that be have made that do like, is the TV umpire calling no-balls. The amount the standing umpires were missing prior was taking the piss.

18 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

With regards to that, the situation with Covid has really played havoc with a lot of clubs here in sunny Yorkshire. Clubs in the Bradford League haven't even entered sides this season - they're stating it's due to Covid and player safety, but it's basically because not as many clubs are paying players this season so a lot of the mercenaries have fucked off. There's a club in the Huddersfield League called Hoylandswaine who still are paying lots of players. They have Azharullah from Northants, the Randhawa brothers who were on Yorkshire's books, Arron Lilley and Nathan Rimmington. They got 450-3 on Saturday and the opposition got 78. Scandalous. Some geezer got 313* - who is allegedly on 2 quid a run.

https://hoylandswaine.play-cricket.com/website/results/4456395

I play in the South Yorkshire Championship - which is the league below the ECB Premier League and the standard is woeful, mainly for that very reason. Lots of clubs have said they aren't paying players this year, so many players have simply gone to play for clubs that do pay. My club aren't paying anyone this year (which actually affects me, because I usually get paid to play - rightly or wrongly) and we are a very similar strength to before - without an Overseas player for obvious reasons. Incidentally, we're playing at Cleethorpes at the weekend, which is your neck of the woods I believe.

In conclusion, it's a little surprising/dissapointing the number of players who simply aren't playing- and it can't all be Covid related. If you're usually paid to play (either on a flat rate or performance related) and this year you aren't playing due to a lack of payment, then you're a disgrace.

• Paid Members

Just seen something that was linked on Reddit.

A club congratulating their player on a "batting hattrick. He was caught on a no ball, clean bowled from the free hit, the lbw the next ball. I think I'd give it up as a bad job if I were him!

• Paid Members

Annoyingly @Max Power I will be about 15 miles away from Cleethorpes on Saturday doing an umpire observation. 

Most of the clubs around here are playing and a couple are paying players. Grantham in the ECB Premier League have Mark Footitt who is still plenty sharp enough. The funniest one though is former Notts/Derby/Worcs quick bowler Andy Carter playing for Bracebridge Heath. He has played for them for the past few years getting in the region of £500 per game plus a 3k bonus for winning the league. Last year he didn't get his win bonus because they got beat on the final day and he spent the winter trying to get a team in the Yorkshire league for the same money. They all fucked him off and he is back at Bracebridge. They are unlikely to win it this year as well. There are very few overseas though, any that are here were in the country already.

The leagues are not playing normal fixtures though, each one has there own Covid cup competition to give them some semi-meaningful cricket. They are playing games a lot closer to home so as to cut down on travelling where they can. It is producing some mismatches, nothing like that though. I'm pleased I didn't umpire that, my arms would have fallen off from signalling all those boundaries. 

• Paid Members

Glad you had a good day.

The game I watched yesterday while doing the umpire observation was a cracker as well. Team batting first made 126 off 40 overs. Team batting 2nd were 93-3 with 14 overs to go. Game ended as a tie with a missed run out off the last ball with the team batting 2nd 9 down.