The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Moderators

Mike Watkinson was a hell of a player. The whole Lancs team in the 90s was full of stars in my eyes. Not as much as Glamorgan or Worcd, but still full of names. 

Who can name a Steve James or a Graham Lloyd now? Decent solid county pros

Cricket will be dead in 20 years over here. 

I've had a drink but it'll be dead 

• Paid Members

Fond memories of England calling up Watkinson and dragging Emburey out of semi-retirement to play two off-spinners on a Bunsen at Old Trafford in 1995. Watkinson was turning it miles.

• Moderators

I still say Thorpe should have played instead of Ian Bell in the 2005 ashses. Thorpe was reaching a Gooch "old man" cricket quality of form, but the choice was him or KP. 

Thorpe at 4, KP at 5? Yes please. Throw in Hick at 3 and I'd blow you. 

But seriously Thorpe gets shot for his dour 70s or 80s, but he was the only thing approaching a batsman in the middle order who wasn't Mark Butcher, a prematurely dropped Robin Smith, or had their confidence destroyed like Hick, Ramps or Crawley. 

Australia kept faith in Steve Waugh and Steve Smith. I think that kinda worked out for them very well. Especially Steve Smith. 2 years of dogshit, stayed with him and reaped the rewards. Imagine if England did that with Hick, Ramps or Crawley? 

England had such a great team in the 90s. Shame they never played them. The amount of caps Steve Watkin didn't get was a disgrace. He could swing it around corners on any pitch in the UK. 

Devon Malcolm was "wayward". Fucking hell, so is every express bowler. Martin McCague would have come good too. But the TCCB were a joke. 

Edited by PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Ramps didn't get on with anyone else in that team. His nickname was Brian Bloodaxe. He was a better player than he was ever given credit for though. I was there when he guided Peter Such to the 2nd longest duck in test history. He got 60 odd iirc. 

I agree on Watkin, fantastic bowler, how he only played 3 tests was a disgrace. 

• Moderators

Now there's another name. Peter Such. He was probably our best bowler in the 93 ashes. Should have had far more caps. 

When John Emburey (despite his arm ball which was pure sex) was playing instead of Peter Such in 1995, absolute joke.