The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

What a glorious knock it was too. Proper Test match batting and exactly what we have been crying out for since Cook retired from international cricket. Bat long, bat sensible. I'm in a TMS group on Facebook and it was bizarre seeing people criticise Sibley for batting too slowly. He does need to find that extra gear so he can kick on once a declaration is in sight, but that will come with experience.Ā 

• Paid Members

Root,Stokes,Pope and Buttler can all accelerate the scoring that is exactly his and Burns job. Its was great. Actually Buttlers sole fucking job is to capitalise on foundations like that.

Stokes was fantastic again. I might need to renege on a point I made early he could well be our best batsmen now.Ā 

• Paid Members

What the fuck is wrong with 20 and 50 over cricket for those that want a shorter, more intense game? A T20 match isn't much longer than a football match, but the powers that be seem intent on stripping the sport bit by bit until it's about 40 minutes long and filled with muscled up players who can belt almost ever over the rope, all because young 'un's have "no attention span". Shove you 100 and Triple team cricket up your fucking arses.Ā 

Test cricket is one of the only sports left that has stayed pure and faithful to it's roots, let's keep it that way, please.Ā 

Sorry for the rant!

Back to the current test, I think the first few days have been properĀ engrossing. A real battle between bat and ball where the constant swing and seam have ensured the batsmenĀ have had to fight for every single run. I'm praying it continues like this too...

Edited by Cod Eye

• Paid Members

50 over cricket was always my favourite format growing up for 2 reasons 1) I did have a shorter attention span and 2) and this is a much bigger reason I could watch a game to completion. This extended to when I was able to get to the Riverside to watch Durham. I could get to a days play but never several.

Even in my teens though I was always most enthralled by test cricket. Absolute pinnacle and allows for the ebbs and flows and requires a much wider array of skill.

Edited by ElCece

Still life in this game and a chance of all three results.

A lot of talk on Sky was about whether Root declares to allow more than 80 overs and have the second new ball at the end of the day. I guess around 10 overs batting to come out swinging in T20 to add another 50ish runs. If Root sets a target of 275 and dangles the carrot for West Indies to chase rather than digging in and batting out the day defensively, we could have a game on our hands.

Root and Stokes can score quickly in the morning. Then Pope, Curran and Woakes can come out and attack if a few wickets fall. Sibley and Burns can put their feet up and watch Homes Under the Hammer.

• Paid Members

Its a day 5 pitch, if they truly want to win(I think they need to view it as must win). Set them 240-250 and really dangle the carrot. Back your bowlers, Broad and Woakes looked fucking rolling with the 2nd new ball. I wouldn't fancy any teams chances of chasing 250.Ā 

They need to win this test not hope the Windies lose it.Ā 

• Paid Members
On 7/17/2020 at 11:21 PM, JNLister said:

There's an actual Triple Threat match tomorrow:Ā https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/live/cricket/53433563

Shock of shocks, this was a total bust. There's basically no way of doing a scorecard where you can figure out what's going on. Three missing fieldersĀ mean 28 an over doesn't feel particularly impressive. And while it didn't happen this time, there's a strong probability in every game that you get anything up to six overs where the fielding team is already certain to come third and thus its of no consequence to them whether they take wickets or concede runs.Ā 

• Paid Members
14 minutes ago, JNLister said:

Shock of shocks, this was a total bust. There's basically no way of doing a scorecard where you can figure out what's going on. Three missing fieldersĀ mean 28 an over doesn't feel particularly impressive. And while it didn't happen this time, there's a strong probability in every game that you get anything up to six overs where the fielding team is already certain to come third and thus its of no consequence to them whether they take wickets or concede runs.Ā 

I really don't get that triple threat format. All you hear from the likes of the ECB is that they wanted to simply the game for newer audiences, which is why someone came up with the "100" format.Ā 

The triple threat rules confused the shit out of me, and I've watched all forms of the sport, as well as played it for over 30 years.