The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Jimmy is going to play until he is fifty. I'm sure the only thing that keeps him running is that he knows Murali was a chucker and he wants to take his record away. 

I think it was Butch who once mentioned that he would go on Murali compilation videos and post 'NO BALL' in the comments and it's always made me laugh.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

Well from a bad start England recovered well. Joe Root put the stupid cross batted shots away and played proper test cricket and what do you know, he scored a hundred. The ball that got Stokes shot along at ankle height giving him no chance, but the pitch seemed to calm down after that really. If they could somehow get to 400 then they'll be in the game. 

• Paid Members

McCullum's suggestion that we were seeing a "better Root" playing the Bazball style looks even stupider now. You'd like to think they and Root will learn from this.

It was a really good recovery though, there's real character in this side now.

• Paid Members

A frustrating loss. It'll probably be another ten years until we have a chance similarly good to win or split a test series in India. Much like the Ashes, feel like we've let some results slip through our fingers.

At least it has been a good contest by and large. A far cry from some of the shite served up in recent tours when we had the likes of Gareth Batty playing games and Zafar Ansari, who literally quit cricket to become a lawyer about 6 months later. Pitches have been better than the embarrassments from last time too.

Edited by Gus Mears

• Paid Members

As good as the young spinners have looked the frustrating thing is that poor old Jack Leach just can't get through a series uninjured. The other thing is how good do the young Indian players look. Jaiswal is the ultimate bazball player and Jurel looks born to play Test cricket. That never ending cricket production line that is India will continue to be a powerhouse for ever. Us and the Convicts are going to be playing catch up for ever. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

That never ending cricket production line that is India will continue to be a powerhouse for ever. Us and the Convicts are going to be playing catch up for ever. 

Considering India's population, the popularity of the sport and the fact that our pool of players consists of about 80 private schools, I don't think we fare too badly honestly.

• Paid Members

Nice to see our spinners start to take wickets when the Indians have more than doubled our score. It will be a real surprise if Jimmy gets chance to get his 700th wicket in the second innings. 

Away from that, Duncan Fearnley has died. I had a Fearnley Magnum or two in the 90s-2000s and as one of the senior players Keith remarked on more than one occasion "That is wasted on you, it's a Magnum ice cream thar you're good with" which was a more than fair comment. Anyway old Duncan made some good bats, that were sadly wasted on my cow corner slogging. Keith himself had a Fearnley that was like a railway sleeper, I couldn't bat with it, not that he'd let me. Keith had been a very good player in his younger days, had played for Lincolnshire Gentlemen but had fallen out of favour when he was scoring a game one day because of injury. Him and the other scorer had been assigned a lad to fetch and carry for them and they had spent the day getting him to fetch drinks from the bar. Keith was always generous and had told the lad to get one for himself when they sent him. By mid to late afternoon the lad was pretty hammered. Unfortunately for Keith he was the son of the Mayor Of Lincoln who was giving out the awards at the end of the day. He was also only 14 years old. Keith told us that he had assumed he was getting himself soft drinks, which is fair enough, but also knowing Keith he didn't really care, he once offered his beta blockers around like sweets before a game. If I'd known then what I know now I'd have taken one. 

• Paid Members

I was wrong. Jimmy got his 700th wicket. Just a shame it had to be in such a crushing defeat. If you only bat 105 overs in your two innings combined you are going to struggle, not even getting to day 4 is awful. I'm sure the bowlers will be changed around for the next test, you don't need two spinners at home. The batsmen will all get another go I'd imagine. 

• 1 month later...