The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• Paid Members

Made up for missing out there by going to The Hundred in Cardiff and seeing Tammy Beaumont break every record going with 118. Just ridiculous stuff where she was clearly picking out exactly where she'd put the ball across the boundary before the bowler even started their run-up. She twatted a couple, but most of the shots you couldn't even hear the bat connect because she was just gently placing them through gaps nobody realised were gaps.

• 3 weeks later...

spacer.png

Now that's what I call a proper sized trophy. Our first XI clinched their first premiership title last weekend, finally breaking Hoylandswaine's five-year long grip on the trophy. Plus our second XI won their division (and promotion) too. Only real downside was losing in the cup final a few weeks ago, we play Hoylandswaine in the T20 final tomorrow so still an opportunity for a double at least.

• 2 weeks later...

UPDATE

Four weeks ago we'd won two out of the first 18 games - albeit with 7 rained off. We were in the shit. 20 points in the relegation zone (12 for a win). Well fast forward a month, and we've won our last four - including beating both the second and third in the league, and have finished 9th of 12 - 24 points from safety.

Yours truly managed 101 runs and 18 wickets during that period, after being shit for most of the season.

The downside was putting the sightscreens away on Saturday night into our nets - this is comfortably the worst thing ever. Wheeling two massive wooden shits across our field and round the square. Hate it. 

Edited by Max Power

Careening towards the end of my second Summer in charge of marketing and comms with Surrey at The Oval, and I have to be honest this season has been utterly nuts. Feels like there's just been so much bloody cricket.

Still, I get to spend the last week of September at an on-site Holiday Inn at the Ageas Bowl, so that's fun.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I feel like they're pinning all their hopes on this World Cup rebooting interesting in ODIs, much like the 2015 one did. Everyone was sounding the death knell for it and then everyone (except England) was clobbering sixes from the word go. I just wonder, going forward, if the Champions Trophy format would be preferable for the World Cup, make every game matter and reduce its running time. It doesn't need to drag on for weeks.

• Paid Members

T20 has really put the squeeze on the 50 over format. It's hard to sell the original concept of "A match in a day" when we have already boiled it down to "A match in 3 and a half hours" for T20. 

I'm sure that with the TikTok generation clamouring for immediacy that the 10 ball innings will arrive at some point. Each team member bowls one ball at another team member, only the wicketkeeper doesn't bowl, fielding done by robots controlled by the fans. The IPL are already setting up franchises. 

• Paid Members

So you know the annoying way that in The Hundred, the BBC mikes up fielders and interviews them during the game (usually getting out of breath, distracted responses by somebody who could be asked to take a catch at any moment.) Australian TV in the Womens BBL took it a step further and miked up the wicket keeper. They were asking her questions between deliveries and then being surprised when she was responding very briskly during the bowler's run-up.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

I don't like to see Australians celebrate but I do like to see some top shithousery so I'm conflicted this afternoon. India had one bad game in the tournament and unfortunately it was the final. Australia bowled well and fielded better. India with a glimmer hope after 3 quick wickets but Travis Head ground them into the dirt. 

Something needs to be done to shorten the tournament though. Two games per day would help for a start. Why they can't have groups like the football with 4 teams and have quarter finals as well as semi finals is beyond me, more games with actual consequences would make it more entertaining.