The All New Cricket Thread!

PowerButchi

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Did you play at the weekend @Max Power?

On a separate note, Archer out for the summer with a recurrence of his elbow problem that he aggravated playing in the IPL. Bloody Mickey Mouse cricket. It would be a worry that we might not see Archer play a Test again.  

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Did you play at the weekend @Max Power?

Yeah, I think he needs to just focus on white ball cricket from now on. Mind you, he's struggling to play any of that. A shame that England have a batch of high quality fast bowlers around at the moment and they're always crocked. Maybe they should take a punt on Brydon Carse or is he injured as well?

Edited by Devon Malcolm

I probably do need to focus on white ball cricket to be fair, cheers Devon.

We were rained off two weeks ago at a side that came down from the Premier League, so we'll take that.

Last week though was incredible. Away at Cawthorne. A lovely ground and a decent set of lads. We batted first and managed to scramble to 149 on a wet wicket. The home team then looked to be in control at 100-3, before collapsing to 130-8.

I then came back on to bowl at their number 10. With figures of 4-38 from 12 I was confident. 6,6,6,2,4. A terrible 5 minutes with a bloke just swinging from his arse and hitting me miles. Would have been incredible to watch to be fair. Proper Carlos Brathwaite moment. So we lost.

I then drank about 6 pints of Pravha in about 25 minutes.

• Paid Members
31 minutes ago, Max Power said:

I probably do need to focus on white ball cricket to be fair, cheers Devon.

Haha, I know how much that elbow of yours has bothered you!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

So we rightly paid little attention to the"Test" against the Mick's. In red ball cricket they are barely better than County Two's so Test runs and wickets shouldn't really count but they do. The only thing of any note that came out of it was Leach's back injury. Sounds like they want Moeen to come out of red ball retirement to play. We do have a dearth of spinning options. Can't really go in with 4 seamers and Root. 

Rehan Ahmed? Admittedly his debut came in Pakistan where the pitches are a bit more suited to spin (apparently less so than in other parts of the subcontinent), but you'd think taking seven wickets in your debut Test (including a 5/48) would see you in the team for a second Test appearance at some point surely?

8 hours ago, Tamura said:

Rehan Ahmed? Admittedly his debut came in Pakistan where the pitches are a bit more suited to spin (apparently less so than in other parts of the subcontinent), but you'd think taking seven wickets in your debut Test (including a 5/48) would see you in the team for a second Test appearance at some point surely?

I don’t follow as closely as I used to, but it strikes me as a very England thing to try and bring someone back as bowler who “can bat a bit” rather than going for a lesser known quantity. Moeen averages 25 with the bat and 64 with the ball in tests vs Australia. 

• Paid Members

At the minute they see Rehan as a good second spinner not as a true number one, which I think is probably right. Will Jacks is more of a batsman, he also took 6 wickets on debut, but had Moeen not retired from Tests he would have played in Pakistan last winter, they tried to get him to go then. We will have to see, Moeen is his own man.  

In local cricket news our season goes from strength to strength, while Hoylandswaine's gets worse and worse. The all-stars at Hoylandswaine go into most seasons as the team to beat, since they've managed five consecutive league titles. This weekend we faced them twice in the league and cup, both away. Despite the absence of one of our opening bowlers we crushed them in the league by 153 runs, followed by a slightly closer win by 48 runs in the cup. Only the quarter final of the cup, shame it wasn't a showcase final again (which we've beaten Hoylandswaine in the last two years). Things are looking good though, we're currently top of the league and Hoylandswaine are languishing in mid-table mediocrity. Just a shame I'm not directly involved any more since it wasn't worth putting up with extra work and ever-increasing aggravation from some club officials for the same money as before.

spacer.png

Edited by Tamura

12 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Looking at the Moorlands team there Tamura, Braiden Fortis sounds like a name that was created by the NXT random name generator. 

He's actually a member of a Moorlands cricket dynasty. I used to play occasionally with Andy Fortis's dad and uncle back in the late 80s and early 90s, whenever they'd let me turn out for the Sunday side anyway. Braiden's uncle Lee might be the best known of the family, he's the head groundsman at The Oval.

Edited by Tamura